It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Botts' Dots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   
You Are Probably Wondering What A Bott's Dot Is

So why the random ones in my neighborhood? They aren't technically dots, they are square, and they literally signify nothing. They are just randomly placed around the neighborhood with no rhyme or reason. No lane delineations or some such.

Just....there. Driving me nuts. Why are you there? Who put you there? Why did they pick a most innocuous place for them? Who's boss said, "Um, yeah, just put it , um, THERE!" and pointed at a road.

Makes me think of shoes on power lines. There's no logic behind it, it's just random. There so has to be a reason but i cannot figure it out. People just don't go planting things in roads for the fun of it.

Or, do they?
edit on 8/2/2021 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I've never seen random dots. Where are they where you are in which they serve no purpose?

We have rumble bars on the edges of lanes around here. Sometime dots or reflectors. I've never seen them out of place.

posted on Aug, 2 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
You Are Probably Wondering What A Bott's Dot Is

So why the random ones in my neighborhood? They aren't technically dots, they are square, and they literally signify nothing. They are just randomly placed around the neighborhood with no rhyme or reason. No lane delineations or some such.

Just....there. Driving me nuts. Why are you there? Who put you there? Why did they pick a most innocuous place for them? Who's boss said, "Um, yeah, just put it , um, THERE!" and pointed at a road.

Makes me think of shoes on power lines. There's no logic behind it, it's just random. There so has to be a reason but i cannot figure it out. People just don't go planting things in roads for the fun of it.

Or, do they?

In North America:

“ White markers — for lane markings or to mark the right pavement edge.
Yellow or orange markers — These separate traffic moving in opposite directions, or mark the left pavement edge on one-way roadways.
Blue markers — Usually placed near the center of the roadway, offset to one side to mark the location of fire hydrants on the shoulder or at the curb.
Green markers — Usually used to indicate that emergency vehicles can open gates to enter a gated community.”

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2021 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I bet they line up with fire hydrants.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Ok, I'll have to check that out, that's one reason I never thought of. Blue seems to be what the color is.

Right-o, seems to be a logical thought process. Green and white don't work with the layout of the discs.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Dapaga

I do believe you are spot on. Looked at the one around the corner and yeah, there's a hydrant right there. It's one of those idiotic things I think about but couldn't get the why of it.

Like shoes on power cables. I still ain't figured that one out yet. I see them in areas I know damned well ain't a drug dealer there. Now that this one is figured out I'd like to concentrate on shoes on a wire, can we just? I've read the Wiki page on it, even started a thread here long ago. I don't get it. Like I'm going to ties two perfectly good shoes together and throw them over a wire.

That just sounds like one of those ideas that sound great when you are hammered but the next day you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   

It happened in my neighborhood when I was in high school. They just seemed to appear out of nowhere. Before we knew what they were, we dug one up... just a blue reflector.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Dapaga

Here's another idiotic question. They just redid the asphalt on the roads around here so did they have to take up the dot before they did it or just work around it? They also tell you which side of the road the hydrants are on I've noticed.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Sorry, just saw this reply. The dots were simply glued in place. It would be no big deal to pop them up and re-glue them back down.

new topics

top topics

join