It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has there got to be just only one God?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I have been into the existence of God, as the God from reason vs the God from religion, and my understanding of God is that He is only one, not several, see this link, www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now at this very moment I notice that I am getting to be veering into the idea that God need not be just only one, numerically one, just as there is only one Pachomius, the author of the present thread.

So, dear ATS posters here who know me from way back in my long-lasting previous thread on "Wanted: Honest intelligent productive thinking to resolve the issue God exists or not," please join me in my present investigation of the concept of there has got to be more than just one God.

The reason why I am now into several Gods instead of just only one is: because the idea of several Gods is more workable in the objective reality that is outside and independent of our mind.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
No, as long as you're willing to dismiss the gospel of Jesus Christ, and go to hell, you can have all the gods you want. You can invent them, or maybe just settle on a cigar store Indian. You could have a liberal god, perhaps the homo/tranny god Anus (pronounced a-noose). Just don't pack a sweater for your eternity, and you're all set!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Pachomius

Has there got to be any god?

The reason why I am now into several Gods instead of just only one is: because the idea of several Gods is more workable in the objective reality that is outside and independent of our mind.

How is the idea of several gods any more workable than a single god in "objective reality"?

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing

Any idea if there’s a cigar store Indian, religion out there?

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Well not if multiverse theory or the holographic principle turn out to hold weight.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   

How can you say this when Jesus even talks indirectly about the other gods of this Earth. He even makes a point of saying that some people were worshipping the wrong god, and that the god they should be worshipping is the god of the spirit and not the god of the earthly realm. Then when Jesus in hanging out on the cross he talks to gods of different names. This act alone is a good indication of multiple gods.

The question we should be asking isn't is there multiple gods, but rather which is the god of gods that should be worshipped. Without know which god to worship all you are doing is just using words directed at a god rather then Thee God. Judas knew the name of Jesus' god of gods, but didn't say since he claimed he wasn't worthy. So we know that this god of gods has a name, but sadly it's been lost to time in favor of the very generic god title.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There cannot be more than one starting-point, if that is going to be part of your definition of what "God" means.
Cicero would have said "There has to be an 'unmoved mover', or else the whole thing breaks down." I forget the Latin way of putting that.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Joe Biden is a god... I mean how else did he pull that off in November, that took godlike abilities

He got to be President due to a miracle .. wait maybe hes not a god and the election got rigged.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I like to think of the existence of God as an equation. It is:

1≠0

God, according to Tempter, neither exists nor doesn't exist because existence, or lack thereof, would depend on the physical world, or spiritual (to some).

God, should it exist, would be bound to our dimensional planes and those beyond it.

Instead, God(proper), would exist nowhere between these planes of existence nor NOT.

I know there are those who will quote "I am that I am", but I interpret this a little differently. In this quote, God isn't saying I exist therefore I do, God is actually saying "That which will be, will be". I'm not sure God is even referring to itself here, rather existence itself. It's like a tease to humankind (in this case Moses) that all he can imagine I am, meaning God is beyond our comprehension.

I do, however, believe God is SOME-thing, or NO-thing. Therefore, 1≠0, or TRUE.

Maybe that's the best definition of God I can give. TRUTH.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Yep. Seems that way to me.

On the visible Terran scheme the requirements for life all work together in a system. Earth, Ocean, Atmosphere, Sun. Those are the obvious big ones.

When you step out a bit to the cosmic, those invisible forces become more evident; Time, Space, Gravity, Velocity.

This would seem to be objective Reality which exists regardless of any particular individual mindful observer.

Even if one were to attempt to distill reality down to a single (), that would more likely be a system rather than an individual.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Why does a multiverse preclude the possibility of a creator?

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

How can you say this when Jesus even talks indirectly about the other gods of this Earth. He even makes a point of saying that some people were worshipping the wrong god, and that the god they should be worshipping is the god of the spirit and not the god of the earthly realm. Then when Jesus in hanging out on the cross he talks to gods of different names. This act alone is a good indication of multiple gods.

The question we should be asking isn't is there multiple gods, but rather which is the god of gods that should be worshipped. Without know which god to worship all you are doing is just using words directed at a god rather then Thee God. Judas knew the name of Jesus' god of gods, but didn't say since he claimed he wasn't worthy. So we know that this god of gods has a name, but sadly it's been lost to time in favor of the very generic god title.

There are many names for God, we call him God but he is more than any God.

What you are referring too is Jesus saying Father or Abba which in Aramaic is also Abwoon and simply means father.

He will let you have whatever God you want but has warned you his is the ONLY way, no one has seen the father but the son not even the angels in Heaven.

But there are wicked spirits that masquerade as God's to lead people astray and wicked people that set up there own cult's for power and wealth and wolves in sheep's clothing.

When people have faith in lies it does not make those lies true.

Here is how a righteous one dealt with those kind of people when they led God's people astray.

Just as Josiah had done at Bethel, so also in the cities of Samaria he removed all the shrines of the high places set up by the kings of Israel who had provoked the LORD to anger. 20On the altars he slaughtered all the priests of the high places, and he burned human bones on them. Then he returned to Jerusalem.

And here is a command from the LIVING one the TRUE GOD the ONLY GOD and yes he is a trinity with the Son being called God in Genesis because he is the WORD which is GOD and the comforter comes from God so is part of God as well, so Father, Son and Holy Spirit but they are ONE not three, ONE GOD, no one see's the father but the Son and non can come to the father but by the Son, he whom see's the son see's the father (blessed is he that comes in the NAME of the Lord).

“I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3You shall have no other gods before Me. 4You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in the heavens above, on the earth below, or in the waters beneath.

So there is only ONE God and if you want to go and worship a stick or an idol or a bull headed animal figurine or some other monstrosity no one is going to stop you but you have been warned if you worship a lifeless thing like that or a wicket spirit that leads you astray it will lead only to your damnation.

But as the good book points out.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Jesus does NOT call them God's he explains what they are here, fallen angels.

Listen to another parable: There was a landowner who planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a winepress in it, and built a tower. Then he rented it out to some tenants and went away on a journey. 34 When the harvest time drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his share of the fruit. 35But the tenants seized his servants. They beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36Again, he sent other servants, more than the first group. But the tenants did the same to them. 37 Finally, he sent his son to them. ‘They will respect my son,’ he said. 38But when the tenants saw the son, they said to one another, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him and take his inheritance.’ 39So they seized him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. 40Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard returns, what will he do to those tenants?” 41“He will bring those wretches to a wretched end,” they replied, “and will rent out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him his share of the fruit at harvest time.”

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

It don't, it simply includes the possibility of more than one creator.

Or at least different aspects of such.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   
OP are one of those people who thinks Christianity claims there's only one god? in the old testament it blatantly says there's other gods but that 'god' is a jealous god and wants you to worship him alone.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

NO! that is a mistranslation of Elohim or they whom come from the Sky.

It does NOT say there are other God's in the manner you are claiming, constantly rather it say's there is non like unto OUR God, why because there is only ONE TRUE GOD, the king of the universe.

The POWERS AND PRINCIPALITYS, both physical and spiritual both in the earth and in heaven are NOT God's they will be brought before the TRUE GOD for Judgement.

By arguing your point you are NOT putting God first but putting OTHER God's before him, you shall have no other God's before me.

There is no pantheon, there are elders whom put there crown down before Christ whom are just beings and serve the Lord but they too are NOT God though they are perhaps as close to it as anyone below the Christ can be other than Michael the Angel.

Also there is a movement by closet Satanists to sow the idea of Pantheon into the minds of people.

They gain cult power and status through the so called Delphic mysterious for example and in fact the throne of Satan named such in the bible is in Germany, an alter to Zeus upon which a Christian martyr was once burned to death in a bronze bull.

edit on 6-8-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I think the Polytheistic faiths were a little more accepting when it come these things, and would often make comparisons based on their likeness, and differences. If I'm not mistaken, some of the ancient greeks compared Zeus with Set from the Egytian pantheon, all while most Pantheons seem to be based or have some inspirations from the night skies.

Thing is, gets to the point where it sounds like Pokemon, an the Mortals make all the decisions. Thing is, if there was another God or Pantheon, wouldn't it just defuse the orchestration of the cosmos.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus

edit on 6-8-2021 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god, inasmuch as the worshiper attributes to it might greater than his own and venerates it. A person can even let his belly be a god. (Ro 16:18; Php 3:18, 19) The Bible makes mention of many gods (Ps 86:8; 1Co 8:5, 6), but it shows that the gods of the nations are valueless gods.​—Ps 96:5; see GODS AND GODDESSES.

The deities that have been and still are worshiped by the nations are human creations, the products of imperfect, “empty-headed” men, who “turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed creatures and creeping things.” (Ro 1:21-23) It is, therefore, not surprising to note that these deities mirror the very characteristics and weaknesses of their imperfect worshipers. One Hebrew term used to refer to idols or false gods literally means “valueless thing” or “worthless thing.”​—Le 19:4; Isa 2:20.

The Bible refers to Satan the Devil as “the god of this system of things.” (2Co 4:4) That Satan is the “god” there referred to is clearly indicated later in verse 4 where it says that this god “has blinded the minds of the unbelievers.” At Revelation 12:9 he is said to be “misleading the entire inhabited earth.” Satan’s control over the present system of things, including its governments, was indicated when he offered Jesus “all the kingdoms of the world” in exchange for “an act of worship.”​—Mt 4:8, 9.

The worshipful adoration that men direct toward their idol-gods actually goes “to demons, and not to God.” (1Co 10:20; Ps 106:36, 37) Jehovah God requires exclusive devotion. (Isa 42:8) The one who worships an idol-god denies the true God and thus serves the interests of Jehovah’s chief Adversary, Satan, and his demons.

Gods of Nations Contrasted With Jehovah. Today many of the gods mentioned in the Bible are little more than a name. Although their worshipers at times even sacrificed their own children to them, the false gods were unable to rescue those who looked to them for aid in time of need. (2Ki 17:31) Hence, in the face of his military successes, the king of Assyria, through his spokesman Rabshakeh, boasted: “Have the gods of the nations at all delivered each one his own land out of the hand of the king of Assyria? Where are the gods of Hamath and Arpad? Where are the gods of Sepharvaim, Hena and Ivvah? Have they delivered Samaria out of my hand? Who are there among all the gods of the lands that have delivered their land out of my hand, so that Jehovah should deliver Jerusalem out of my hand?” (2Ki 18:28, 31-35) But Jehovah did not fail his people as had those false gods. In one night the angel of Jehovah killed 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians. Humiliated, the proud Assyrian monarch Sennacherib returned to Nineveh, later to be murdered by two of his sons in the temple of his god Nisroch. (2Ki 19:17-19, 35-37) Truly, “all the gods of the peoples are valueless gods; but as for Jehovah, he has made the very heavens.”​—Ps 96:5.

Not only do the false gods have the characteristics of their makers, but people also become much like the gods whom they worship. To illustrate: King Manasseh of Judah was devoted to false gods, even to the point of making his son pass through the fire. But Manasseh’s zealous pursuit of false worship did not make him a better king. Rather, he proved to be like the bloodthirsty deities he worshiped, shedding innocent blood in very great quantity. (2Ki 21:1-6, 16) In sharp contrast with this, worshipers of the true God endeavor to be imitators of their Perfect Maker, displaying the fruitage of his spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, and self-control.​—Eph 5:1; Ga 5:22, 23.

The true God is not a nameless God. His name is Jehovah. (De 6:4; Ps 83:18) He is God by reason of his creatorship. (Ge 1:1; Re 4:11) The true God is real (Joh 7:28), a person (Ac 3:19; Heb 9:24), and not lifeless natural law operating without a living lawgiver, not blind force working through a series of accidents to develop one thing or another. The 1956 edition of The Encyclopedia Americana (Vol. XII, p. 743) commented under the heading “God”: “In the Christian, Mohammedan, and Jewish sense, the Supreme Being, the First Cause, and in a general sense, as considered nowadays throughout the civilized world, a spiritual being, self-existent, eternal and absolutely free and all-powerful, distinct from the matter which he has created in many forms, and which he conserves and controls. There does not seem to have been a period of history where mankind was without belief in a supernatural author and governor of the universe.”

The fact of the existence of God is proved by the order, power, and complexity of creation, macroscopic and microscopic, and through his dealings with his people throughout history. In looking into what might be called the Book of Divine Creation, scientists learn much. One can learn from a book only if intelligent thought and preparation have been put into the book by its author.

In contrast to the lifeless gods of the nations, Jehovah is “the living God.” (Jer 10:10; 2Co 6:16) Everywhere there is testimony to his activity and his greatness. “The heavens are declaring the glory of God; and of the work of his hands the expanse is telling.” (Ps 19:1) Men have no reason or excuse for denying God, because “what may be known about God is manifest among them, for God made it manifest to them. For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.”​—Ro 1:18-20.

In context (playlist):

Molecular Machinery of Life (which is among “the things made”)

Some key videos in that playlist:

Some videos that are not in the playlist but may help in contemplating these subjects and appropiately appreciating the evidence available:

edit on 7-8-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
I do, however, believe God is SOME-thing, or NO-thing. Therefore, 1≠0, or TRUE.

Or you could have just summed up your views as:

'I can't make up my mind.'

Would have made your comment a lot less complicated to follow.

Let me know when you've decided whether God is something or nothing, since he can't be both (much like the concept of existing and not existing, you'll have to pick rather than using double negatives to avoid realizing that you sort of picked anyway, but 2 contradictory positions; see my next reply). Logically speaking, when one intents to use language in a logical and coherent fashion so that one can be understood and one doesn't end up with gobbledygook or gibberish. Or contradictions or a contradicting use of language and words.

Not all that men may call “knowledge” is to be sought, because philosophies and views exist that are “falsely called ‘knowledge.’” (1Ti 6:20, which says: )

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you, turning away from the empty speeches that violate what is holy and from the contradictions of the falsely called “knowledge.”

Col 2:8:

Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;

For example regarding the improper and contradictory use of the words "nothing" and "something":

edit on 7-8-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
"There has to be an 'unmoved mover', or else the whole thing breaks down." I forget the Latin way of putting that.

Be still......and know I am God.

Find that which is still........the unmoving.

It's always right here......embracing the moving.

Like the tv screen never moves.......but the image within it appears to move.

edit on 7-8-2021 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
OP are one of those people who thinks Christianity claims there's only one god? in the old testament it blatantly says there's other gods but that 'god' is a jealous god and wants you to worship him alone.

Most humans worship the image they have of themselves......as a separate thing from God.
Their minds are full of themselves and time......so the body is full of fear.

Time is a concept......and all things are concepts.

If you stop believing (worshipping) concepts and see and hear (non conceptual) then you might find what is true.

Peace is right here........the glory and the light is always here.
But if you stray outside (like the metaphor of the garden of eden)......in imagination, in mental stories....there will be suffering from delusion.......the thoughts don't talk about reality.
edit on 7-8-2021 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join