It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly Discovered World Is The Closest Directly Imaged Exoplanet Ever , COCONUTS !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
COCONUTS 2b that is , just 35 light years away a Star called COCONUTS 2 hosts a gas giant Planet called COCONUTS 2b , luckily for us the Planet orbits its parent Star at an impressive 6,471 times the distance between Earth and the Sun away from it's parent allowing us to get a picture and making it the closest Exoplanet we've imaged so far, the great distance also means a year on / in COCONUTS 2b takes 1.1 million years !

COCONUTS 2b is the red dot top left.

Not only is COCONUTS-2b (named for the COol Companions ON Ultrawide orbiTS survey) the closest directly imaged exoplanet to Earth to date – at a distance of just 35 light-years – it's a rarity among exoplanet discoveries: a relatively cool, massive gas giant, orbiting its star at a great distance.

"With a massive planet on a super-wide-separation orbit, and with a very cool central star, COCONUTS-2 represents a very different planetary system than our own Solar System," said astronomer Zhoujian Zhang of the University of Hawaiʻi Institute for Astronomy.

What made it visible is that, although it's cool for a gas giant exoplanet, it's still pretty warm, with a temperature of around 434 Kelvin (161 degrees Celsius, or 322 degrees Fahrenheit), in spite of its distance from the warmth of the star.

COCONUTS-2b is still quite young, up to only around 800 million years; its warm temperature is residual heat from the exoplanet's formation, trapped inside the massive exoplanet, six times the mass of Jupiter. This heat means that the exoplanet faintly glows in infrared wavelengths – enough to be discernible in direct images.

Its huge orbital distance will have other benefits for future research, too. It may be able to help us better understand how gas giants form, a process that we still don't understand very well – and taking a closer look at it will help us better understand gas giant diversity.
www.sciencealert.com...

edit on 3-8-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Coconuts?

Where did they get "coconuts" from?

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

(named for the COol Companions ON Ultrawide orbiTS survey)

Scientists.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: LSU2018

Scientists.

Of all the names they've made for planets out there, and they choose coconuts. Lol... SMH

Awesome find though.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Does not sound like a life friendly place.. I thought exoplanets was earth like planets

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

There's a "backronym" if ever I've heard one.

The question still stands: Why "Coconuts"?

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Exoplanet just means a planet not part of this Solar System , this particular Exoplanet is nearly not even part of it's own Solar System.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

COol Companions ON Ultrawide orbiTS survey

Coconuts is the best they could come up with here? I'd have just gone with COol Companions On ULTtrawide OrbITS myself on this one.

Edit: And yes, I gave that thought. I picked the more juvenile joke because funny.
edit on 8/3/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Coconuts is the best they could come up with here? I'd have just gone with COol Companions On ULTtrawide OrbITS myself on this one.

Edit: And yes, I gave that thought. I picked the more juvenile joke because funny.

COOLTITS might be worth ending a probe to.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I would of named it:

COOL COMpanions ON ulTrawide orbITS

but thats just a bit pervy and dirty.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I was going to do that one.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I was going to do that one.

COOLTITS-2A might not...but COOLTITS-2D may support Silicon-based life.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I love this stuff even though my brain can't comprehend it. Like, I know they have a process for this #, but how the hell they can tell those two belong to each other still boggles my brain.

I hope that when I die, my soul, can take this journey thru the cosmos. Like an instant travel just to see what the hell is out there.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Coconuts?

Where did they get "coconuts" from?

From the cocoscrotum.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Are you suggesting that COCONUTS migrate??!!

Hey ATS! He’s suggesting that COCONUTS migrate!!

(Siriusly, a cool find and a whet of the whistle for JWST will do!!!)

new topics

top topics

join