It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Billion Year Old Racist Rock Removed From University of Wisconsin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So on Friday a massive 70 ton racist was finally once and for all removed from the University of Wisconsin campus.

Some photos of the dastardly culprit as it's removed.

Crew members shackling the hateful racist in preparation of its removal

The racist being taken away

www.nbc15.com...

- A large crane and grounds crew arrived at the University of Wisconsin early Friday morning to move a 70-ton rock that sat near the Observatory Drive scenic overlook.

The rock, formerly known as Chamberlin Rock, was being taken off-campus following an initiative last June by the Wisconsin Black Student Union and Wunk Sheek to remove it 

In a statement released Thursday, the university explained, “[r]emoving the rock as a monument in a prominent location prevents further harm to our community while preserving the rock’s educational and research value for current and future scholars.”

That rock must have done something really terrible. It's existence harms the community. I wonder what it did that was so bad. Bet it rolled over and killed a black kid while sparing a white one or something.

So what did the rock do???

It was referred to as a derogatory name in a Wisconsin State Journal story in the 1920s, at a time when the Ku Klux Klan was active on campus.

Oh...Ummm....actually...literally...nothing...

It was just called a racial slur, some time in a magazine in the 1920's....

#in' racist rock. I hope it burns in hell.

Chamberlin Rock, which is believed to be over two billion years old, was described by the university as a large pre-Cambrian-era glacial erratic. It was named for Thomas Chamberlin, a geologist who served as university president from 1887 to 1892.

In November, the university’s Campus Planning Committee recommended moving the rock to Chancellor Rebecca Blank, who later signed off on the proposal. It will now be deposited on university-owned land near Lake Kegonsa.

Or just gets a nice home next to a lake I suppose.

At least it won't be able to harm anyone else at the university though.

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88 the whole world has gone mad

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   
About time. I was really tired of that racist rock, throwing around those slurs all day, every day.

+34 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It is very entertaining to me that people are offended by the presence of a rock.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Not that I agree with it, but I can kind of see why people complain about things like Confederate statues, this though, I can't even imagine how sensitive and speshul you have to be to be 'Triggered'(I #in' hate that word) by someone using a bad word 100 years ago to describe a rock enough that you force the university to remove it from the place it's been since the glacier dropped it there.

How do you even cope with life at that point?
edit on 7/8/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
People are idiots, no all people but most people, idiots,

My two cents on the issue.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
The very language and words you used to write this OP are racist, so it's no surprise a rock is too.

At any other time in history, these people and those like them would be picked up by the men in their little white coats and taken somewhere they couldn't harm themselves or anyone else.

My apologies for using the racist word "white", but it was necessary for context.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I heard that rock voted for Trump.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Someone please correct if I'm wrong but the claim is a person called the rock a name and therefore the rock is offensive.

That thinking makes the object of the slur the racist which is contrary to logic. I must be wrong or they are we-todd-ed.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Absolute cop-out.

It's cowardly to want that rock removed.

The ones who hated it so much should have fought it man to man.

I would've paid to watch them punch and kick it and, hopefully, head-butt it repeatedly again and again and again......

That'll teach that rock to be all rocky and whatnot.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
So on Friday a massive 70 ton racist was finally once and for all removed from the University of Wisconsin campus.

Some photos of the dastardly culprit as it's removed.

Crew members shackling the hateful racist in preparation of its removal

The racist being taken away

www.nbc15.com...

- A large crane and grounds crew arrived at the University of Wisconsin early Friday morning to move a 70-ton rock that sat near the Observatory Drive scenic overlook.

The rock, formerly known as Chamberlin Rock, was being taken off-campus following an initiative last June by the Wisconsin Black Student Union and Wunk Sheek to remove it 

In a statement released Thursday, the university explained, “[r]emoving the rock as a monument in a prominent location prevents further harm to our community while preserving the rock’s educational and research value for current and future scholars.”

That rock must have done something really terrible. It's existence harms the community. I wonder what it did that was so bad. Bet it rolled over and killed a black kid while sparing a white one or something.

So what did the rock do???

It was referred to as a derogatory name in a Wisconsin State Journal story in the 1920s, at a time when the Ku Klux Klan was active on campus.

Oh...Ummm....actually...literally...nothing...

It was just called a racial slur, some time in a magazine in the 1920's....

#in' racist rock. I hope it burns in hell.

Chamberlin Rock, which is believed to be over two billion years old, was described by the university as a large pre-Cambrian-era glacial erratic. It was named for Thomas Chamberlin, a geologist who served as university president from 1887 to 1892.

In November, the university’s Campus Planning Committee recommended moving the rock to Chancellor Rebecca Blank, who later signed off on the proposal. It will now be deposited on university-owned land near Lake Kegonsa.

Or just gets a nice home next to a lake I suppose.

At least it won't be able to harm anyone else at the university though.

Ha Ha Stupid White Coats left a Black hole behind. 🌘

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
It is very entertaining to me that people are offended by the presence of a rock.

I'm more concerned than entertained here lately. This is literally mental illness being enabled and normalized.

link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I'm 90% sure I spotted it in the crowds on Jan 6. It was the big, giant grey thing with the maga hat on.

link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

in a very sad way....

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So, I found in another article what the rock was called. lol
The KKK was active on the campus way back in 1925 when the word was used once to 'nickname' the rock.
Why is Wisconsin State allowed to operate at all since it allowed the KKK to operate on its campus? Why are there no protests to shut that racist college down??

This is all so dumb. Grow up, grow a spine. Being offended is a choice. Chose to not be offended.

The boulder was referred to as a “n——-head” — a commonly used expression in the 1920s to describe any large dark rock — at least once in a 1925 Wisconsin State Journal story. University historians have not found any other time that the term was used but said the Ku Klux Klan was active on campus at that time. Source

edit on 2021 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

But,,,the rock is white??

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
How ironic...some of the best granite, which this rock is/was, comes from Wisconsin. Next to Marble from Italy and Europe, Wisconsin has some of the finest graite slabs around.

Ironic that most of the woke community, if they can afford it, choose lighter, white, colored granite over the darker, black colors. No racism in that decision, just a valid design decision (i.e. more reflected light). But here we are...removing a "racist" white piece of granite.

How laughable!!!

Unreal!!!

link   
The rock was way behind on it's reparations payments.

link   
Don't tell anyone, but a small persentedge of the very molecules and atoms that make up the air of this planet were probably breathed in by KKK members at one time. And some was used to form the very sounds of racistes words. The air is racist, stop breathing it!

That rock, not so much as it is inconceivable that it was inside any racist individule ever. One just called it a name, useing racist air to do so.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I can almost guarantee this 'rock' will be cut up into slabs and the VERY SAME people who protested and wanted it torn down will line up to buy it for counter tops and flooring!!

Again, how laughable! Just hilarious!

The hypocrisy is absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join