It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 terabytes of Dallas Police case file data deleted

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
ROTFLMAO

Earlier this month, officials learned that a data migration of the police department’s network drive led to the loss of data in April 2021, according to Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot. The 22 terabytes of files were deleted between March 31, 2021, and April 5, 2021(!!!!).

Creuzot said about 14 terabytes were recovered but that eight terabytes are still missing and may not be able to be recovered.

Twitter

I'm just...I have backed up a lot of drives...I have had systems for nightly and weekly backup...I have lost some data but this?

What are they hiding in Dallas?
edit on 8/18/2021 by BlissSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/18/2021 by BlissSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
OH man, their IT department should be fired and replaced.

That is just, wow! I know that Gov goes with lowest cost, but not when it comes to this. What happened to all that money going to the Police Departments for Military grade equipment? Even the armed forces have better IT personal and equipment so this doesn't happen.

Nightly backups and snapshots are a must these days.

22TB is A LOT of DATA; evidence, documents, videos, picts

It does almost sound like they are hiding something.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BlissSeeker

Until you stop and realize that a good amount of public IT infrastructure runs on platforms that are most likely older than a good portion of the membership. It's a serious weak link which sadly isn't limited to public networks, a good amount of private ones are running on trash systems that your kids could hack.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   

(Image from OPs Twitter Link)

files.abovetopsecret.com...

There are probably many people, who will immediately become religious after learning of this data loss. They will start praying to God that the entire case against them has now been completely erased.

I assume that once the prosecutors/detectives start working through their cases, they will probably find much more of this missing data, but it's probably gonna be a pain in the ass for many of them now having to sift through unorganized cases. Will probably screw up their scheduling for awhile as well.

Sucks to be them.

edit on 8/18/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yeah and I suspect we’ll see a lot more of this with all the “hacking” cooperatives going on. The “good” and “bad” guys working together completely in the open.

The veil is getting mighty thin.

Something can only get so big before it self-destructs. High time & Good riddance to the perverted caste system disguising itself as governance of the pleebs. We’re seeing it on all levels as the governance part grows too fat on its own power and the pleebs rise in awareness from skimped rations
reply to: Skada

edit on 18-8-2021 by Ideashavenomother because: Sp

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
"Redundancy ? We don't need no stinkin redundancy"

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   

It took them 3 months to realize 22 TB of data was missing? I'd guess ,without knowing the entire story, that this data is from really old cases? If not, then they must not be working on anything recent....

Either way, that's a mistake that will have big ramifications for even unrelated cases. It will give most anyone a reason to appeal.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I also wonder if this may have been a disgruntled employee or a malicious internal IT staff issue. Someone that wants to defend the police or strike a major blow to their reputation. I could easily see this being the case.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I don't believe in coincidences. Follow the cases, who gets released, and then follow the money.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

It took them 3 months to realize 22 TB of data was missing?

No. It says they became aware of it on April 5, but it wasn't until August 6 that the "Dallas Police Department & City of Dallas Information & Technologies Service Department informed the administration of this Office*...."

*this Office maybe = District Attorney.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Until you stop and realize that a good amount of public IT infrastructure runs on platforms that are most likely older than a good portion of the membership. It's a serious weak link which sadly isn't limited to public networks, a good amount of private ones are running on trash systems that your kids could hack.

Truth! I deal with it on a regular basis. So do some other members here.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

We're currently working with an airline who's software was implemented in the 1960's.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

We're currently working with an airline who's software was implemented in the 1960's.

Yep. Their proprietary software only runs on that system and they either refuse to update it, or they can't find a programmer who can update like they want. Common problem.

I have a handful of clients whose main system is DOS or Windows 98 and they aren't updating any time soon. The only good thing is they aren't online.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The only good thing is they aren't online.

The issue for us doing CSA/CSE is that they are online and in possession of people's personal information along with their own proprietary data.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I wouldn't rule out ulterior motives, but AM is right, the age of the system and the people doing the work need to be looked at as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I don't believe in coincidences. Follow the cases, who gets released, and then follow the money.[/quote[

Me: I don't believe in coincidences.
Husband: Follow the cases, who gets released, and then follow the money

So, here we are:
Man Accused of Murder at Notorious ‘Hotel of Horrors’ in Northwest Dallas is Ordered Released on Bond After Massive Police Data Loss: Court Records

From article: An indictment indicates that Pitts is accused of shooting and killing Shun Handy in late Jan. 2019. The precise facts and circumstances of the victim’s death are not outlined in easily accessible public court files, but the Dallas Morning News reported that the shooting occurred at the “notorious” Han Gil Hotel Town on the northwest side of the city. While reminding readers that a federal judge once called the facility a “hotel of horrors,” the Morning News noted that “[t]he slaying of Handy is hardly the only transgression that occurred” at the facility...

As the district court observed, Mun maintained “a hotel of horrors” that was the scene of numerous drug deals, repeated overdoses, several deaths, and various instances of torture.

“The people of Dallas deserve answers about what happened, why top city staff kept it quiet for months, and what can be done to resolve these critical issues that affect public safety,” Johnson told both the AP and the Morning News via a statement.

After some thought - pehaps the Dallas PD are involved? Looks ugly

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The only good thing is they aren't online.

The issue for us doing CSA/CSE is that they are online and in possession of people's personal information along with their own proprietary data.

Which goes right back to what you said in your first post...

...a good amount of private ones are running on trash systems that your kids could hack.

It is the large businesses and corporations that are painfully slow to update and secure their systems more so than the small ones, so I'm not surprised you have one or more of these clients.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It is the large businesses and corporations that are painfully slow to update and secure their systems more so than the small ones, so I'm not surprised you have one or more of these clients.

We have 100's.

Good for business, bad for you, the private citizen.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Is RAID not a thing anymore?

Hard to believe they could just “lose” that much data.

Either incompetence or on-purpose.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Dallas police and courts will implode if it's criminal data and cases. Enormous amount of data. A flood of harcore criminals will have to be released if they have an appeal in process.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join