It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you Love Everyone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
"Loving Everyone" is an important aspect of religion that most people find difficult to accomplish. So rather than tackle the impossible, most of us bunker down in a delusion of righteousness, whilst ignoring one of the primary tenets of religion....

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

-- Matthew 5:43-48

Nhat Hanh in his simple way explains why people find it difficult to love everyone ...

If you pour a handful of salt into a cup of water, the water becomes undrinkable. But if you pour the salt into a river, people can continue to draw the water to cook, wash, and drink. The river is immense, and it has the capacity to receive, embrace, and transform. When our hearts are small, our understanding and compassion are limited, and we suffer. We can’t accept or tolerate others and their shortcomings, and we demand that they change. But when our hearts expand, these same things don’t make us suffer anymore. We have a lot of understanding and compassion and can embrace others. We accept others as they are, and then they have a chance to transform.

--Nhat Hanh

To open our hearts we must first understand our own nature. That darkness within ourselves manifests from an insatiable ego that continually seeks pleasure. In understanding ourselves better, we can comprehend the plight of others. What empowers their darkness, empowers our darkness. So rather than judge, we can develop greater compassion for their plight. Compassion that opens our heart.

If you are religious or not you must certainly agree that this world needs more love.

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Can you Love Everyone

Yes.
As being diametrically opposed to hate.

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I do agree that this world needs more love, more compassion, more care in general.

Also I enjoyed the quotes, thanks OP!
edit on 24-7-2021 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Can you Love Everyone

The short answer is no.
What I can do, is be indifferent, neither liking someone or disliking someone...as long as I leave something positive on the table, my feelings are not required and I feel no shame or guilt.
It is not a requirement to love in order to have compassion for other people.(in my opinion)
You might call compassion a by-product of love, I just call it not being a douchebag.

We accept others as they are

Live and let live, I don't really want to do more than that as I have a life of my own to live and my own mistakes to make.

If you are religious or not you must certainly agree that this world needs more love.

Do we need less douchebags in the world....of course.

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Love is such a slippery and elusive word that it may at times seem downright illusive.

Geneva was demanding "Say it. Say it. Say that you love me."

In her mind she thought of Roland's love for her as a bond. The bond that Roland would stay with her; providing, protecting, and defending her no matter what. Her definition of her love for him was that she would be there to receive all of that for today and for as long as some other more advantageous circumstance did not present itself.

Roland was aware of this irreconcilable difference in definition. He chose his words very carefully, "I love you. And I love me. But us? Us? I do not love us."
-- a recently added footnote to the old tragic fairy tale Geneva and Roland.

Actually, compassion is my preferred word. It comes from the Latin to suffer together with. You did actually come around to that when you wrote "we can develop greater compassion for their plight. Compassion that opens our heart."

There's another Jesus quote that seems to speak of compassion:

Matthew 11, NIV

16“To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

17“ ‘We played the pipe for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not mourn.’

18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

That verse 17 I like to think of children on one side of the street calling out to the other side, "‘We played the pipe for you, and you did not dance;"
The response from that side is "we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’"

I guess that's a type of whataboutism.

edit on 24-7-2021 by pthena because: formatting

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 11:24 PM
link   
No
Of course not but you can try and love those people you come into contact and have meaningful relationships with

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Geneva and Roland expresses the differences between true and false love really well.
Geneva love was grasping, always dependant on recieving rewards in return.
Roland's love was non grasping, without dependancies or attachments.
Without loving himself, Roland could not love Geneva.
Thus Geneva expressed false love. Roland expressed true love.

Perhaps love itself is also a joy when nature sings to us.
Likewise, love can also be a joy when we sing to nature.
Both experiences lost when the mind bombards us with thought.

So agree compassion is element of love but would also add joy, kindness and calmness of mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Geneva and Roland expresses the differences between true and false love really well.

No. It doesn't.
If it did, then you could never say that a baby loves his mother, or a child her parents. Children stay with their parents until a more advantageous circumstance presents itself.

They may both be true. Of course context matters.

Who wrote the Book of Love?

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
"Loving Everyone" is an important aspect of religion that most people find difficult to accomplish.

That is why people fail miserably at answering the question. It is not the accomplishment as much as it is trying to get there.

It is unrealistic to expect yourself to love everyone. The best we can do is try. By doing that, we are keeping ourselves in that positive mindset all of our life.

What's not to love about that?

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Which religion might that be?

Maybe one or two out of thousands have such an aspect

“Love everyone equally” - muhammed . Doesn’t quite sound right

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Its possible to love others once you focus inward and begin loving yourself. If you hate yourself, you'll project that hate outward and spawn more of it.

If the world was clean ex. No pollution to unbearable levels as were seeing now/ 5G/ dirty energy etc. Society wouldn't be overtly stressed out and malnourished but of sound mind/body.

Reflect Inward and the outward will follow. This takes practice for many.

Good post.

edit on 25-7-2021 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

No. It doesn't.
If it did, then you could never say that a baby loves his mother

Children havn't developed a strong enough ego. They far more capable of expressing true love.

I rest my case with this little girl....

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: PillarOfFire

Than you PillarOfFire,

That was beautiful

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

I see it differently Taupin Desciple. The minds love is limiting. It simply cannot love enimies. So the command "love thy enemies" demand you draw upon a love that has no limitations. That love is expressed in 1 John 4:16 "God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.". So the real purpose of "love thy enemies" is to force followers to exist in Gods love.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Very difficult to love everyone while still in our human form but we can strive to. The biggest key to being able to love someone you normally wouldn't is being able to see part of yourself in them and the way they are."Unfortunately human emotions, cultures, religions and belief systems hinder this.

There are also some that do not wish to receive love and don't know how to receive it and will respond in anger. The interpretation of Love i guess is different for many also and can seem quite warped when portrayed through different avenues.

Ultimately we are 7 billion humans with 7 billion different opinions, If we can't achieve "loving"everyone maybe we should start with just trying to be kind.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   

This planet is a destination of violence, self preservation and oppression.

The evidence is prevalent in nature itself, humanity recognises this evidence and refers to it as the food chain....almost everything is in the business of consumption of others for existence, survival and the right to reproduce. The planet itself through volcanic eruptions, earthquake, tsunami and events such as tornadoes and hurricanes further the destructive reach of nature.

All that said - to love everyone, to love life, to love existence, to love this world is to actually reject Jesus....so as you like your quotes try this one.....john15:18-25.

In reality why would anyone want to love everyone.

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
For a very selfless thing called love, it sure can be very selfish. Or maybe on what kind of love are we talking about? It becomes a very subjective topic, with various forms, depending on end results.

Friends can be the worst of enemies, while enemies can be the best of friends in this coup'd up world full stagnation an entropy. No one has to love anyone really, but it doesn't mean you have to hate, an waste time on them ether.
Love demands much sacrifice an endurance to be called genuine.
edit on 25-7-2021 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

"Loving Everyone" is an important aspect of religion that most people find difficult to accomplish.

Does God want you to do what He will not do? --
Rom_9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

In the judgment of souls do you love others the same as you love God?

If hell does exist then are you saying that God uses hell with love?

In conclusion, can love be a portion of respect?

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Yes CthruU you are absolutely correct. All the minds truths will untimately need be rejected for the one great truth. Nature is the lake of fire. The tree of knowledge of good and evil. Its purpose is to elevate enlightment through experiencing all that can be experienced. Our soul is indestructible. Its cloths, our body, disposable.

To love everyone, one has to exist in love.
When we exists in love we cannot be burnt by the fire.
edit on 25-7-2021 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Proto88

That minds love is selfish. The souls love unselfish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join