It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan refugees

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The next big question to pop up is "What do we do with the refugees from Afghanistan" and I think the answer is simple. Integrate them into the American culture as quickly and orderly as possible.

From doctors and lawyers to farmers, teachers, interpreters and more..Afghan immigrants are high performance earners. Those who worked to assist the US military especially, but anyone who embraced Western culture/ideals will find more of a home here than in the new Afghanistan. Young women who were born under the US-backed government have more in common with American culture than that pushed by the Taliban. They seek education, freedom and self determination. A gift to end all gifts...once given that can not be simply taken back.

Many Afghanis went to bat for us when we needed them. I think we should do the same, in the typical American spirit of kindness and generosity

We can not leave them behind

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Not if we want to be taken seriously as an ally, friend and trusted partner any time soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The next big question to pop up is "What do we do with the refugees from Afghanistan" and I think the answer is simple. Integrate them into the American culture as quickly and orderly as possible.

From doctors and lawyers to farmers, teachers, interpreters and more..Afghan immigrants are high performance earners. Those who worked to assist the US military especially, but anyone who embraced Western culture/ideals will find more of a home here than in the new Afghanistan. Young women who were born under the US-backed government have more in common with American culture than that pushed by the Taliban. They seek education, freedom and self determination. A gift to end all gifts...once given that can not be simply taken back.

Many Afghanis went to bat for us when we needed them. I think we should do the same, in the typical American spirit of kindness and generosity

We already went to bat for them, for the last 20 years. They should have gone to bat for themselves and run the taliban out of town with their numbers....there are 4 million in Kabul alone. I have no more need for anyone else coming to the US that won't fight for what they believe in. Even their leaders ducked out. We have enough bleeding hearts and handouts in the US already.

They just all ran away and expected someone else to do the hard work....no thanks.
edit on 8/18/21 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Every word you have written here true. Anyone that would disagree with any of it would be damn wrong. The question to follow yours would be, Does our "leadership" have the wherewithal to do the right thing?

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think Paul explains it well and without any virtue signaling.

edit on AugWed, 18 Aug 2021 12:53:10 -05003America/Chicago2021 by MrNeo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Th British government has already committed to taking 25,000 Afghan refugees with that number likely to rise , what with people trying to enter our country illegally , the number of EU citizens already living here plus the additional tens of thousands of Afghans due to arrive I'm starting to feel like a stranger in my own country.

Afghanistan is their country , they should either fight for it or work to make it a better place not abandon it.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

We already went to bat for them, for the last 20 years. They should have gone to bat for themselves and run the taliban out of town with their numbers....there are 4 million in Kabul alone. I have no more need for anyone else coming to the US that won't fight for what they believe in. Even their leaders ducked out. We have enough bleeding hearts and handouts in the US already.

They just all ran away and expected someone else to do the hard work....no thanks.

I disagree --- The Afghan Army saw "the writing on the wall," what with the ongoing Taliban blitzkrieg happening across Afghanistan. And even the Biden Administration had possession of "top secret" military memos (that they didn't release to the public) saying that the Taliban were indeed going to take over the country, militarily, in no time at all.

Though there still is some ongoing, token military resistance against the Taliban, in a Pashtun province in Afghanistan; with Massoud as their leader.
edit on 18-8-2021 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

edit on 18-8-2021 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Do you honestly think this administration will allow anyone who might seek a better life and independence to come here? Look what the Biden Admin did to the Cubans wanting to get away from the communism there, he blocked their passageway into America. They do this because they don't want you here if you won't be a sure vote for them.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86

I disagree --- The Afghan Army saw "the writing on the wall," what with the ongoing Taliban blitzkrieg happening across Afghanistan. And even the Biden Administration had possession of "top secret" military memos (that they didn't release to the public) saying that the Taliban were indeed going to take over the country militarily in no time at all.

Like I said....if they didn't want the Taliban to take the country they could have taken the fight to them. But alas....yet another country that expects the US to be daddy. This is exactly what happens when handouts occur. People get used to it and placate themselves with neat new stuff, but when it comes down to it, they just want to get neat new stuff and not actually do the work for it.

Sure, that isn't all encompassing, but it is obvious the majority of the country just doesn't have any will to help themselves or fight for what is right. Why would I want that here? Why would anyone? I don't want a neighbor that just runs away if me and my family are getting killed....that is what millions in Afghanistan just did....ran and hid.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Th British government has already committed to taking 25,000 Afghan refugees with that number likely to rise , what with people trying to enter our country illegally , the number of EU citizens already living here plus the additional tens of thousands of Afghans due to arrive I'm starting to feel like a stranger in my own country.

Afghanistan is their country , they should either fight for it or work to make it a better place not abandon it.

Civilization - or should I say, civilized countries - will fall because the leaders try to act too humane by letting scared people in and regardless of how nice or sweet it may look, that's not how the living world works. That's why you don't see bears living in tiger dens or lions living with gazelles.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

But alas....yet another country that expects the US to be daddy. This is exactly what happens when handouts occur.

I think asking your ally/friend not to let your enemies murder/rape you isn't exactly a 'handout', it's more like a realistic expectation.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The majority of Afghans are tired of war.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I agree.
We sure trained them as best as we could and helped bolster their armaments etc.
It's the country a lot of them want.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I said it before; LBJ was a toolbag, but when you’re right, you’re right:

“We are not about to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.”

When oh when will we learn?!

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

But alas....yet another country that expects the US to be daddy. This is exactly what happens when handouts occur.

I think asking your ally/friend not to let your enemies murder/rape you isn't exactly a 'handout', it's more like a realistic expectation.

It's pretty obvious Afghanistan is not considered an ally anymore.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Change the word "Afghanistan" for "Mexico" and tell me what do you think.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

I mean we tried. We tried so hard we lost brothers and sisters we shouldn't have. and for what?
It's their turn now. We can't hold their hand forever.
They had 20 years ! They should have been ready for this on their own!
The problem is not the wicked USA leaving, its them not using the training they were given and the culture being what it is.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
It's pretty obvious Afghanistan is not considered an ally anymore.

The people who worked closely with us in our incoherent mission over there our still are friends and allies.

edit on 18-8-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Many of them are far away from Kabul Airport. Roads blocked with checkpoints.

It comes down to either the U.S. is willing to re-invade in order to extract them
or
a totally non-sanctioned band of Rambos goes in and dies trying.

The way I feel is

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'm hearing there are still thousands of American citizens in Kabul .

If they are captured by the Taliban , what do you think is going to happen ?

It's going to be an international incident of epic proportions , The USA will have no choice but to re-deploy combat troops .

edit on 18-8-2021 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join