It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Should Cancel the Olympics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The Olympics need to be cancelled. Think about it.

1. Global climate change. People flying to one country from all over the world to compete. What is the carbon footprint of all of that? Add to that the building of new sports venues, hotels, etc. We are killing mother earth just to play games.

2. Think about the impact on the rest of us. It's just not fair. We weren't born with super athletic abilities and now we have to just watch as people better than us perform amazing feats. If we are going to quit teaching math and proper language because it's racist, then we need to cancel sports because what's more unfair than God given abilities.

3. What about poor countries. They don't have the resources to train their athletes like countries such as the US and China. So they go home feeling bad about themselves. A lot of these countries are POC and then they get beat by Caucasians and Asians and then it just reinforces negative stereotypes.

4. The amount of money spent on all of this. We could use it to help people. Just think how many people could have been taken care of and not had to work if society could have used that money for the good of regular folks.

5. Some of these athletes will get rich from endorsements. It's not fair that they will be both super human and have more than a lot of us. Add to that the fact that many of them are also better looking than us and some are even smarter. I shudder at the amount of unfairness that comes to.

Let us cancel the Olympics in the name of fairness and for the children (the ones not born super human), and for the sake of Mother Earth.
edit on 8-8-2021 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2021 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Maybe we can have a the Feelings Games.

We could all have Gold medals.

We could have cutouts to have our faces on models bodies.

I thought I was going to read a serious thread.

Nope...

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Why We Should Cancel the Olympics

Remember when sports were about competition and seeing whose the best ?

Now they're pulpits to preach the gospel according to morons.

Cancel the Olympics.

Cancel Football,basketball, and every other damn thing.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Why stop there?
Cancel all sports! For any age.
Cancel grades in school. Not fair that you are better at math than I am.
Ridiculous idea

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

I think we should keep the Olympic, but we should change the rules to make it like The Hunger Games. Just three medalists and survivors, a Gold, a Silver and a Bronze.

Think about how cool it would be...javelin throwers trying to spear hammer tossers, shot putters trying to shotput runners, archers trying to spearfish for synchronized swimmers, pole vaulters pole vaulting over sewage ponds, high jumpers jumping over rivers with water polo players trying to nail them with spiked balls. Skateboarders robbing liquor stores guarded by wrestlers, Ninjas vs. gymnasts. It'd be awesome! Just a giant free for all!

May the odds be ever in your favor!

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It's boring, a waste of money and a total drain on the economy of the host city.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You make good points, but I think the Olympics should continue. Most of the problems you list are not insurmountable. For instance, a permanent Olympic site would be a start. Greece seems like a logical choice. The main thing we need to do is get politics out of the Olympics.

Through the years, the Olympics have given the world a chance to see some fine examples of humanity. We see athletes give their all to compete against athletes from other nations, and then shake hands and congratulate each other in the end in a show of mutual respect. It serves as a reminder to all of us that there is a difference between the people of our nations and our governments.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's boring, a waste of money and a total drain on the economy of the host city.

....and those "athletes"........bunch of amateurs.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Its not fair boo hoo. The athletes are better than me, wail. Cancel it coz its just not fair...?

Wow. These athletes train most of their life to compete like this. Did you? Of course not. Just dont watch it.

Its not fair they will earn more money than me, waaaa.

Actually i just realised. You're being sarcastic aren't you?

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

In fact, that is likely where we are going. edit - too much not right about sports:

1. The most glaring reason for canceling is the migration of athletes to other countries for college and then on to the pro-circuit. Kenyans, Ethiopians and others are moving all over the world, going to college and then running as US athletes. It's happening all over the world. It's kind of like the Dominicans and other Spanish speaking countries supplying boys to the baseball camps.

2. International athletes are training together in places like Mammoth, Portland, Kenya. It's all good but it's not like one coach against another. Some coaches have two or three runners from different countries participating in a race.

3. Sports are not much more than entertainment (the NBA said as much a couple of years ago in response to the fans complaints) that sells gear, billions of dollars of it...in countries where people who can't afford to be represented in the games are making said gear for pennies on the dollar.

4. Local communities would benefit much more if regional sports replaced the national sports.

5. Regarding US teams; people in the US are moving all over the place, as do the players of any team. There's no city allegiance, it's not possible. Besides, when one moves, one should do as the Romans - it's the harmonious thing to do...why create challenge?

6. oh, I forgot one of the most repulsive issues facing sports: Sex abuse. All of these are current and Nassar (Olympic gymnastics coach) being brought AGAIN!!!

www.bedfordgazette.com...

www.espn.com...

www.msn.com...

www.baltimoresun.com...

www.dailylocal.com...

www.ksat.com... /
edit on 8/8/2021 by BlissSeeker because: sex abuse

edit on 8/8/2021 by BlissSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/8/2021 by BlissSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

We should all have gold medals or none of us should.

Just think if we were competing in who could give the best hug or who could console people better.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This. # the Olympics. It was terrible when it was hosted here. So many #ing people in the streets. So much bull# everywhere. Couldn't even travel freely around the city. Then it took around 5 years to pay off the bill. Such a huge waste of money all around.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlissSeeker

Gosh, sounds a lot like free-agency in the NFL!

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Just think if we were competing in who could give the best hug or who could console people better.

Perhaps we could award gold medals to the most offended snowflakes?

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Cancel corporate sponsorship and lower pro athlete wages to the same standards we give to our teachers and fry cooks.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Loadstain

Three words: critical race theory

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
Cancel corporate sponsorship and lower pro athlete wages to the same standards we give to our teachers and fry cooks.

I think oldcarpy just awarded you one gold snowflake medal. Congrats!

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Perhaps we could award gold medals to the most offended snowflakes?

Ha! Yeah and we know who would win a gold medal for sure dont we?

link   
The Olympics are about as relevant as Saturday Night Live. (they're funnier, though)

link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I think oldcarpy just awarded you one gold snowflake medal. Congrats!

Look a bit closer to home there...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join