It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dumb Vibe!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sooo, talking about emoji and typo's and cross language interpretation...

I can't get over my typo in the OP and been laughing so hard about it:

'Every time I meat a co-worker'

because in my native language, that sentence got a whole different meaning!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

On the other hand, it's really not that hard to enter a smiley at the end of a sentence and if that's all that it takes to defuse the situation or de-esculate a situation and not trigger the other person, to let them know that you're not challenging them to a life or death battle of the egos, then why not?

It's really not hard to say "I am not trying to hurt you" with a

That's what effective communication is, when you don't want to hurt the other person that is.

I know that people are offended about everything these days but there is a line, you know. People are tone deaf online and when you don't consider how others might feel or respond, it's just low emotional intelligence. And it could lead to justifying abusive behavior as well, if you just don't care about how anybody else feels and if you refuse to take any responsibility for how they might feel in regards to how you treat them, how you speak to them.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   
One other thing I've noted is there are true 'haters' here. They will attempt to bait you into discussion, and use emogis to hide their hate for you, to get past the mods. They really have no life, they've never done anything and yet they feel empowered to comment...AGAINST YOU!

Your best bet is to just ignore them, because they represent nobody, just their own insecure selves. It's sad someone could ever live like that, but they do. Their supposed weapon is to just ask a sarcastic question, after sarcastic question, to pain YOU in a different light. Fine...so be it.

I won't name name's but soon enough you will know them.

edit on 8/11/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

Spellcheck won't catch homophones. It's one of the reasons why editors still have jobs. All the spellcheck cares about is if the word is a legit word.

Meat is fine as far as words go. Spellcheck programs really have no way to reliably check to see if it's being used in the proper context. When we got to meet others for meat at the pub, both words sound exactly the same, but they mean really different things and the spelling is likewise different. Spellcheck doesn't care beyond checking that you spelled a word right.

That's one of the reasons that English is a difficult language to learn.

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   

You don't have a dumb tone, nor a dumb vibe, to me.

But am dumber than you, so my opinion is worth less than dirt... LoL !!

Have you ever considered the idea : that what someone, or another, may think of you, has more to do with them, than with you ?

You can weigh that idea, versus your observations of your own mind, while considering other folks.
( If you ever observe yourself jumping to a conclusion about someone, that you don't really know much about. Or if you find yourself throwing a label at someone. )

You are just, simply, you.
The most perfectly imperfect version of you, that the Universe created, right-here, right-now.
Assume your wonderful self, and don't worry about those judging you.

Not everybody gets-along with everybody else, in life, at work, and here on ATS.
Doesn't mean any are more righteous than others.
Just the way we are, and just the way it is.

Make it a priority to learn to Love yourself, always, everywhere, and as gently as you would Love an innocent toddler.
Be gentle and Loving, with yourself and others.
The arseholes will just roll-off of your shoulders, like water off-of a duck.

Don't worry about it.
Many are not here to be nice, but just get a thrill out of confrontation.
Learn to spot them, and keep your distance.

Not everything is as it appears, just as you, may not be as you appear to each different ATS reader.
Don't worry about it.
We have no control over what others may, or may not think.
Be happy in your heart.

And tell Nothin to stop telling you what to do !!! LoL !!!

posted on Aug, 11 2021 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
By the way, I didn't notice the misspelling of IPCC right away, but when I was explaining my post to someone else I was all "The IPPC put out a ... wait, what? Is that IPPC or IPCC?"

That's not misspelling : that's miss-abbreviating.
Which is a much, much, way more much egregiously equivalent boo-boo.

Once had a 'friend' named Miss Abbreviating.
But that's a story for another day.

You have a very nice online personality, but that's just my dummy opinion.

What's better : LoL !!! ; or Heech-heech-heech !! ?

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I'll tell you what, there are some people here who play exactly the game you just typed. They hide behind emojis so they can be arrogant, rude and abrasive (I might even go as far as...libelous and slander too). This is one of the reasons I seldom use emojis, because that's even more smug than just being an outright dick.

I know what you're talking about, and I agree for the most part. Only time I like using emojis is when I'm being flirty. ;P

But in all seriousness. I just say what I'm going to say, and if someone has a problem with it, then we talk about it some more. That is, unless they can't express themselves and churn out frothing word salad. If that's the case I'll just tell them to have a great day and be on my way.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Exactly, and I felt no offense.

Now remove those smiles and the tone changes.

So, the sarcasm went over your head?

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

You are responsible for your own happiness, and you alone choose how you are going to react to something.

As far as emotional intelligence goes it might benefit you to look up what traits are actually associated with a low level of emotional intelligence.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
Sooo, talking about emoji and typo's and cross language interpretation...

I can't get over my typo in the OP and been laughing so hard about it:

'Every time I meat a co-worker'

because in my native language, that sentence got a whole different meaning!

Yeah, you could have said..."Every time I 'lay some pipe' on a co-worker"

I'll, ummm, see my way out.

I'm here all week, BTW.
edit on 8/12/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I suffer from what's called:

I know that certain acronyms developed to make it quicker to write certain things online,
but,
It took me a few years to discover that LOL meant Laughing Out Loud, and sometimes it was not used in a laughing with you sort of way.

I would see that LOL and feel good because someone was saying Lots Of Luck; "Ah, well that's nice".

That's why my online personality may seem nice. One of these days, one of these days, I'll know all the nasty acronyms too; and then something untoward may spring from my fingertips.

Heech (Persian word "nothing") in a Cage.

Heech-heech-heech would amount to nothing, no acronym required.

okay, maybe --
edit on 12-8-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena
Thanks for introducing the word 'Heech'......and the sculpture.

"The concept of nothingness plays an important role in Sufism, a mystical branch of Islam. Heech represents the annihilation of self, the final threshold along the path toward unity with God."
www.flickr.com...

Nothing is caged.....

edit on 12-8-2021 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   

but I read your tone as 'angry'

I like to think of it as a little more nuanced than that. I trigger easily, images rise to surface and ...

But this is your rant, so, as I see it, it seems a conflict of internal self image with external self image.

I happen to be triggered at the moment so I'll just ruthlessly tear into this Phil Collins song.

So defiantly asserting his self.

but there is a catch:

Get out of my way
Let me by
D'you hear? I don't care anymore
I don't care no more
You listening?

He does need the feed back from the others. That's the external self image part.

I stumbled across a thing while looking for other things:
Harvard Business Review of all places. Supposed to be executive coaching.
see:What Self-Awareness Really Is (and How to Cultivate It)

Across the studies we examined, two broad categories of self-awareness kept emerging. The first, which we dubbed internal self-awareness, represents how clearly we see our own values, passions, aspirations, fit with our environment, reactions (including thoughts, feelings, behaviors, strengths, and weaknesses), and impact on others. We’ve found that internal self-awareness is associated with higher job and relationship satisfaction, personal and social control, and happiness; it is negatively related to anxiety, stress, and depression.

The second category, external self-awareness, means understanding how other people view us, in terms of those same factors listed above. Our research shows that people who know how others see them are more skilled at showing empathy and taking others’ perspectives. For leaders who see themselves as their employees do, their employees tend to have a better relationship with them, feel more satisfied with them, and see them as more effective in general.

It’s easy to assume that being high on one type of awareness would mean being high on the other. But our research has found virtually no relationship between them.

I hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The article was really interesting and it has a point.

My external self awareness is extremely low and it has always been that way. For a very long time I really didn't care what other people thought of me because I know that the majority of people have different interests then me, different opinions and different lifestyles. So of course they would give me resistance, especially family. And I didn't care one bit.

When I did start caring at one point I knew right away that I didn't have a clue about how others see me, and when I asked certain people straight out, their answers were not as expected at all!

That is why at this point I just try to blend in and not be in the center of attention, especially at work.
It works most of the time,
except when I am triggered!

Of course, here on ATS it's an entire different story, I stick to my opinions until someone comes along with a good enough argument that can change my mind. There is no blending in here, unless you stop posting.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

LOL
yes, something in that direction

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Snc lkg-up def of SOAD, am unbl to wrt nrml wrds.

Ok : won't write like that all day, maybe... ( Normally would be a LoL !! here, but don't want to appear passive-aggressive. )

Thought LoL meant Lot's-of-Laughs for a couple of years, back around 2000 or before, maybe...

Thanks for posting that sculpture. Very nice !!

At the risk of disappointing folks, who may have thought of me as smarter : didn't know that definition of ' Heech ', but did notice that it rhymed with Cheech and beach.

Hangin with Cheech, on the beach, doin Heech... ( Heech-heech-heech !!! )

When writing that : am not encouraging the reader to transcend the world of things, but it's merely a feeble attempt at demonstrating my chuckling while writing and attempting to communicate.

Hope folks don't mind my self-deprecating humour.
( Whoops : almost wrote self-defecating humour... ) ( Heech-heech-heech !!! )

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Stop telling me what to do!

seriously,
that was very well put.
I think a lot of people would benefit from that if they can keep reminding themselves every day.

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Hiya IINA.
It is indeed a happy circumstance, to have been introduced to that word and sculpture.

Of course : totally knew it meant that, and was just hoping that... Ok : didn't know... LoL !!

Will perhaps use ( Heech-heech-heech !!! ) more than LoLs now.

Or maybe it doesn't really matter though, eh ?

Jim meets nothing : ( Not "meats"... ) ( Heech-heech-heech !!! )

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Please don't write 'heech-heech-heech'....

this is what I'll hear

posted on Aug, 12 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I looked it up www.verywellmind.com...

2. is what I'm talking about- only... I put it in words where I hold the person accountable for not taking into consideration the emotions of others, whereas in this article they relieve some of that responsibility by claiming that the person is literally not capable by being "oblivious." I'm sure there are some cases where a person is literally incapable- however they may learn how to mentally consider the emotional states of others.

But it doesn't matter if a person is literally incapable of reading others emotions, and it doesn't matter who's responsible for whose happiness... if somebody is being abusive, emotionally or otherwise, then that person is in the wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join