It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming Emergency Alert Test - August 11, 2021

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
As others have said, the only reason to require a reboot is if something is being updated or installed.

That in and of itself doesn't mean anything other than for people who don't know how networks work will think it means something nefarious is gonna happen possibly.

Do a EIGRP to OSPF change and yup, you will need to reboot.
Did something change with BGP, yup you may need to reboot.
Recovering from an STP loop , yah probably goona reboot.

Rebooting doesn't mean something bad. Sure it can but it doesn't mean it does.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The internet just went blank at 12:32 am Tokyo time for about 20 seconds. Anyone overseas, did this happen to you also?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: LSU2018

I'm gonna call my provider Comcast and ask them to abscond me off to a FEMAle camp as well.

Comcast in Jersey?

Yea, they probably have better internet at the FEMA camp.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But like CWM said...which 2pm...EST, CST, PST??????

Seriously, my husband suggested we unplug the cable....or is there a better way???

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Gothmog

But like CWM said...which 2pm...EST, CST, PST??????

Seriously, my husband suggested we unplug the cable....or is there a better way???

Follow your husbands advice and you unplug your internet for a few days. Is your plan to just keep it disconnected or do you plan to plug it back in eventually? If you plan to plug it back in at some point what do you think happens?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
The internet just went blank at 12:32 am Tokyo time for about 20 seconds. Anyone overseas, did this happen to you also?

So the internet dropped for everyone in Tokyo time or just for you?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I get that MAY when Malwarebytes does certain updates.
Sometimes it needs a reboot, sometimes not.....

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I started looking, here is an announcement from FEMA:
FEMA
They say 2:20 - 2:50 pm Eastern Daylight Time

The national test will consist of two portions, testing WEA and EAS capabilities. Both tests will begin at 2:20 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Aug. 11.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

If they actually are installing something, it will still get installed.
Right?
Unplugging is futile if they ARE up to no good?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: musicismagic

So the internet dropped for everyone in Tokyo time or just for you?

Don't know, that's why I posted.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Rebooting is not bad. Like someone else said if you do a quick google search you will see this happens anytime there is a test of this nature. Some devices could reboot and others will need to be rebooted. It was only recently it moved to cell phones.

That said, in the current environment, I can see concern from anyone.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I get that MAY when Malwarebytes does certain updates.
Sometimes it needs a reboot, sometimes not.....

If it is something nefarious, they'll just install it when you plug back in.

No real get around this type of stuff anymore, unless you want to buy a hardware firewall (even then there are work arounds).

Setting up an IP block on the ISP might work, but might cause more problems, too.

Too technical for the average end-user.

Unfortunately.
edit on 8/9/2021 by MykeNukem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

FEMA

The national test will consist of two portions, testing WEA and EAS capabilities. Both tests will begin at 2:20 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Aug. 11.

If anyone is trying to improve their knowledge vs just automatically reaching for the tinfoil.

WEA = Wireless Emergency Alerts
EAS = Emergency Alert System

Taken directly from the official release....

"FEMA, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission, will conduct a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) this summer.

The Wireless Emergency Alert portion of the test will be directed only to consumer cell phones where the subscriber has opted-in to receive test messages. This will be the second nationwide WEA test, but the first nationwide WEA test on a consumer opt-in basis. The test message will display in either English or in Spanish, depending on the language settings of the wireless handset.

The Emergency Alert System portion of the test will be sent to radios and televisions. This will be the sixth nationwide EAS test."

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

a reply to: LSU2018

You do know there is nothing sudden about emergency testing right?
They happen multiple times a year.

can you list the times and dates every year? list some articles etc?

to my knowledge its a cold war era thing, and only recently since 2020 become a thing again

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hate to break it to ya bud, but cold war era only my ass. I grew up in FL (90's beach rat) and listened to the weekly EAS tests every #ing weekend (usually Saturdays during the cartoons, bastards) for 25 years straight into adulthood. Sometimes the damn thing would blare that EE-AAAAA, EE-AAAAAA, EE-AAAAA tone for 5 minutes, pretty sure that was regional system syncings back then. Probably still is, timing is everything to get it all out everywhere at the same time.

Point is, holy #, that tone for 5 minutes would make you want to rip your eardrums out and go voluntarily deaf.

Again, my guess as a layman with zero operational knowledge, is that generally speaking, EAS tests are probably done on state or region-specific tailored schedules, rather than tested as nationally synced the majority of the time.

And places like FL that see more "Acts of God" risks (weather risks) probably have them more frequently than other places. Here in MI, for example, I seldom hear the tests for the EAS compared to FL. By comparison, their EAS testing frequency is "deader than a door nail" next to Florida's (but hot damn if they ain't right on time first Friday of every month testing the tornado sirens)
edit on 8/9/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
It was only recently it moved to cell phones.

Correct.

The first WEA test took place in 2018 during President Trump's run of the country , "The first national test of a mandatory Presidential alert was held on October 3, 2018 at 2:18 PM EDT as part of a national periodic test (NPT) of the Emergency Alert System"

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Correct.

The first WEA test took place in 2018 during President Trump's run of the country , "The first national test of a mandatory Presidential alert was held on October 3, 2018 at 2:18 PM EDT as part of a national periodic test (NPT) of the Emergency Alert System"

I do remember this, come to think of it. I think there was a robust thread going around on here about it, with step-by-steps for us, so we could turn that mobile EAS thing off.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, but I don't think so?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Correct.

Since I always try and give facts , that info I gave above isn't 100% related to WEA but rather then Presidential Alert system implemented during President Trump's Term so let me fix that.

Taken directly from the WEA site: www.fcc.gov...

"The Wireless Emergency Alerts system is an essential part of America's emergency preparedness. Since its launch in 2012, the WEA system has been used more than 61,000 times to warn the public about dangerous weather, missing children, and other critical situations – all through alerts on compatible cell phones and other mobile devices.

WEA is a public safety system that allows customers who own compatible mobile devices to receive geographically targeted, text-like messages alerting them of imminent threats to safety in their area.

WEA enables government officials to target emergency alerts to specific geographic areas – lower Manhattan in New York, for example.

The Warning, Alert and Response Network (WARN) Act established WEA in 2008 and it became operational in 2012.

Wireless companies volunteer to participate in WEA, which is the result of a unique public/private partnership between the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the FCC, and the United States wireless industry in order to enhance public safety."
edit on 9-8-2021 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Correct.

I do remember this, come to think of it. I think there was a robust thread going around on here about it, with step-by-steps for us, so we could turn that mobile EAS thing off.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, but I don't think so?

Nope, you are right.
There were a lot of misconceptions around that whole event which contributed to the general feeling it was going to be something more than it was.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

FEMA

If anyone is trying to improve their knowledge vs just automatically reaching for the tinfoil.

WEA = Wireless Emergency Alerts
EAS = Emergency Alert System

Taken directly from the official release....

"FEMA, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission, will conduct a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) this summer.

The Wireless Emergency Alert portion of the test will be directed only to consumer cell phones where the subscriber has opted-in to receive test messages. This will be the second nationwide WEA test, but the first nationwide WEA test on a consumer opt-in basis. The test message will display in either English or in Spanish, depending on the language settings of the wireless handset.

The Emergency Alert System portion of the test will be sent to radios and televisions. This will be the sixth nationwide EAS test."

This is normal.

I think the "reboot" thing is just the ISP helpdesk trying to head off some calls.

edit on 8/9/2021 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
This is normal.

I think the "reboot" thing is just the ISP helpdesk trying to head off some calls.

Yup, that is the point I am trying to make. =)

Again not saying CT"s on a Conspiracy Website shouldn't question things but if there is a chance to actually give people information to make an informed decision then I think that is a good thing. Hell this site used to be about DENY IGNORANCE .

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join