It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple of things ATS management might want to fix.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It is from lots of five star posts. The fix would be to one star bandit them ex post facto. And even that might not fix it because there is a certain period that accounts were made that honestly are a PITA for the database.

The easiest thing to calculate it consistently fails at...go to the members list and see who has the most post on ATS? Hint: not me by a long shot. That I am on page 2 is impressive enough for me. It says Zaph but we all know it is DTOM by like 25,000 posts...which more than I have.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I would have to assume that the star is an aggregate value which has no referential integrity back to the user who clicked the star during that period, otherwise i could write that sql ranking fix in a half dozen different rdbms myself in under 20 minutes.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Maybe. But there was a reason it wasn’t “fixed” when it was determined why it had a glitch. Could it be apathy? Maybe. But that the whole board slowed to an absolute crawl twice an hour for awhile over some insignificant check of new threads, PM’s (that were no longer alerted) and some other thing...I wouldn’t bet on an easy solution.

There are lots of handy tools we could use as staff, but we don’t. Like a global ignore function while cleaning up a bunch of spam posts.

But one of the worst things that happened was the original Japan Quake/Tsunami thread became chewed up like a cassette in the tape deck. Database corrupted it so bad that it is unrecoverable. I suspect it isn’t the only one, just that the others were lessor older threads that are not missed...or just Mandela Effect.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Also, when I try to FLAG a thread, it turns hollow for a second then says FAIL next to it….
What gives?

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Scubalicious

The site AI disagrees with your evaluation and is playing "capture the flag".

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Scubalicious

Also, when I try to FLAG a thread, it turns hollow for a second then says FAIL next to it…. What gives?

Are you clicking it more than once?

I've seen 'fail' only a couple times before, but I don't remember what caused it.

Messing around with it right now, the only time I see 'fail' is if I un-flag it and then try to re-flag it.

It should be hollow to begin with though. It doesn't fill in solid green until after you give it a flag.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Just wanted to comment on the star system.

I've noticed that if I give more than one star, when I refresh that star disappears.

Not sure if you can actually give multiple stars that way, but at least I can't.

They just disappear when I refresh, like it's only valid locally.

I've had no SSL issues, but I'm OCD about clearing out and updating my cache, cookies, etc. Maybe I just didn't notice too. I'll keep an eye on it now though. Lol.

I'd star this post if I could.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Might look into a fix for that "million stars" glitch affecting a few hundred Members 😎

Hey now...don't be messing with my stars.☆

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A quick way of solving the stars problem would be to removing them all.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

If you can't star a post twice, there has to be a mechanism that stores information that you did that before

top topics

<< 1   >>

join