It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gangsters and Politics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Corrado's is crap now, very little Italian products compared to 10 years ago.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Spumoni Gradens.

If you want to see the real housewives of Staten Island that's the place to go. It's every DYKWIA* in town there but their 'baked pasta' is pretty damn good.

*Do You Know Who I Am

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

*Do You Know Who I Am

Not really, I think we're friends on FB.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

One of the things that kept the mob operating with impunity was that they were very charitable with the people around them. If you are a thug living in a city where you provide things for that city, they overlook your thuggishness.

Robin Hood is a good example to discuss in this context.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

To be fair, not all laws are just, and therefore, not all criminals are immoral or amoral.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

...do people consciously elect criminals because there's some identity 'coolness' factor to it?

Personally, I can't remember ever having thought about a politician, and thought to myself, "Man. This guy is cool! Such a badass!" The worst one's are those who think themselves that they are cool.

Any who are maybe kindof a little bit cool, always seem to be down low on the Political ladder. The higher up they climb, the less cool they are, which also often seems to coincide with an escalation in any criminal activity, and also more people to protect them.

I think many voters just don't really wanna know about any darker side. They don't want to believe the 'rumors'. Most are happier with believing that things really are as they appear & the friendly smiling face they see presented in public is the true face of the actual person behind the Political mask. (often even when he's not the one they voted for. They still don't wanna think he could possibly be a crook)

Really it all boils down to greed. The higher up they climb, the harder it becomes to resist the temptation, with many of the same people willing to possibly protect them are also helping to encourage them to giving in to those temptations. The Politics is what turns them into criminals.

but I may not know what I'm talking about. I may be confusing reality with TV... Is there still a difference between the two?

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Spumoni Gradens.

If you want to see the real housewives of Staten Island that's the place to go. It's every DYKWIA* in town there but their 'baked pasta' is pretty damn good.

*Do You Know Who I Am

Anthony?

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

One of the things that kept the mob operating with impunity was that they were very charitable with the people around them. If you are a thug living in a city where you provide things for that city, they overlook your thuggishness.

Agreed.

And even rumored charity will do...the ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd comes to mind.

They also play off their ability to get things done (never mind that it's done with underhandedness and criminal methods.) People will vote for those that appear to be able to "get the job done."

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Giving people what they want.

The greatest thing that ever happened to organized crime was Prohibition. People still got their booze and some great anti-heroes to root for against the government trying to keep them from that booze.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Giving people what they want.

One thing that they want is security. People were safe from crime around Mulberry Street. Thugs that accosted people in Little Italy had a habit of having accidents or just disappearing. There is also the desire for preserving a culture; trying to tear down the statue of Columbus in a cancel culture attempt would be a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

What was it....maybe a hundred years, hundred and thirty since the days of Billy the Kid and the romantic notions of the western outlaw?

It may not even be a human nature thing, and related more to American culture. I don't know. But even today, you can find someone within a stones throw in Texas that will tell you they are Jesse James 3rd cousin or something, stating it as if it were a quality to be proud of.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The Sopranos did an entire undercurrent of this theme. The shrink who secretly had the hots for Tony. The redhead movie producer that wanted to hook up with Chris. The crazy lady that hung herself after Tony shunned her for being crazy.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
People were safe from crime around Mulberry Street.

As long as the businesses and landlords paid protection, if they didn't they were the victims of crime.

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I think it was Freeway Rick who was a huge dealer in the day that was highly looked up to in his community for all his contributions... I know, apples n crack dealers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join