It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Health My Arse....Mental Weakness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

That's great! Good job, Tom and Kirk!!! Woohoo!!!

And it says nothing about anyone else.

Their accomplishments and their glories are their own and always will be.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Steady on there Victor. You're beginning to sound very British.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

You must not have read many ATS posts then.

You don't quit on your team. And like I said...lets she if she carries on with the individual stuff. And then there is Osaka, all the other tennis peeps talk to the media, win or lose. Looks like poor sportsmanship disguised as mental health.

I feel so sorry for you. You just aren't getting it. I guess you have never dealt with a mental health issue. I so hope it hits you so hard when you do that you will understand what is happening here. I don't know if I will feel for you or not if that happens as you are being such an enormous Richard Cranium.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   

First it was the tennis chick Osaka...who is American really, pulling out of a major cuz muh feelings. Now its Simone Biles cuz...muh feelings. Jesus H Christ...these are world class athletes who all of a sudden got a case of the mental herpes???

What is the name of Jesus is going on wit millenials?? I blame Harry and Meghan. They have made it OK to quit. Just blame mumsy and dad wads. No, it was in the 2nd grade when billy called me a name.
No, it was Aunty Jill making me eat peas when I was 4.

I dont see other countries acting like little pretentious turds. I quit watching any more olympics cux of this. Screw you US team. I hope nobody medals for the rest of the games you spineless, weak minded little turds. What would your great grandparents think...the ones who went through 2 world wars, a depression, getting whuppped, and being so poor they didnt have an inside toilet.

Signed,
Disgusted

you never know what someone else is going through, and if they ask for help and you mock them instead of help them, you are not a good person.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   

First it was the tennis chick Osaka...who is American really, pulling out of a major cuz muh feelings. Now its Simone Biles cuz...muh feelings. Jesus H Christ...these are world class athletes who all of a sudden got a case of the mental herpes???

What is the name of Jesus is going on wit millenials?? I blame Harry and Meghan. They have made it OK to quit. Just blame mumsy and dad wads. No, it was in the 2nd grade when billy called me a name.
No, it was Aunty Jill making me eat peas when I was 4.

I dont see other countries acting like little pretentious turds. I quit watching any more olympics cux of this. Screw you US team. I hope nobody medals for the rest of the games you spineless, weak minded little turds. What would your great grandparents think...the ones who went through 2 world wars, a depression, getting whuppped, and being so poor they didnt have an inside toilet.

Signed,
Disgusted

100%.

But yet the Electronic Sports (oxymoron) are taking off…

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Oof.

Do you understand the pressures of being a top performing athlete? Add to this a history of being abused....

But you could cope with all of that right? Whilst the spotlight is on you and you are being judged by a nation?

Let me guess... You're running 20km everyday, being a role model to kids, eating strictly, 7bdays a week commitment. Oh wait, you're not are you? You're judging others whilst hardly living your life.

K. U. D. O. S.

I'm not sure I stand by my words here.

I think .aybe she could have dealt with things a little better. When looking at details she's let her team down by losing her resilience.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Its absolute bollocks isn't it.

Pressure is not having enough money to pay the mortgage and your house is going to repossessed so you, the wife and the kids will have nowhere to live.
Pressure is not having enough money to put food on the table for your family.

Its a cop out.
She saw the strength of the opposition and bottled it.
She choked.

Its so easy to walk away and claim 'mental pressure'.

I'm sure these 'elite sportsmen/women' are under a lot of pressure.
But it sort of goes with the territory.
With success goes great reward.

Scared of losing and failure?
Don't get involved in competitive sports....pretty #ing straight forward.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You know, almost this entire thread is a perfect example of WHY someone like Biles might choose to do what she did!

Let that sink in for a moment!

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

She would have known what her mental state was prior to the competition starting.
She knows what it takes to compete at the highest level - her record is after all quite phenomenal.

She should have withdrawn before the games started and let someone else take her place.

For the record; I didn't know about the sexual abuse she has suffered, that makes her previous success even more remarkable - but that doesn't excuse walking away in the middle of a competition.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think you're confusing some concepts here, and probably the easiest way to illustrate this is with a question. ...

What is her 'obligation' compete?

Now, let's take a professional athlete in say football (yours or ours), do they have an 'obligation' to go out there and play? I would say "yes, they do". But we need to look at "why" this obligation exists. The reason there is an obligation to play is because their salary (pay) is based on their team winning and drawing paying fans to the stadiums and TV's. Sponsors pay for advertising and everyone makes money...resulting in the player getting paid (among others).

Simone Biles doesn't get paid a dime for competing in the Olympics. In fact, paying her would be a violation of IOC rules. So, what is her 'obligation' to go compete? Answer: There isn't one.

When you pile on top of that statements like those of the OP (and to a lesser extent yours) you create the perception of an obligation. Expectation is different than obligation. The OP expects her to compete, but she is not obligated to the OP to compete. Now consider all this from her perspective. Here are all these people jeering, effectively 'shaming' her into competing...not just now, but for years. Here she has achieved more than any other US gymnast, but that's still not good enough. Get out there and compete, god dammit, you OWE us!!!

Can you now understand why such a person might just suddenly say to hell with it? They OWE no one anything!

And let's just say the reason really was because she had a bad day. Okay, so what. She' not 'obligated' to go out there and have a better day tomorrow. and the retort to this is "You better score better tomorrow...OR ELSE!

Or else what?

"OMG, Simone Biles has quit the Olympics! That B****!"

Understand now?

edit on 7/29/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Whatever her reasons....her team mates stepped up to fill in for her.
Ms. Lee rose to the occasion, competing and winning a GOLD MEDAL, overcoming an injury sustained last year.
www.westernjournal.com...

American gymnast Sunisa Lee stepped into the void left by Simone Biles and won a gold medal Thursday in the women’s all-around competition of the Tokyo Olympics.

Lee ensured that despite Biles’ decision to drop out of the competition “to focus on her mental health,” the United States would bring home its fifth straight all-around gymnastics gold, according to USA Today.

and as a footnote...

“The Hmong here are very proud to be American,” said Sia Lo, a St. Paul attorney, according to NPR. “We hope all of America is proud of Suni. What she’s achieved showcases what is possible here in the United States.”

edit on Thu Jul 29 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Screw you US team. I hope nobody medals for the rest of the games you spineless, weak minded little turds.

And the U.S. gets yet more gold.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I'm not entirely sure how it works in the US, but I'm pretty sure all of her basic needs are being covered because she's a gymnast and because she's representing her nation on a world stage (on top of all the piles of money she has been making for having such a successful career).

In any case, to say she has no obligations it's to be ignorant of the world of sports. Mental issues or not, If she doesn't feel any obligations towards her teammates and coaching team, then she most be some sort of egomaniac.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

What is her 'obligation' compete?

She has no obligation to compete, I never intended to imply she did.....other than putting herself up for selection, travelling with the team and even taking part in qualification.
She didn't perform very well and then decided not to perform any more.

I understand professional sports people are under a lot of pressure, especially high profile one's like Simone Biles.

But she must have known she wasn't in the right frame of mind, that she wasn't as mentally strong as she had been in other major championships.

She should have withdrew a lot earlier without all the drama and allowed another gymnast to take her place.

Simone Biles doesn't get paid a dime for competing in the Olympics. In fact, paying her would be a violation of IOC rules. So, what is her 'obligation' to go compete? Answer: There isn't one.

Simone Biles will have made a hell of a lot of money from her gymnastic career.
She made $110,000 from the 2016 Olympics - a very small amount compared to her endorsements etc.
High profile athletes and gymnasts make a LOT of money.

The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee pays $37,500 for each Gold medal won, $22,500 per Silver medal and a Bronze medal pays $15,000.
Not a great deal of money by any stretch....but money nonetheless.
And as I said, its endorsements and sponsorships where the real money is.

Here she has achieved more than any other US gymnast, but that's still not good enough. Get out there and compete, god dammit, you OWE us!!!

She put herself up for selection.
No-one forced her, if she didn't want to compete she didn't have to.

Great champions in any sport are under enormous pressure.
They don't walk off half way through a match or competition.

And let's just say the reason really was because she had a bad day.

Lots of people have 'had a bad day' at these and other Olympics.
It must be horrendous to have spent four years training - five years in this instance - for your shot at Olympic glory and then to fail spectacularly.
It must be a truly awful feeling.
But many, many athletes - I'd suggest the vast majority - pick themselves up, dust themselves down and get straight back on the horse, especially in team sports.

She didn't, she quit.

No-one is knocking her record, she's obviously an all time gymnastic great and deserves every accolade for that.
But she shouldn't have been in Tokyo if that's how she felt.

"OMG, Simone Biles has quit the Olympics! That B****!"

No-one should be calling her names like that, its bang out of order.

Understand now?

Sorry, got to disagree with you on this.

edit on 29/7/21 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Simone Biles suffered horrific sexual abuse for years by the team doctor, which was prolonged and enabled by the absolute piss poor performance of the FBI in investigating the criminal abuse.

And she's still been a rock for the Olympic team for years. Until now. Until this injury. She's still a rock star in the gymnastics world and always will be.

If this is her breaking point, then this is her breaking point. Brightest blessings to her now and in the future.

That's right. Mandatory birth control pill in case of rape. FBI "G-Men" have been scratching their own armpits — they haven't touched women's Healthcare fraud/malpractice since Roe v. Wade.
www.fbi.gov...
archives.fbi.gov...

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm most angry about I now know this woman exists.

Wouldn't it be kinda funny if she was a marine and just fired tennis balls at the enemy and became a war hero?

Oh my bad, she's a gymnast. Maybe crossing that enemy bar pole then, or whatever they do.
edit on 30-7-2021 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

She didn't perform very well and then decided not to perform any more.

Any athlete, dancer, musician, or anybody who preforms like that, knows that once their body "knows how" to, and is capable of doing something, the rest is "mental" after that. Muscle memory takes over. It's a "zone" they get into. So, if someone like Simone Bile's brain causes her to forget where she is in the air, it isn't a matter of having a bad day. It's a matter of life and death, or at least extreme bodily harm, like a broken neck, back and/or paralysis.

It's not the kind of thing you can just shake of, or pull yourself out of.

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

And peoples fails and quitting will be the legacy of those that choose such paths. Your point?

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

Funny you choose Victor. The OP states the opposite.

posted on Jul, 30 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Yeah, I don't get it at all. My bad. Quit on team at last possible second....check. If you are good with those things, then fine.

But a top level athlete who chooses to do that, last second mind you, deserves a bit of criticism. I aint folding cuz peeps dont agree with me am I?

And to wish mental illness on someone is just retarded. Whats wrong with you. One cannot discuss? One has to project? Shame on you, not me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join