It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Wants Feds to Buy 75% American up from 55%

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I read something earlier today that this was actually about being able to call something "American Made".

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Blue Shift

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that I wear daily, and have since Christmas 2019. They look new. Because I wear only Made in the USA New Balance shoes, and pay the $150 a pair to have them last and look good for years.

There is a larger lesson here for folks who care to understand.

I don't think it takes a genius to understand that if pay more for something it will generally last longer (but not 100 percent of the time). But what about when you just need something quick and cheap that can do the job? I might suggest that the federal agencies required to conform to this rule first decide if they really need something that is going to last a long time. We already have acres and acres of land being taken up with such things as jet graveyards where well-made, durable and long-lasting jets are sitting in a desert gathering dust for decades.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

I'm all for lower emissions, as long as that means we get more of the awesome hot hatches that the UK seems to get. We've gotten screwed out of a ton of really fun cars, all because everyone needs an extended cab pickup that you can't really do anything with. Makes no sense to me at all.

Big truck, small weenie?

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery
That will not set well with Walmart.

I remember when Wal*Mart used to be all about "Buy American," but practicality and profits have now made it easy to find Chinese products in their stores. Even the Trump / MAGA clothing it sells is mostly made in China! Now that is playing both sides of the field.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I smell some special no bid contracts being created 😃

Now you're just talking politics as usual.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Joe Biden is apparently going to raise the percentage of American-made products required to be purchased by federal agencies from 55% to 75%. I can see the "pro" as it being ostensibly helpful to American businesses. As for the "con" side, it's definitely going to cost taxpayers more. We get cheap stuff from Amazon because so much of it is Chinese. Also, rather than the increased percentage helping newer businesses, I can imagine most of the new money going to old cronies already biting down hard on the government teat, making the rich yet again richer.

But I guess at least they're "American." Although when it comes to business, everything is global anyway and just because something might be built and sold in America doesn't mean the company isn't owned by the Chinese or Saudis or whoever.

So I can only assume it's political and not necessarily practical. Your opinion may vary.

Wonder how many will be "no bid" contracts to family and friends.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Probably about the same number as those favored by all Presidents / the government in the past. Substantial campaign finance money -- above and below the table -- is rarely given by big corporations or rich individuals without wanting something in return.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Probably about the same number as those favored by all Presidents / the government in the past. Substantial campaign finance money -- above and below the table -- is rarely given by big corporations or rich individuals without wanting something in return.

Would guess many who get contracts also have some new Hunter Biden art....

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Would guess many who get contracts also have some new Hunter Biden art....

Just like those who benefited during the Trump administration. It's non-partisan graft.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join