It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Found “Complex Organic Matter” in Our Solar System, And It Shouldn’t Be There

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I am one of those who believe the building blocks of life are scattered throughout the entire universe so I therefore lean towards the possibility of Panspermia. This latest finding seems to be another straw added to that theory if they are correct in their assessment.

Led by Hasegawa Sunao, an Associate Senior Researcher at JAXA’s Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), and supported by an international team of researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Hawai’i, Seoul National University, Kyoto University, and the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Marseille, the group first zeroed in on 203 Pompeja just to make sure they were reading the unusual spectroscopic data correctly. And what they found, they say, was utterly unexpected.

So lets just say not a bunch of light weights are studying this discovery.

In a recently published survey of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, a group of scientists from around the globe found something hanging around the inner Solar System that they say simply should not be there; a pair of dark red rocks seemingly covered in complex organic material.

“Two asteroids (203 Pompeja and 269 Justitia) have been discovered with a redder spectrum than any other object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter,” a Japanese Aerospace Exploration Association (JAXA) release states. And according to that same release, “spectroscopic observations suggest the presence of complex organic matter on the surface of these asteroids.”

thedebrief.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I therefore lean towards the possibility of Panspermia.

Seems to me that the building blocks are found would tend to support the idea that life can get a start on its own, rather than coming from someplace else.

Now, if something other than chemicals are found, that might change things.

edit on 8/15/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   
well scientist aren`t very smart they think they know everything but they don`t

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rsvpzxc

Brilliant contribution!

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Very interesting.

I too like the idea of panspermia and believe it happens.

I also think given the right circumstances life will start almost anywhere.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rsvpzxc

I'm pretty sure there's not a single scientist on the planet that claims to know everything, try to avoid knee jerk responses if you can. I learnt that it can become very embarrassing 👍🏼

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rsvpzxc

If you believe that then you misunderstand the nature of science.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Exactly, and if he /she also believes you don't have to be smart to be a scientist, they could just quickly go learn some physics or biology and become a scientist themselves? surely?

Exactly.

Epic knee jerk fail lol
edit on 15-8-2021 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Science is the only tool we have at our disposal that will allow us to attempt to measure, observe, and understand, our universe and the reality we experience.

People who cannot get their heads around that concept "aren`t very smart".
edit on 15-8-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The way the media portrays science and the experts, I can see why rsvpzxc made that comment.

The media scientists and spokes people often come off as know it all's that can't be refuted. That tends to paint science with a broad authoritarian brush while ignoring the scientific process and the evidence it produces.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
The way the media portrays science and the experts, I can see why rsvpzxc made that comment.

The media scientists and spokes people often come off as know it all's that can't be refuted. That tends to paint science with a broad authoritarian brush while ignoring the scientific process and the evidence it produces.

Exactly, don't know why people are so suprised. Scientists haven't been viewed in the best light by many since 2020. Let's not forget many take theories as fact then act all shocked when a new discovery completely flips that theory on it's head.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Mass media/mass communication could not be possible without scientific progress.

And nether for that matter would we be able to communicate in the manner we are now doing without science and technology.

I take your point as to NEWS all the same and media companies mixed rhetoric, which generally amounts to which side of the political fence they happen to find themselves imho.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I'm not expecting much.

We've only ever observed Biogenesis.

edit on 8/15/2021 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I wish I was one of those scientists. On the news the other day it was reported that there is an asteroid heading towards Earth; and it has a chance to collide with Earth... between now and the year 2030.
edit on amSundayAmerica/Chicagoxam815Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:45:03 -0500amAmerica/Chicago by alexandrae because: correct spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake

I'm not necesarilly agreeing with the poster, but there have been millions of harmful products made and sold to the public due to their hubris, unless they just happen to be evil beings.
edit on 8/15/2021 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead
a reply to: FinallyAwake

I'm not necesarilly agreeing with the poster, but there have been millions of harmful products made and sold to the public due to their hubris, unless they just happen to be evil beings.

I hear you and agree 😒

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: alexandrae

Our planet gets hit with asteroid all the time alexandrae.

It's there angle of attack, velocity, composition, and mass that are of concern.

Was the one on the NEWS a big'yin?

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: alexandrae

If that Asteroid is Bennu then there is a small chance it could hit next Century , NASA put the odds at 1 in 2,700.

Between the years 2175 and 2199, the chance that Bennu will impact Earth is only 1-in-2,700, but scientists still don’t want to turn their backs on the asteroid. Bennu swoops through the solar system on a path that scientists have confidently predicted, but they will refine their predictions with the measurement of the Yarkovsky Effect by OSIRIS-REx and with future observations by astronomers.
www.nasa.gov...

The Chinese have a plan to shoot rockets at it to save us from the small chance it has of hitting us but as Bennu is a rubble pile Asteroid that doesn't seem to be a smart idea.
edit on 15-8-2021 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I therefore lean towards the possibility of Panspermia.

Seems to me that the building blocks are found would tend to support the idea that life can get a start on its own, rather than coming from someplace else.

Now, if something other than chemicals are found, that might change things.

I believe we already found abiogenesis is not a certainty, but certainly possible. abiogenesis

ETA: dont you dare respond w/o at least clicking the link.
edit on 15-8-2021 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake

originally posted by: gortex

Exactly, and if he /she also believes you don't have to be smart to be a scientist, they could just quickly go learn some physics or biology and become a scientist themselves? surely?

Exactly.

Epic knee jerk fail lol

But that is exactly how easy science is, isn’t it? Learn some principles and observe the results of your experiments with them. Deduce knowledge, devise experiments to verify and rinse repeat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join