It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New speakers/studio monitors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Anyone else here an audiophile…??

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but just got myself a pair of Hedd type 20 mk2’s….

Amazing set of speakers……hearing details in music that I know really well, that I’ve never heard before…..

Have some acoustic treatment, and not the crappy foam stuff….some rw3 acoustic rock wall built bass traps…..have sonarworks as well to put the icing on the cake and couldn’t be happier with the sound…..

Taken me years to find speakers that dont give me ear fatigue after an hours worth of listening to them…..

Such a refined ribbon tweeter I could probably go for days listening to them with no issues….
edit on 26-7-2021 by Akaspeedy because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2021 by Akaspeedy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akaspeedy

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but just got myself a pair of Hedd type 20 mk2’s….

Amazing set of speakers……hearing details in music that I know really well, that I’ve never heard before…..

Have some acoustic treatment, and not the crappy foam stuff….some rw3 acoustic rock wall built abs traps…..have sonarworks as well to put the icing on the cake and couldn’t be happier with the sound…..

Taken me years to find speakers that dont give me ear fatigue after an hours worth of listening to them…..

Such a refined ribbon tweeter I could probably go for days listening to them with no issues….

Ive had a number over the years

Event 20/30
Event Opels
Adam S3x
Krk Rockets
Eve Audio
SE Electronics Munro Egg 150s

It really all depends on your environment, make sure its treated, because all are not going to sound like you heard in the shop, suggest you sort your room first, then trail your shortlisted models in you own room from the shop

If i had to pick again, because ive sold the majority of my studio, i preferred the SE Electronics Munro Egg 150s because they were just easier to use, could have done with a sub, but you find what works best for you, and any things you notice you can compensate for

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I did mention I’ve got bass traps and not the cheap foam stuff and sonarworks to put the icing on the cake lol pretty sure I also said I HAVE the type 20 mk2’s so not looking to audition anything at the mo lol

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

Have some acoustic treatment, and not the crappy foam stuff….some rw3 acoustic rock wall built abs traps…..have sonarworks as well to put the icing on the cake and couldn’t be happier with the sound…..

Event 20/30
Event Opels
Adam S3x
Krk Rockets
Eve Audio

It really all depends on your environment, make sure its treated, because all are not going to sound like you heard in the shop, suggest you sort your room first, then trail your shortlisted models in you own room from the shop

If i had to pick again, because ive sold the majority of my studio, i preferred the SE Electronics Munro Egg 150s because they were just easier to use, could have done with a sub, but you find what works best for you, and any things you notice you can compensate for

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I did mention I’ve got bass traps and not the cheap foam stuff and sonarworks to put the icing on the cake lol pretty sure I also said I HAVE the type 20 mk2’s so not looking to audition anything at the mo lol

Event 20/30
Event Opels
Adam S3x
Krk Rockets
Eve Audio

Im not sure what you've edited, but i read you initially as you was hoping to buy and considering the Hedd monitors?

But now you actually have them and the treatment, which i would agree, you dont really need anything or any advice

So not sure what the post was/is about anymore lol

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Event 20/30
Event Opels
Adam S3x
Krk Rockets
Eve Audio

Im not sure what you've edited, but i read you initially as you was hoping to buy and considering the Hedd monitors?

But now you actually have them and the treatment, which i would agree, you dont really need anything or any advice

Pretty solid monitors i certainly wouldn't be looking at anything else, especially for that genre
edit on 26-7-2021 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Event 20/30
Event Opels
Adam S3x
Krk Rockets
Eve Audio

Edited spelling mistakes that is all. Mods can confirm it

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I just bought a pair of Alltec Lansing Blutoof headphones. They rock out all the way to my mailbox. 20 USD well spent.

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Have some acoustic treatment, and not the crappy foam stuff….some rw3 acoustic rock wall built bass traps…..have sonarworks as well to put the icing on the cake and couldn’t be happier with the sound…..

At that price level, you should be able to listen without fatigue...

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Akaspeedy

I use Adams. Also no ear fatigue with those because of the tweeters? But no matter which studio monitors you use if you dont have proper audio treatment in the room that they are in they wont ever be useful for mixing and mastering. Youi seem to have that covered but i felt that needed to be put out there. I have seen many people with home studio's who bought decent to great studio monitors but did little or even nothing about deadening the room.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 26 Jul 2021 20:41:28 -05002120217America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

That’s why I use good quality headphones, you can hear all the nuances and nobody else has to hear you tweaking the sounds. For a bonus you save money on high end monitors too if your on a budget.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

While i also have a pair Of Studio headphones from AKG and they are great Headphones are not really a good substitute for mixing. there is no real stereo field using headphones. There are things you can get done with them but not to much or you would have to start all over again once you go back to your monitors. Some people claim they have trained themselves to it but i know of not 1 well known well paid mixer/mastering engineer that does this tbh.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It’s taken me years to find non fatiguing speakers…..the Adam a77x’s that a friend put into a studio space we rented were horrendous…..the THD in the tweeters would kill my ears within half an hour……the only other tweeter; a ribbon also was unity audios rocks mk2’swhich I still have and will never sell…..

They are a two way though and I was interested in the sonic differences with a 3 way and the hedds are something else……for the price they sell at, and the tech in them, they blow me away constantly.

And the final seal of approval, is me old man……he couldn’t stop playing track after track……

Yes they are that good

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have the Audeze lcd-x’s…..not sure what version as they never release that info, but I use them with sonarworks and don’t feel the need to buy another set…..at the moment lol

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ffs. Trying not to copy an entire post and just reply to the the poster and replied to no one lmao

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: Akaspeedy

The A?X series, never got on with them….it was always like knives to my ears….not sure what Adams you mean but the AX series were proper nasty in the high end

join