It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punishing Players for their Political Beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   
OU COACHES SAY PLAYERS CAN BE DISCIPLINED OVER POLITICS

In their motion to dismiss a lawsuit filed by former player Kylee McLaughlin, University of Oklahoma’s women’s volleyball coaches Lindsey Gray Walton and Kyle Walton say they are allowed to discipline players for political opinions because political disagreements can disrupt team unity.

It was the coaches pushing politics not her. Why are they allowed to insert politics into sports?

the women’s volleyball team were required to watch the documentary “13th.” On June 11, 2020, McLaughlin’s lawsuit says Kyle Walton asked McLaughlin “to give her opinion on the video.” While saying slavery was wrong, McLaughlin said she also “expressed her opinion toward the end of the video that it was slanted ‘left’ and that it took some shots at what President Trump said and compared it with beatings of Blacks from the 1960s.”

Within four days of the mandatory team discussion of “13th,” McLaughlin’s lawsuit said coaches and teammates attacked her as “a racist and a homophobe” during a meeting and that Kyle Walton declared he was “not sure I can coach you anymore.”

The coaches made her watch a political video then when she didn't agree with their narrative she is accused of creating political disagreements.

By Oct. 6, 2020, the lawsuit said that McLaughlin received an email from the University of Oklahoma’s “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” office that required her to “be in an individual ‘Growth Plan’” that “involved a series of online training” about homosexuality and “unlearning” classism, ableism, trans and homosexual negativities, and sexism. She was also “forced to take courses on diversity and identities, communication, intra-culture communications, active listening, and identity of privilege and race.”

McLaughlin’s lawsuit states that no other member of the team was required to undergo an individual growth plan.

Part of her punishment was being required to take CRT training/indoctrination.

In their motion to dismiss, the Waltons continued to portray McLaughlin as a racial bigot despite not citing any specific examples, saying the coaches “did not place Plaintiff in false light” and that McLaughlin’s lawsuit “fails to state anywhere Defendants were aware that Plaintiff was, in fact, not racist or homophobic.”

They have not cited any instance of her being a bigot or racist. She is conservative and that seems to be the reasoning for the labels.

Because an athlete’s political views may not be shared by other athletes, the expression of such views can be subject to punishment, the coaches’ motion argues, saying that “a player’s speech that potentially disrupts, distracts from, or hurts ‘team unity,’ ‘sportsmanship,’ or the ‘cohesiveness of the team,’ is subject to a coach’s remedial action.”

The coaches are the ones that required her to share her views, when they were not the same as theirs she was slandered and punished.

These coaches are also arguing that they are entitled to qualified immunity.

edit on 27-7-2021 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Link to last years article when the law suit was filed: Former OU volleyball player sues over exclusion from team because of political views

edit on 27-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Yup, the first sentence in the OP

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Reading now.

I don't understand what a red shirt year is.
She's claiming damages for future money she could have made as a professional volley ball player.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Weird. Oh, I see. I must have scrolled down and the address changed as I was coming up on the next article.

Thanks, I fixed it in edit.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This kind of mindset the coaches are displaying is actually kind of common nowadays in people all over. You are either with us or against us should be outlawed in this country, it is all over the place these days.

Politics should not be allowed to be discussed in sports, it can alienate team members. There are lots of other things to talk about, the country seems to be getting polarized over nothing...No politician or political party should be trusted by anyone in totality.
edit on 27-7-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Why does Kylee McLaughlin want to play with people who are so close minded and intolerant people. Sounds like a good turn of events for her.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Apparently, volleyball coaches are not at the top of the intellectual heap and are easily led, themselves. These useful idiots are part of the plan to divide the country by promoting the garbage theories of racists.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Thankfully, there are hundreds of high-caliber colleges, and Americans have freedom of choice. What a wonderful country we live in.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Reading now.

I don't understand what a red shirt year is.
She's claiming damages for future money she could have made as a professional volley ball player.

Well , since no one has let you know
A redshirt is a freshman that did not get to play first year or so .
They get an "extra" year .

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I always feel as though I'm living is some strange sci-fi story. This world is upside down and inside out and all over the place with no common sense in sight. How the hell did we ever get to this point anyway?

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

She did her Freshman year at Oregon State University, where she earned PAC 12 Freshman of the Year honors.
Then 2018-2019 at OU.
Then according to the newspaper source she took a red shirt year and practiced separately. Whereas the OCPA source says she transferred to another University.
I found her listed as playing for University of Mississippi 2021, #9.

As far as Pro Volleyball, maybe it only started this year. Athletes Unlimited

But of course I know nothing about sports.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:42 AM
link   

The coaches are the ones that required her to share her views, when they were not the same as theirs she was slandered and punished.

These coaches are also arguing that they are entitled to qualified immunity.

Ah yes, this sounds much like Facebook. Except Facebook does it on a much more astronomical scale. It really does feel like 1984 is creeping up on us doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: Gothmog

She did her Freshman year at Oregon State University, where she earned PAC 12 Freshman of the Year honors.
Then 2018-2019 at OU.
Then according to the newspaper source she took a red shirt year and practiced separately. Whereas the OCPA source says she transferred to another University.
I found her listed as playing for University of Mississippi 2021, #9.

As far as Pro Volleyball, maybe it only started this year. Athletes Unlimited

But of course I know nothing about sports.

You can have a limited play time in collegiate sports , and call that a redshirt .
Doesn't mean you can't win awards.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 05:26 AM
link   
People are sooo brainwashed, it looks like the "100th monkey" theory may be true !!!!!😃

The whole World is becoming a Banana Dictatorship 😃

new topics

top topics

join