It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

miocen exhibition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Just wanted to share some photos taken yesterday at the very nice nature science exhibition Molassic Park here in munich, bavaria.
Located in the beautiful old botanic garden where the petrified flora exhibition pieces are shown right next to their still living counterparts.

It is about the geology, fauna and flora located north of the alps during the times 15 to 11 mio years ago. The landscape mosaic composed of junglelike forests, wet meadows, swamps, rivers, sees. The newly discovered great ape Danuvius guggenmosi was found here.

have fun

bizarre creatures like the hare deer, saber-toothed cat, whistle hare, ur-marten, giant water turtles, dog bear ( neither dog, nor bear but carnivore and lion-sized)

edit on 23-7-2021 by anti72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I always wonder how artist come up with their drawing without seeing the actual objects/animals.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

these are more scientific illustrations based on biology than artistic renderings..
I find them really really nicely done.

cheers
edit on 23-7-2021 by anti72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Seriously though……how is that thing with the three horns supposed to eat anything……..it won’t be able to get any food close enough to its mouth to eat lol

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Akaspeedy

en.wikipedia.org...

in the exhibition are some of their giant teeth, interestingly they did grow teeth rows that got pushed forward as they got older and when their last set of teeth was spent they just died, average age 50 years..nature goes strange ways .

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 07:11 AM
link   
My favourite thing to find in any museums that keeps pre historic skeletons is the placoderm fish skulls like the one near the bottom of the photos.
As a kid I had a book with placoderms in it and I was enthralled I have always loved fish my dad kept lots of fish so I have this love for prehistoric aquatic life.

a reply to: anti72

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Very cool, I love all things prehistoric.

Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akaspeedy
Seriously though……how is that thing with the three horns supposed to eat anything……..it won’t be able to get any food close enough to its mouth to eat lol

With a trunk.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: anti72

Loved this! Thank you for sharing!

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Nice pictures, and BIG!!!

I got to say, I spent more than a few minutes puzzled by the cranium with the permanent antlers. I looked and didn't see a seat for the antlers to grow from; they seemed a permanent feature grown straitgh from the bone. Am I right on that part???

And trollz above might be right about the trunk.

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach
Nice pictures, and BIG!!!

I got to say, I spent more than a few minutes puzzled by the cranium with the permanent antlers. I looked and didn't see a seat for the antlers to grow from; they seemed a permanent feature grown straitgh from the bone. Am I right on that part???

And trollz above might be right about the trunk.

hi there,
thats right, these were very strange animals, Micromeryx flourensianus.
the antler grew directly from the skull above the eyes, older ones could grow some more sprouts.
they ate leafes and herbs.

journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0185679

edit on 24-7-2021 by anti72 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join