It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For us US Veterans in the Vietnam War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I know many of us here are of this age group. Vietnam War war was " if ' in our minds still all these years. Why couldn't we win. Yes, it is officially said we " peace with honor " but what the fk did that mean?

I see the same sh%t happening now that we MUST take the chinese vaccine, why?...

We are being programed to loose our freedom of movement and enjoyment of life. No, BS people.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Why couldn't we win.

What the hell would "winning" even look like?
Something like handing Viet Nam back to France as a French colony?

"Here you go France. You're welcome. Now about those favorable trade deals ..."

edit on 28-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Why couldn't we win.

your history is good

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The military did win.

The politicians were the ones that lost.

The one thing that should have been done earlier was mining the harbors of north Vietnam.

If the US had mined the north Vietnam's harbors in 1968 instead of 1972 the north Vietnamese would not been able to rearm with weapons and ammo from Russia.

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men. USS Enhance MSO 437 Operation End Sweep

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Is this a war story thread?
I worked with a guy who was in on this.
Years later I drank with a guy who was one of the Marines on the ground.

A C-130 delivering supplies with LAPES

Battle of Khe Sanh: Logistics_and_supporting_fire

The greatest impediments to the delivery of supplies to the base were the closure of Route 9 and the winter monsoon weather. For most of the battle, low-lying clouds and fog enclosed the area from early morning until around noon, and poor visibility severely hampered aerial resupply.[56]

Making matters worse for the defenders, any aircraft that braved the weather and attempted to land was subject to PAVN antiaircraft fire on its way in for a landing. Once the aircraft touched down, it became the target of any number of PAVN artillery or mortar crews. The aircrew then had to contend with antiaircraft fire on the way out. As a result, 65% of all supplies were delivered by paradrops delivered by C-130 aircraft, mostly by the USAF, whose crews had significantly more experience in airdrop tactics than Marine air crews.[105] The most dramatic supply delivery system used at Khe Sanh was the Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System, in which palletized supplies were pulled out of the cargo bay of a low-flying transport aircraft by means of an attached parachute. The pallet slid to a halt on the airstrip while the aircraft never had to actually land.[55] The USAF delivered 14,356 tons of supplies to Khe Sanh by air (8,120 tons by paradrop).

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Besides the loss of life with the military one of the saddest things for me are all the South Vietnamese who believed in American might and the promise America would take care of them. On the Monday Nam fell they were lined up waiting for America to save them. Then those who thought they were lucky escaped by boat when America did not pick them up or provide them a way out. 1000s if not 10s of thousands perished on the open sea either by pirates, the elements, or North Vietnamese gun boats. Some of the S.E. Asian countries set up refugee camps to take in the Vietnamese waiting for uncle Sam to come and get them. Those camps were...not nice... and for many they stayed and died in those camps.

I had planned on retiring from the military and had achieved positions where pretty much no one messed with me in my branch of service. Going into Nam on the Friday before it fell and waiting to pick up the Ambassadors wife, bird cage, and kids after speaking and looking at some of the locals I had known for years.... I hung up my guns and got out of the service in 77 or as soon as I could. I will never put myself in that type position again where a government promises stuff and then turns their back when people are drowning. Best decision I ever made was to become a civilian but I am lucky and have had a good life with few regrets.. Others can not say the same..

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Why couldn't we win.

"Here you go France. You're welcome. Now about those favorable trade deals ..."

Wasn't that the point of the US entering ?
The French were failing.
The UN sent the British in to help, and they failed .
Then the UN sent in the US to "train" the South Vietnamese to defend themselves .
Round 3 would begin .

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

If the US had mined the north Vietnam's harbors in 1968 instead of 1972 the north Vietnamese would not been able to rearm with weapons and ammo from Russia.

This.
Why do folks always think it was China ?
Russia already had a buffer against China in N.Korea .
Then they wanted another in Vietnam .
West , East , and South .
"Check" waiting on "Mate"

You know history as well .

Back on topic :
I had older friends that VOLUNTEERED to go to Vietnam . (I was just 2 years too young . But I tried anyway)
Some would return , some wouldn't .
They would all be disgusted with the US today .

edit on 7/28/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The UN sent the British in to help and they failed.

Not quite.

Britain arrived in Vietnam in September 1945 to accept the surrender of Japaneese forces at the end of WW II. Nothing to do with The UN who actually came into operation a month later.

The French wanted to take back control of Vietnam and asked Britain to stay on and help. It was a complete mess so Britain left The French to it, and pulled out in March 1946. If France wanted their colony back, it was up to them to sort it.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

They were pushed back. ALL the way back to the basecamp of the tunnels. There was nowhere else to go. TET offensive was their last futile effort. It failed horribly.

Many blame the voice of America Walter Cronkite. He was the news. Once he started interjecting his own opinions that was a wrap. People wanted out of a war they had just won and that was that.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: Gothmog

The UN sent the British in to help and they failed.

Not quite.

Britain arrived in Vietnam in September 1945 to accept the surrender of Japaneese forces at the end of WW II. Nothing to do with The UN who actually came into operation a month later.

The French wanted to take back control of Vietnam and asked Britain to stay on and help. It was a complete mess so Britain left The French to it, and pulled out in March 1946. If France wanted their colony back, it was up to them to sort it.

Research further ,

But I may have the British and French involvement timelines backwards .
I will give it that much ,
edit on 7/28/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I lost one grandfather in WWII, lost an uncle in korea and my father fought in Korea, then I lost another uncle in Vietnam, one of my brothers served in the military, my husband retired as a Marine he did all 3 tours in the middle east, my nephew is now serving, yes I come from a line of service men, they were praise as heroes and for what?

Now we have a fascist government taking our freedoms away.

Is this what my family fought for it? I wonder.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I lost one grandfather in WWII, lost an uncle in korea and my father fought in Korea, then I lost another uncle in Vietnam, one of my brothers served in the military, my husband retired as a Marine he did all 3 tours in the middle east, my nephew is now serving, yes I come from a line of service men, they were praise as heroes and for what?

Now we have a fascist government taking our freedoms away.

Is this what my family fought for it? I wonder.

Thank you for the courage, service, and sacrifice made by your family.

Above & beyond.

Their sacrifice helped free the U.S. and much of the world's population from tyrannical leaders.

And no, current democrats are exhibiting same things your family fought AGAINST.

Their sacrifice wasn't in vein. Yet.

Though we have obviously lost a lot of ground lately, the struggle to retain what's left is ongoing by today's Patriots.

In all walks of life.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I watched this the other day and sadly couldn't help but feel it relevant to the covid war.

Its a pretty captivating interview about a vietnam vets experience.

youtu.be...
edit on 7/28/2021 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/28/2021 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Kinda corny…but whenever the chow hall or defac is serving Lima beans, I always get a couple scoops on my plate in remembrance for those guys who had to endure “Ham and MotherF****ers days on end in Nam.
edit on 28-7-2021 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join