It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Photos That Show Forgotten Moments Of History

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is my first real thread on ATS, I was a little hesitant to even make a thread even though I'm a long time member. However with some encouragement from someone very dear to me I decided to share this with you all.

The title of the thread is the same as the title of the article.

Link here

I hope you all find some of these as interesting as I did, a few that stuck out to me were the baby cages, the pilot who got sucked out the window and survived, and the children being mailed by the post office in the early 1900's.

The article is a bit long but it has a picture for each moment and little snippet about the photo. I definitely learned some things I never knew before and it was cool to have an image to go with it. Anyways hope you all enjoy and feel free to share any moments or photos that stuck out to you!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Katatonik

Awesome, thanks for posting. Fun fact: The producers of 'The Simpsons' (I'm a big fan) love this nostalgic stuff and have featured it numerous times on the show. They do great vintage newsreel homages.
I noticed several items in your photo link that The Simpsons have used, like the "pool mobile" and the aqua-car.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

S&F - I love these nostalgic throwbacks from the good old days - they were terrible in some ways and awesome in others. Pretty sure there a pic amongst that lot that would trigger everyone on ATS - great record of what used to be. Personally old mate with the petrol powered roller skates is akin to a suicide bomber (albeit an involuntary one haha) and he likely didn't think that through too well, although there would have been a lot less vehicular and pedestrian traffic back then for him to have been hit and explode!!!

BUT - this pic triggered me the most - WOW, unbelievable......

At 23,000 feet in the air, an airplane windscreen panel broke causing the cockpit to decompress and its captain to be sucked halfway out of the aircraft, 1990.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I like the pantyhose painting one, that's my next job. Also ticketing chicks in two piece bathing attire.

edit on 6-8-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Lol, in the 30's the kids were eating live goldfish for a fad...

Only took around 80-85 years to progress to tide pods..

Love old images like this, cheers!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I know! That pic just blew me away! I couldn't even imagine being in that situation and the fact that they had to hold onto him for 20 minutes! Truly a very lucky man and he even continued to fly after, incredible.

The gas powered roller skates made me laugh, my sister even told me "That just sounds like a good way to get your feet blown off"

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I never knew that about the Simpsons, although to be fair I've only seen a few episodes of the show in my lifetime, I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid growing up because it "encouraged bad behavior" haha. Thanks for the tidbit though, I appreciate the response!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Why am I not surprised?

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Katatonik
Why am I not surprised?

You look like you're in violation

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Love threads like this here's another good source

allthatsinteresting.com...

A few laps over the OP

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I enjoyed that very much, thank you! There's some amazing human ingenuity displayed, and also some quirky weirdness, haha.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's AM's grandfather at work....

taking ladies to the hoosegow for their indecent swimsuits at the time
edit on 6-8-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Thank you! The goldfish rage I couldn't even imagine, but then again like you said tide pods and whatever crazy thing the kids do now a days, I wonder if in another 80 years what people will say about the images of kids eating tide pods. Will they be in awe or horrified? Or just chalk it up to kids just doing dumb things.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That was VERY COOL! Thanks for posting!

I loved the loading of 5mb of storage onto the plane! Just think, now we've got 50gb of storage on a memory stick!

I remember getting our first color TV, and it really was a big deal. Parents had a TV party and all the neighbors came over, had "cocktails" and ogled TV in color.

I rode that Snow King mountain chairlift many, many, times (without the bar). One summer my parents and some of their friends rode it to the top. The wife of my Dad's friend freaked out on the way up and refused to ride it down. I volunteered to walk down with her. Life lesson...walking down a mountain is every bit as hard as walking up one!

Another fun fact about the Snow King lift. The chair seats used to be made of plywood, and after a while the plywood would crack and sag from the weather. You always hoped to get one that was sagging because it was easier on your butt than a flat piece of plywood.

Lots of cool stuff on that link, and lots of good memories too!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"Baby Cage". Besides being no-words-for-it-dangerous, does getting fresh air really count with a smokestack and smog in the background?

Also, "Wives Wanted". Now what kind of woman wouldn't want to move into a one-room cabin with four creepy guys??

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

S&F! Very cool. The baby cage does not look safe, lol, incredible.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Also the ankles one, LOL.

Pls judge my ankles sir. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise
In those days, there were also competitions judging the "knobbly knees" of the men.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

OMG I would die on that ski lift without a bar, I had such bad anxiety looking at the photo haha! Very cool story thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That gave me a good chuckle ha!

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gb540

The one guy is holding a cat, I bet he was the first to get a wife!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join