It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Bat Killed by Russian Cat after 1,200-mile journey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The incredible journey is only known about because the thumb sized Pipistrelle bat had at some point in its life been rescued and carried a "London Zoo" marking on its wing and that it was caught by the cat , it's a sad end to the bat's record breaking journey that reaffirms my dislike of cats.

It is the furthest recorded journey by a bat from Britain across Europe, beating all known British records.

The pipistrelle bat, which weighed 8g (0.3 oz), was discovered by Russian resident Svetlana Lapina in the small village of Molgino and the finding was reported to the Bat Conservation Trust in the UK.

Lisa Worledge, head of conservation services at the Bat Conservation Trust, said: "This is a remarkable journey and the longest one we know of any bat from Britain across Europe. What an Olympian.

"Her journey is an exciting scientific finding and another piece in the puzzle of bat migration. The movements of Nathusius' pipistrelles around the UK and between the UK and the continent remain largely mysterious."

Her wing had a marking after being ringed in 2016 in London by bat recorder Brian Briggs.

Mr Briggs said: "This is very exciting. It's great to be able to contribute to the international conservation work to protect these extraordinary animals and learn more about their fascinating lives."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Quite remarkable that a creature so small could make it across the sea to the mainland yet alone all the way to Russia.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's a hell of a marathon if it flew all the way. However, it could have hitched rides on ferries, trains, trucks, etc., to further its quest.

link   

originally posted by: gortex
The incredible journey is only known about because the thumb sized Pipistrelle bat had at some point in its life been rescued and carried a "London Zoo" marking on its wing and that it was caught by the cat , it's a sad end to the bat's record breaking journey that reaffirms my dislike of cats.

It is the furthest recorded journey by a bat from Britain across Europe, beating all known British records.

The pipistrelle bat, which weighed 8g (0.3 oz), was discovered by Russian resident Svetlana Lapina in the small village of Molgino and the finding was reported to the Bat Conservation Trust in the UK.

Lisa Worledge, head of conservation services at the Bat Conservation Trust, said: "This is a remarkable journey and the longest one we know of any bat from Britain across Europe. What an Olympian.

"Her journey is an exciting scientific finding and another piece in the puzzle of bat migration. The movements of Nathusius' pipistrelles around the UK and between the UK and the continent remain largely mysterious."

Her wing had a marking after being ringed in 2016 in London by bat recorder Brian Briggs.

Mr Briggs said: "This is very exciting. It's great to be able to contribute to the international conservation work to protect these extraordinary animals and learn more about their fascinating lives."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Quite remarkable that a creature so small could make it across the sea to the mainland yet alone all the way to Russia.

These Russians just cant help themselves can they.

Destroying the UK one bat at a time, more proof they are trying to take over the world.

link   

Sorry about that little bat and I still love cats!

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I wonder if it actually flew that distance, or if maybe it hitched a ride in a shipping container or something.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I don't blame the Russians I blame cats , they're evil regardless of the country they infest.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't blame the Russians I blame cats , they're evil regardless of the country they infest.

Well it was believed cats are halfway between this world and the afterlife, so you may be right.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I guess only the bat knows the answer to that and she aint telling , thanks to Felixski.

It probably makes sense she would have grabbed a lift some of the way but would like to think she flew at least some of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Since my avatar is a CAT,I am very happy to post on
your thread and spread my feline vibes.Like I posted
earlier,that is a shame for that bat to make that long
of a journey and get taken down by a cat at the end.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

And you are welcome mamabeth but your feline vibes have no effect on me , I have the Ball of Distraction !

You are mine.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Cats. Cleaning this infested world of virus-carrying bats since ancient times.
You've gotta love them. 🙂

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A bat flew into my bedroom the other night. I have a video of it flying around on my phone. No idea how to post here, so you can have a photo instead of when he had a little rest

BTW I love all animals

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Most people feel that way about bats lol I guess every animal especially human has reason to be vilified!

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Jerry M. and Mr. Gonzales have the same opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I didnt know bats travel such distances. Was the kung flu virus not made in a lab I'd ask if Chinese bats migrate to other countries. I wont 🙂

top topics

join