It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBD Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

My wife was doing for like a week stuck in bed with high fever and all the aches she could handle. I spent 3 days with a neck and headache and played video games smoked and drank even. Different bodies do different things...the best part is as long as you survive it (which 99% do) you get immunity way better than anything big pharma can offer you!

Edit: I also heard about the CBD thing way back then and since my wife works for a dispensary I started taking 100mg of CBD daily near the tail end of being sick...I think that really helped but in any case it sure didn't hurt.
edit on 10-8-2021 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 06:12 AM
link   
www.studyfinds.org...

CORONAVIRUS, HEALTH & MEDICAL, MARIJUANA
CBD for COVID-19: Marijuana ingredient may prevent virus from causing lung damage; MARCH 15, 2021 by Chris Melore

CHICAGO, Ill. — While millions of people receive the COVID-19 vaccination, millions more are still waiting for more doses to become available. Until then, a new study finds a popular ingredient in cannabis can block the virus from spreading through the lungs. Researchers in Chicago say cannabidiol (CBD) keeps SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing COVID-19, from replicating in the lungs and causing severe damage.

According to a pre-print study — meaning it has not been peer-reviewed yet — CBD and its metabolite 7-OH-CBD blocks out SARS-CoV-2 from replicating in the patient’s epithelial lung cells. Normally, the virus uses its spike protein to latch on to healthy cells and cut their way in. From there, SARS-CoV-2 can hijack the cell functions to make more of the virus.
A team from the University of Chicago discovered that CBD inhibits the gene expression in virus cells, including the RNA coding for the spike protein. Researchers say it’s an important find as coronavirus vaccines are still in short supply in various countries.

“To date, few therapies have been identified that block SARS-CoV-2 replication and viral production,” study author Marsha Rosner and the team write in their report in bioRxiv.
“This study highlights CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection.”
Another benefit of using CBD?

Cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive chemical in marijuana, is growing in popularity as a natural remedy for various conditions. Along with pain management and stress relief, previous studies point to CBD having antiviral properties and being able to treat antibiotic-resistant infections. The U.S. food and Drug Administration approved its use as a treatment for epilepsy.
In the new study, researchers treated A549 human lung carcinoma cells which express the ACE-2 gene with CBD. This is the gene receptor which the SARS-CoV-2 spike attaches to in patients.

Once treated, scientists exposed these cells to the virus. After 48 hours, the team discovered that CBD-treated A549 cells blocked the virus’s ability to multiply. Further study revealed that CBD helped to reverse nearly all of the gene expression changes SARS-CoV-2 causes in the host cells.
Researchers believe these results show CBD may be helpful in stopping the “cytokine storm” COVID patients suffer during severe infections. This hyper inflammation takes place when the patient’s own immune system goes into overdrive and attacks healthy cells.

“CBD has the potential not only to act as an antiviral agent at early stages of infection but also to protect the host against an overactive immune system at later stages,” the team explains.
CBD moving to human COVID trials?
Study authors also examined the chemical’s effects on 82 patients taking CBD prior to the pandemic. They compared this group to patients with no history of using cannabidiol.
The results reveal only 1.2 percent of CBD users tested positive for COVID-19. In comparison, 12.2 percent of non-users contracted the virus.

“The substantial reduction in SARS-CoV-2 infection risk of approximately an order of magnitude in patients who took FDA-approved CBD highlights the potential efficacy of this drug in combating SARS-CoV2 infection,” study authors write.
“We advocate carefully designed placebo-controlled clinical trials with known concentrations and highly-characterized formulations in order to define CBD’s role in preventing and treating early SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

a reply to: dug88

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Might explain why I got clobbered with Covid, and hubby never got it.

I should have been drinking more of my tea I guess.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Everyone's always saying trust the science, well here's some science for ya.

Not much to say here, like with many other things now, Canninidiol(CBD) a compound produced by the cannabis plant known for its anti-inflammatory and other health benifits has been found to inhibit the viral gene expression of SARS-Cov2 and potentially block the replication of SARS-cov-2 in epithelial cells.

Basically, toke up, because CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection, according to science.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The rapid spread of COVID-19 underscores the need for new treatments. Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a compound produced by the cannabis plant, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection. CBD and its metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, but not congeneric cannabinoids, potently block SARS-CoV-2 replication in lung epithelial cells. CBD acts after cellular infection, inhibiting viral gene expression and reversing many effects of SARS-CoV-2 on host gene transcription. CBD induces interferon expression and up-regulates its antiviral signaling pathway. A cohort of human patients previously taking CBD had significantly lower SARSCoV-2 infection incidence of up to an order of magnitude relative to matched pairs or the general population. This study highlights CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection.

Summary sentence:

Cannabidiol from the cannabis plant has potential to prevent and inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection

A bowl a day keeps the covid away.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Everyone's always saying trust the science, well here's some science for ya.

Not much to say here, like with many other things now, Canninidiol(CBD) a compound produced by the cannabis plant known for its anti-inflammatory and other health benifits has been found to inhibit the viral gene expression of SARS-Cov2 and potentially block the replication of SARS-cov-2 in epithelial cells.

Basically, toke up, because CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection, according to science.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The rapid spread of COVID-19 underscores the need for new treatments. Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a compound produced by the cannabis plant, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection. CBD and its metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, but not congeneric cannabinoids, potently block SARS-CoV-2 replication in lung epithelial cells. CBD acts after cellular infection, inhibiting viral gene expression and reversing many effects of SARS-CoV-2 on host gene transcription. CBD induces interferon expression and up-regulates its antiviral signaling pathway. A cohort of human patients previously taking CBD had significantly lower SARSCoV-2 infection incidence of up to an order of magnitude relative to matched pairs or the general population. This study highlights CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection.

Summary sentence:

Cannabidiol from the cannabis plant has potential to prevent and inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection

Toke up is fine,
people might want to find a straight up CBD product, there isn't a lot of CBD in most strains, I guess you need to figure dosage. Also, what is the effective delivery method, might be ingesting rather than smoking? Interesting!

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I just want to say this looks like gene therapy and that whole beer with CBD Hops sure screams GMO big time!

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Lol analyzed hemp oil. Okie doki.
Any licensed dispensary has readily available very high concentration cbd oils and pills and extracts going up to the mid teen in purity percent.

I haven’t been a user in year but your article isn’t being all the way honest with cbd.

It’s readily prescribed even to children.....
a reply to: Phage

To be fair to Phage, I'm pro mj, but, if you went and tested those products, you will find huge variances, I have seen some pretty shady results. The source of CBD is important. You just want to be sure what you are buying. I remember seeing 40 gal drums of it for sale, from China..no thanks, but you can be sure, some of that is in "some" of these products.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

To be fair to Phage, I'm pro mj, but, if you went and tested those products, you will find huge variances, I have seen some pretty shady results. The source of CBD is important. You just want to be sure what you are buying. I remember seeing 40 gal drums of it for sale, from China..no thanks, but you can be sure, some of that is in "some" of these products.

For some reason CBD is expensive as hell, and I found the cream does nothing for me... Maybe the pill does, but the expensive cream really turned me off to it all. I would be more like F it and have my son get me some good stuff.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: vonclod

For some reason CBD is expensive as hell, and I found the cream does nothing for me... Maybe the pill does, but the expensive cream really turned me off to it all. I would be more like F it and have my son get me some good stuff.

Ha, no doubt!

The source is important, I would love to spend more time but have to jet!

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

< cough >

At this rate, I must be fast-approaching not just full literal immunity universe-wide, but immortality itself.

But to be serious, it seems a lot of tokers and smokers are bulletproof when up against covid. We're starting to get an idea as to why for both lately.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join