It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 terabytes of Dallas Police case file data deleted

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
If some bobo accidentally deleted those files it would have been a breeze to get them back.

Would have been? Easy to say when you actually don't have any details.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I worked in IT (Networking) most of my life and these is no way you accidentally lose this much date just by making a backup. How old the system it is on does not matter as you dont even use that system software itself. So unless a drive died thats not happening at all and if a drive dies you send it to one of those labs to recover it where they can even recover data from burned drives cause by fires. This can cost 1 to 5K at best.

And i dont see how adding hackers pertains to this event in anyway other then padding your post.

You can easily lose huge amounts of data by making a backup..

Specifically if its triggered by a Python or some other similar script, a JIRA task , a DRS failure in the Cisco Collab ecosystem or virtualization engineer not understanding why VM Tools, like a VM Snahpshot, and RTP traffic dont play nice. I swear not a single one of those scenarios has added to my stress levels over my professional life, lol

How old the system is absolutely does matter for multiple reasons beyond just using the system software.

data recovery isn't the be all and end all safety net when it comes to enterprise deployments.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Exactly
a reply to: jjkenobi

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If some bobo accidentally deleted those files it would have been a breeze to get them back.

Would have been? Easy to say when you actually don't have any details.

It is easy to say because the details in that scenario that you brought up make it that straight forward. Go and delete a HDD/SSD of your own. In this scenario where you know what you've done and when you done it you cold have it all back within the hour. If you dont know how you can send it to tech repair. If the drive is physically damaged or overwritten in parts send it to as data recovery lab.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   

In this scenario where you know what you've done and when you done it you cold have it all back within the hour. If you dont know how you can send it to tech repair. If the drive is physically damaged or overwritten in parts send it to as data recovery lab.

Your assumption is the person doing this knowing what they are doing or even actually doing this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join