It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Maladie Du Sang [CD2021] --non.writer--

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The pain was immense and distracting. I rely on my years of training to remain conscious but no one never told me it would feel like this, never mentioned the unholy grip of flame that would wreath my arteries.

Looking up and forward down the neon lined street I could see the dark minimalistic sign, my only hope for rescue, solace or salvation but I knew I was doomed. The sign I followed like Polaris in the gloom of midnight read "Café Delirium" and beyond it lie a cliché hipster boutique wherein was served the fair of it's denizens. Coffee, pastries and espresso would be on display the lofty scents of cinnamon and nutmeg would play about the knit capped heads of it's customers and their laptops and their smartphones.

I stifled a painful cough and gripped my neck hoping to stem the flow of the Maladie Du Sang. I could feel it even more now, pushing it's corruption further along my cardiovascular system; I grew more weary with every step toward The Café.

At long last I had reached the alley that led to the blocks beyond and slinked my way toward the access stairs near the café's receiving docks. Stumbling painfully down the stairs I leaned heavily upon the handrail as my vison began to pulse with a crimson malevolence that filled me with rage at having found myself in this situation to begin with. I issued the knock that served as our unit's passcode and waited.

"Verily, knight! Speak your cause or move along." A voice spoke from the other side of the door.

I said, "It's me Rico, they got me; There's no time for your LARPing crap."

From beyond the door I hear Rico, The Guild's doorman, unlatching and unlocking deadbolts and magnetic locks. "Are you sure?" Asks Rico looking pale and concerned.

"Yes I'm sure, how could I not be?" I remove my hand from my neck showing him the wound while walking into the Guildhouse, black lines of Maladie Du Sang gripping my veins as corrupted and lithe tendrils, crawling invasively down my neck.

"Oh no, no, no, no!" Rico was beginning to panic.

"Calm down Rico!" I whisper through strained exasperation, "Just get Saint and meet me in the infirmary."

"Saint? Saint is on a mission till later tonight she'll be gone for hours!"

I groan and punch the wall feeling my strength and hope wither like so many black roses left unwatered. "Dammit, okay Rico now you can panic because I'm officially a deadman. How is the Café?"

"What?"

"How is the the damn Café, Rico?"

"Everything upstairs is fine there are only a few customers and Anjutwan is watching the Promethean Senate like you..."

"Forget the damn Senate, Rico, follow me to the lab just in case I pass out. Afterward I need you to go up to the Café and tell Anjutwan to meet me in my quarters.

I grit my teeth and begin walking down a portrait lined corridor toward an open communal living quarters with identical corridors branching off in each cardinal direction. Heading down the east hall I make my way to Saint's lab and begin looking for a vial of already prepared Ombre De Lune. Finding the pulpy purple liquid I unstop the vial and quaff the concoction. The pain and red rushing in my head begin to slow. Rico watched the entire time not taking his eyes off of the two welting fang punctures in my neck.

"How did it happen?" Rico looked frightened but in a respectful sort of repose.

"I was stupid, careless and lax." Meeting his eyes I continue, "It's not the women we have to beware of Rico, it's the men. All that nonsense in the middle-ages texts... useless!" The rage was coming up now and I was losing focus quickly despite the Ombre De Lune.

"Well," began Rico, "Who was it? One we are familiar with at least?"

I scoff, "I should be so lucky. Well I'm not feeling faint so you had best fetch Anjutwan. I won't be long at this stage."

Rushing off toward the hidden entrance to Café Delirium Rico seemed entirely distraught but his training as a recon liaison for Commandement des Opérations Spéciales he was a trained observer and not ignorant in matters of combat medicine. He knew time was short and as such returned to my quarters post haste and with Anjutwan in tow both men looking concerned and curious.

"Sir," Anjutwan said meeting my eyes. "Has the Promethean Senate made their move?"

"No Anjutwan this has nothing to do with those blue ragdolls." I remove the gauze I had been holding to my neck surprised that Anjutwan had not noticed in sooner. "The vamps got me. For good this time. The Maladie Du Sang has reached my heart, Anjutwan and the time has come for you to fulfill your end of the bargain we struck when I recruited you in Kuwait. Please." I reach within my coat and pull a silver stake from the bandoleer slung beneath my arm.

"But there has to be something we can do, Boss. Saint,"

"Is not here, Anjutwan!" I growl feeling the rage of the Maladie Du Sang surge through my mind. "Finish me off now, I can feel this corruption eating at my heart!" I force the stake into Anjutwan's hands and this time he grips it. "DO IT!" I rage.

Gripping the stake in both hands as all members of the Culte du Délire are trained to do Anjutwan forces my silver stake through my chest breaking my sternum and impaling my heart.

Flame and ash are all I can remember. Flame and ash I shall remain for there is no salvation for Vampires. The Victimes de la Maladie du Sang. In my home, Café Delirium, the war would still be waged. Paris shall never know the sacrifice we make keeping them from the devils of Le Syndicat du Paradis de L'enfer. The syndicate of hell's paradise.
edit on Tue Jul 20 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Cpm6Tuesday0220215231Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:02:52 -05002021 by CagliostroTheGreat because: small edit

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

There have been so many fascinating stories for this writing competition, but this one I find utterly gripping. I'd love to know about the before and after of this saga. Is it a snippet in time or part of a bigger picture?

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well done !

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Oh wow!
That was very well written. I can't believe you don't already have writer status. Well deserved now.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

I used to but my bad behavior resulted in my losing somehow. It was given to me by tothetenthpower but that was years ago now I seem to have misplaced it...

Which honestly kinda hurts considering all I've contributed to this site over the years but I'm never one to back away from my proverbial lashings so here we are...

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I've still got so many to read 😭

This however is a snippet, as you say, but I can't seem to stop my mind from filling in so many of the blanks I kinda just want to write within this world more and flesh out it's factions, villains and heroes.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   

That was gripping and super dope dude
you painted great images, nicely done

I’ve been star and flagging every story from this contest. It’s like if you put the effort in, I’m giving stars and flags !

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Very nicely written! I wasn’t sure until near the end what the “Maladies Du Sang” was, ( I’m probably just out of touch with vampire stuff?) anyway... after I figured out what was happening I re-read the beginning over again with new eyes.

Starred & flagged, very well done 👍🏻

posted on Jul, 24 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jensouth31

Thank you but tbh the Maladie Du Sang is just french for the blood disease I don't believe it's particularly a part of vampire lore just me taking ng creative liberties.

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Awesome.

Love the imagery.

top topics

join