It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More deaths and illness, to include high susceptibility to covid attributed to obesity.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   
CDC outlines obesity as a severe problem in the US. It also labels it as a contributing factor to covid illness and death. Last stat I read was upward of 70% of covid deaths were morbid obese related.

If the intent is to saves lives long term (and even short term) the focus should be re-directed to fighting obesity. It is as the CDC states an "epidemic" and it's obviously one that if reduced drastically, would save more lives than any vaccine for covid ever could.

We are fighting the wrong "pandemic".

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

It’s going to be ok, we are the point where a double quarter pounder with cheese is becoming unaffordable therefore unobtainable.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

That's been true for a long time.

But good luck getting people to actually do something about it rather than be offended by deadly facts.

You are not beautiful at any size. You are not healthy at any size. Whoever is gaslighting the country into believing this nonsense is actively trying to kill people with all manner of diseases attributable to obesity. Being obese is venerated and normalized rather than actively worked against because people's stupid feelings are being pandered to by people who say idiotic things like "healthy at any size."

Then there's the litany of excuses for lack of action by overweight and obese people. I've honestly lost patience with this topic because it's too easy to fool people and too hard to convince them they've been fooled (to borrow a phrase from our friend Mark Twain).

edit on 7 21 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Chalk it up to yet another category of people with pre existing health conditions, that this virus targets.

Seems to be very effective in taking out those that are using the system (financial supplementation) to combat their ailments.

That’s all a coincidence, amirite!?

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO
Or it could just be that these people have let their bodies rot and never cared about the consequences? Severe obesity already puts huge strain on the heart & lungs so of course those will be affected the worst
Or is it the popular theory now that the virus has been engineered ONLY to seriously affect those on benefits hahaha

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There seems to be a constant epidemic of dieting from what I am seeing!

My fat friends don't get flu any more than my thin friends! Not even my award winning athlete friends!

This is just one more manipulation and a way to turn one person against another!
I see many here are Drs so they just get it they are the better people! Lol

I think you will all welcome the new UTOPIA!

UTOPIA - A MAN LIVES IN A SOCIETY WHERE CITIZENS POLICE EACH OTHER WITH THEIR MOBILE PHONES
www.bitchute.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

You are not beautiful at any size. You are not healthy at any size. Whoever is gaslighting the country into believing this nonsense is actively trying to kill people with all manner of diseases attributable to obesity. Being obese is venerated and normalized rather than actively worked against because people's stupid feelings are being pandered to by people who say idiotic things like "healthy at any size."

"She was full of confidence and proud of her body. She never let being 500 pounds hold her back."
-Eulogy for 42 year old "fat acceptance activist"

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There's nothing in the rules of capitalism about educating society on how to consume less. That's not how industry works. George Carlin said it best:

edit on 21-7-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   

That's been true for a long time.

But good luck getting people to actually do something about it rather than be offended by deadly facts.

Then there's the litany of excuses for lack of action by overweight and obese people. I've honestly lost patience with this topic because it's too easy to fool people and too hard to convince them they've been fooled (to borrow a phrase from our friend Mark Twain).

I was obese up until 2020 when I had 2 major surgeries and am now "normal". One of the surgeries explained my obesity which I had worked very hard to overcome. I was down to 800 calories a day for over a year before my surgery and very very little weight loss, only 10 lbs over a year. at 800 closely counted calories per day. I found out the problem was in my digestive tract during my emergency surgery. My digestive tract held onto food and sucked every single atom out of everything I ate keeping me from losing weight at even 1200 calories a day and a 3 day a week gym workout.

There was no lack of action on my part and I knew people judged me as you are judging others as not doing anything and lying about my efforts. After the surgery I quickly lost 50 pounds and have no trouble maintaining my very slightly overweight status per BMI, size 12 ladies.

Please realize not everyone is lazy and doing nothing about being obese. My obesity wasn't my fault at all, or due to my lack of exercise or my diet. There are probably many others with medical issues that cause obesity.

I just feel fortunate that during 2020 I had emergency surgery, even when non-emergent surgeries were allowed, and my digestive system put back to normal.

Judging without knowing the facts for individuals because of how they look means you make ASSumtions.

edit on 7/21/21 by The2Billies because: formatting

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Capitalism?

How about self control, or the lack thereof?

Society actively accepts obesity as a legitimate body type worthy of protection from opinions. That's not capitalism doing that. People have choices, they often choose convenience over their own health.

Hell, people know smoking causes cancer and they still do it despite the numerous resources available for those who wish to quit.

People KNOW unprotected sex and promiscuity leads to pregnancy and STDs. People do it anyway and instead of practicing self-control, we've decided that birth control and abortions can cover the pregnancies. Today, STDs are on the rise and it isn't showing signs of slowing down.

Despite what people KNOW to be true, they are often slaves to their drives. Personal responsibility and self-control are essential ingredients in the life of a human being on Earth. At every turn we have lifted that burden from people and laid it at the feet of a failing statist system.

But... Capitalism...sure buddy.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

The VAST majority of obese people are overeaters.

This has been shown time and time again in study after study.

Write me another list of excuses, please.

You are what's called an anecdote NOT A TREND.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   

So you would have judged me as a compulsive overeater who lied about their efforts to lose weight?

Sure sounds like it.

Judging others you don't know is a bad habit that can end up biting you back as people unfairly judge you.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Once again, sunshine I'm not judging YOU. I didn't write this post with YOU in mind.

Grow up.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
CDC outlines obesity as a severe problem in the US. It also labels it as a contributing factor to covid illness and death. Last stat I read was upward of 70% of covid deaths were morbid obese related.

If the intent is to saves lives long term (and even short term) the focus should be re-directed to fighting obesity. It is as the CDC states an "epidemic" and it's obviously one that if reduced drastically, would save more lives than any vaccine for covid ever could.

40-50% of ALL China Virus deaths had the comorbidity of diabetes...according to the American Diabetes Association.

edit on 21-7-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Last stat I read was upward of 70% of covid deaths were morbid obese related.

So all the seniors that died were just to fat! Funny most look to thin! I guess pneumonia is caused by fat!

Why would anyone care then they didn't kill anyone else!

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

40-50% of ALL China Virus deaths had the comorbidity of diabetes...according to the American Diabetes Association.

We should all just trust the science!

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Risk of Death from China Virus 12X higher for people with diabetes...according to the ADA.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Risk of Death from China Virus 12X higher for people with diabetes...according to the ADA.

80% of ALL the people that die of China Virus are 65 and older.
16.5% of the US population is 65 and older (US Census)
25% of 65 and older have diabetes

94% of all people that die of China Virus have comorbidities.
45% of those are diabetic

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Not according to the Drs I have read.

Best Treatment for Obesity, Diabetes & Cancer
www.youtube.com...

So where do we stop? I have a good friend very thin and looks pretty buffed too, he drinks..a lot!

What about smokers? Mostly thin and people who drink huge quantities of caffeine all day?

No? They are all fine and dandy?

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This article from HuffPo from all the way back in 2009 highlighted how bad this was getting. One of the reasons we will never be able to afford any type of meaningful healthcare system is obesity. It is bankrupting us in ways we don't even understand yet.

No matter what health care delivery system this country adopts, no matter what plan or series of plans are enacted, it will be bankrupted in no time by the ongoing obesity epidemic if we don't act now. President Obama talks about adopting a plan that's revenue neutral. But no current cost model could ever compete with this frightening trend.

This week we learned that spending on obesity-related medical issues jumped 82 percent from 2001 to 2006, with the current price tag $147 billion a year.

Overeating and lack of activity combined is typically what causes obesity in the VAST majority of cases:

www.webmd.com...

However, if you don't bother to read that article: In the US it appears that overeating alone is the leading cause of obesity. This behavior clearly implies a lack of self-control on the part of Americans. My educated guess is that this is being played out in other "1st world" and emerging nations as well.

For those of you taking this personally, please stop. I'm not interested in your hurt feelings because you lie outside of the statistic and haven't figured it out. I'm not interested in you. I'm interested in the overall trend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join