It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SL-1 Nuclear Reactor Disaster and other INEL tidbits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Back in 1992 I was privileged to train at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory for the Navy nuclear power program. I trained on the S5G prototype, which was a pressurized water natural circulation reactor, of which only one submarine utilized (the USS Narwhal: en.wikipedia.org...(SSN-671)). There were two other Navy nuclear reactor prototypes on the premises, one for surface vessels (A1W) and a retired plant (S1W). In addition, there was the Expended Core Facility (ECF) where U-235 was reclaimed from spent fuel rods.

All trainees lived in the nearby cities, mostly Idaho Falls, but some in Pocatello and Blackfoot. We were not allowed to drive onto the massive INEL expanse and had to take a bus every day (about an hour each way). After entering onto the INEL preserve one could see roads branching off of the main road, straight lines into the vanishing point. Many of them had roadblocks and danger signs. As students, we'd talk amongst ourselves what these roads led to, but no one really knew for sure.

Then one day I was in the dining facility and sat next to an old guy who worked somewhere in the ECF. He was VERY interesting and I found myself having lunch with him ever so often. One day I asked about these roads. His wry smile got wide and he started to weave his tale. Most of it I have forgotten, but I do remember two highlights which I'm sharing now.

One of these roads led to the SL-1 Reactor. This was the site of the only nuclear accident in the US that resulted in immediate loss of life. It was an Army effort to build a power source for remote posts, specifically in the Arctic. Here is a great documentary: www.youtube.com...

Another road led to the site where the nuclear airplane was developed. Although the airplane never did achieve flight under nuclear power, it was still an incredible concept. Another documentary: www.youtube.com...

After six months my time at the INEL prototype facility ended and I went on to a 30 year career in the submarine force, both active and reserve. I have so many great memories and can tell stories that amaze and dazzle, but I'm most fond of my time at INEL because of the history that was made.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Avardan

I’m a 732 IW worker and we have a lot of guys working at the INEL in Idaho falls as they are building a new nuclear facility. It’s a 5 year job. I suspect I will be out there working sooner than later

Liquidiron

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 04:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

join