It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dell Refuses to Ship High End Gaming PC's in Several States Due to Regulations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Do you live in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont, or Washington and enjoy gaming on overpriced fancy gaming computers? Too bad...

Due to state power regulations in the above mentioned States Dell, owner of AlienWare, those shiny LED strewn computers hardcore gamers use from their illustrious Cheeto strewn gamer thrones, will no longer be shipping their top of the line computers to those States.

www.pcgamer.com...

For the time being, Dell is no longer shipping certain Alienware Aurora R12 and R10 gaming PC configurations to half a dozen US states because those product lines potentially fall out of bounds of newly adopted energy efficiency requirements.

When attempting to configure one of those systems, a warning message appears in bold red lettering to alert buyers that their order will not be honored if the destination resides in one of the affected states.

This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont, or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states. Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled," the message states.

The Aurora R12 and R10 are built around the latest generation processors from Intel and AMD, the former featuring 11th Gen Core Rocket Lake CPUs and the latter wielding Ryzen 5000 series chips based on Zen 3.

Unfortunately for both Dell and buyers who reside in affected states, the majority of Aurora R12 and R10 configurations consume more power than local regulations allow. There are exceptions, though.

More regulations are coming, too. On December 9, 2021, Tier 2 requirements will expand to "computers with high-speed networking capability, multi-screen notebooks, notebooks with cyclical behavior, and monitors with high refresh rates."

Oh boy, the government will be deciding what kinds of refresh rates you monitor will be allowed to have or how much power your laptop will be allowed to use if it has multi screens.

And cause it is the mudpit and all, I suppose it's worth pointing out how blue these particular set of States are.

edit on 27/7/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Power consumption regulations on private citizens. The dozens of always-on, rarely used computers in many businesses may not use the new processor architecture but they are collectively more consumptive than one gamer's PC.

Oh well, gotta let the businesses have all the breaks and money is free speech.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Dell Refuses to Ship High End Gaming PC's in Several States Due to Regulations

This has been going on since right after the turn of the century .
California and a few other States decided to enact regulations for "Green Energy " PC parts.
Manufacturers that wanted to do business in those States had to make 2 different types of parts .
If you had to have a hard drive , you had to purchase a certified "Green" one.
Because of the energy requirements in the regulations , those parts had about 30% less performance.
PC manufacturers had to show their compliance by coding a special POST compliance screen such as "Green Energy Compliant"

That died out due to the gamers who lived there .

Dell has so much other business in other States and countries they are snubbing their nose at them .
Good for Dell

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My lab has about 100 computers on 24-7

Whatever

Companies will move.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Agenda 2031 🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   
And adding :
What burns out a PC faster a spike or a brownout ?
What is California known for as far as electricity is concerned ?

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Those states can suck it! I work from home, and obviously game from home. Hell, I have 2 Alienware 17r4's and 4 32" QHD Monitors. My power bill isn't even that high. However, the downside is that my living room sounds like a Network Operations Center. I'm even repairing a 3rd 17r4 as we speak. SMH.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
A good pc can run 600-800 kwh per year not including modem, printer, etc. An old refrigerator can easily double that.

People update pc's fairly often. How often do they update their fridge? If saving energy is the goal you go after the biggest wasters first. Focus your efforts where they will get the biggest results. But no, we can't do it that way...

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

The R10 is so awful it not even funny. And if you go air cooled AMD, Dell will use a modified intel cooler that will cripple the CPU's performance.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I had never made the connection that a brownout was a intentional voltage drop. You would almost think they would have found a way to lower the allowable ampacty while maintaining voltage for the strain it places on equipment. Seems like they could have smart electrical panels that could change the trip resistance of the main. Obviously not ideal, but conservation through such inefficient means doesn't quite seem appropriate.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Ironical these are all the states that voted for Biden and Liberals.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
A good pc can run 600-800 kwh per year not including modem, printer, etc. An old refrigerator can easily double that.

People update pc's fairly often. How often do they update their fridge? If saving energy is the goal you go after the biggest wasters first. Focus your efforts where they will get the biggest results. But no, we can't do it that way...

A good pc can run 600-800 kwh per year

And that was about 10 years ago .
As the size on chip drops , the requirements drop .

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Making room for electric cars? Since nobody has come up with where the electricity will come from this is the first step.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

I had never made the connection that a brownout was a intentional voltage drop.

Not "intentional" most of the time.
Weak circuit breakers are the worst .

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Maybe for those states they could sell bare boned or incomplete systems and let the end user complete the computer?

No CPU and or video card and let the customer buy their own.

Though I did say in another thread that lefties would eventually get around to restricting advanced electronics and the internet to their most favored and government officials. Just didn't expect it so soon.
edit on 27-7-2021 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

What an excellent personal delivery opportunity to capitalize on for an enterprising young entrepreneur. Aggregate orders and have them shipped to a state where deliveries can be made and then hand deliver those gaming systems direct to the owners in the restricted states.

They are already willing to spend thousands on those systems. They would gladly pay an additional $200 hand delivery fee.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
To be fair, this doesn't affect Custom PC builders, however the overreach is still ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadlyStaringFrog

When he asked about brownouts and equipment damage it clicked for me that it refered to voltage drop, when I looked it up I saw it happens both intentionally and unintentionally. An intentional need doesn't really make sense to me.

I don't know if the question was for me in particular, but I'm not the fellow in the meme charging his electric car at a station that gets it supply from coal generator. I see a lot of short comings with our "progress" in that area as well as others. I do believe we should practice more moderation in life and create effecient devices that actually work properly and for a long time. I disagree with the "progress" and the now. With now due to our form being built on unsubstainable need for waste to keep the perception alive, on the "progress" because it's an "aimless" meandering road to dependence and total control.

I've never understood how the "green" crowd wouldn't expect the evil oil companies to have enough means and leverage in the energy sector to also control that side of things. I think the short term reason for the politicians is money, but the long term is control. They plan on controlling the field by narrowing the potential suppliers through restrictions until we are down to single entities controlling entire factions of society as a mere place holder for daddy government.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:23 PM
link   
And many of these people suffering through brownouts are going to be wondering shortly why so many of their electronic and electrical devices are starting to develop failures. I have battery powered UPS systems on all my valuable electronics. When I first moved down to Florida I was warned that the local power companies are known fondly as FLORIDA FLICKER AND FLASH.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow this is a new one... I've seen carbon taxes in practice, but I've never heard of power consumption limitations in a developed nation, let alone the US... I presume these are regulations which have been put into place since Biden came into power?

I'm kind of baffled why the limit is so low, plenty of consumer devices use more energy than a high end gaming PC, are they now banned in these states too or is it just PC's? This is truly some sort of dystopian crap I didn't expect to see in my life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join