It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professional sports in USA - no thank you

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: ketsuko

NBC is the main network.

It is, but you won't see the match on prime time tonight. It will be like it is. They might mention it in passing in the clip I had in my news article. I doubt they'll even spend much time putting it on one of the secondary or tertiery networks. Badminton and rowing are there.
edit on 25-7-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:01 AM
link   
About all there is left to watch is Curling. And it's not the winter Olympics yet

I actually really do watch it, the only thing I bother to catch during the winter Olympics. I will say this much -- the dude teams have an abundance of nice butts, and the chick teams have no shortage of funbags bouncing around during sweeps. It's really about the best sport there is for married couples, lmfao

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I was having fun watching the rowing, erm, sculling, the other day.

Of course, I was busy noticing that if I was going to watch through a "woke" lens, it was shockingly white!

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I have a work hat that is sweat stained, motor oil stained, different splotches of paint color on it and people continue to say to me, "Nice hat! Old school". It is a 20+ year old Seahawks cap.
I must stop wearing that hat to the hardware store. People think I'm a fan or somethin'.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ToddB

The long and short of it is that sports were a lot more exciting and fun when they were more about the competition and less about the personal activism of the athletes.

A lot of things are more exciting and fun when we don't have to worry about being woke or how everyone else voted.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It is, but you won't see the match on prime time tonight.

So because it's not a 'prime time' showing instead of the 3PM schedule that makes it 'woke'.

Gotcha. Just trying to keep up with all the new things that are woke so I know what to get angry about and what to protest next.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   
We used to have “if it bleeds it leads”. Violence still leads but now it has to compete with “if it hates America and seeks to divide the country, it leads”.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonGloves
We used to have “if it bleeds it leads”. Violence still leads but now it has to compete with “if it hates America and seeks to divide the country, it leads”.

They're just being rat-riotic.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I wasn't saying anything about it being woke.

It's just not one of the sports that ever really gets shown. You don't see judo ever, either. I was floored when they spent any time at all on fencing, for example, last go round. You don't tend to see any of the shooting sports much either like archery or riflery.

They also never show rhythm gymnastics or synchronized swimming much anymore. The last time I recall seeing any of the ribbon stuff was when I was a kid, same with synchronized swimming. I do recall seeing a bit of water polo tucked in here and there.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I wasn't saying anything about it being woke.

It's just not one of the sports that ever really gets shown.

Uh, alright, but the thread is about marys getting pissy that athletes don't share the same politics that they do, not that some minor sport isn't getting the same airtime as the big stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It used to be that the Olympics showcased the athletes who did well, even in the obscure sports. It also used to be that instead of doing endless human interest pieces on the athletes in the marquis sports, they would spend some time showing a bit of the obscure sports to fill airtime. They'd show those crazy bicycle races on the tilted oval tracks, for example.

Sure, it's stuff that no one would watch regularly, but for 10 or 15 minutes, it's kind of cool to see the things you never knew people competed and trained at. I used to look forward to the Olympics for that reason as much as or more than seeing all the boring basketball games that we get to see now.

How do you think curling suddenly got popular?

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Thanks for the heads up. I never heard of this before.

Of course only the first verse is sung. That seems traditional.

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us.
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

That sort of beats the idea of singing about one flag lasting through one battle in one war that the U.S. started by trying to steal land from Canada.

edit on 25-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Do you think every basketball and football player is on the woke BLM train? What do you think would happen if one of them started giving their contrarian political view? Not every athlete is allowed to express their views. Cancel culture only cancels one side...

I don't care one bit if an athlete has a different political view. When I watch sports I don't want to get it confused with CSPAN or Dr. Oz. The other thing is the athletes often come across as hypocrites. It's a lot easier to root for somebody when the only thing you know about an athlete is how they play.

They used to say you never want to meet your heroes. Now we see why.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Yeah, but it's not being touted as a national anthem, only as the black national anthem. The rest of us need not apply. That sort of destroys anything else found in the lines.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The rest of us need not apply. That sort of destroys anything else found in the lines.

We can just take it. Rebrand it. Make it ours. Like all of us.

It strikes me as odd:
"Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
'or the land of the free and the home of the brave?"
was written in a time when only some were free. So some were necessarily excluded. That sort of destroys anything else found in the lines.
edit on 25-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

How do you think curling suddenly got popular?

No idea, I don't watch the Olympics at all, I find it boring.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SouthernForkway26
Do you think every basketball and football player is on the woke BLM train?

I hope so, jut for the exploding heads on here.

What do you think would happen if one of them started giving their contrarian political view?

Like Brady being a Trump fan boi?

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

BLM has recently created a 2nd national anthem.

No. It was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1900 and set to music by his brother, J. Rosamond Johnson, for the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birthday in 1905.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Brady is an exception. He is a cheater. He is the best to ever throw a football. He is white. He is already a villain to most football fans. Being a Trump supporter is just another reason to be hated on. In a way he is a personification of Trump. He also keeps his politics off the field.

Off topic.. Trump was responsible for a lot of the vax development and encouraged people to take it yet his supporters are the most unvaxed. People don't worship Trump the way the left worship and obey their leaders. That's false projection on your part.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SouthernForkway26
Brady is an exception.

You move those goalposts. Pun intended.

How about Johnny Damon or Mike Ditka?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join