It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello ATS from a young Union Ironworker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

I come to ATS to hopefully share my knowledge on building, surviving and cooking! I’m 29 years old, I’m a member of the Local 732 Ironworkers Pacific Northwest District. I’ve been a long-tome ATS lurker and would like to share some of my knowledge about some of my hobbies and hopefully learn some new things!
I’m originally from Keweenaw county located in Upper Michigan. Recently moved to Montana in the past year for a new adventure and to learn new skills. I’m a skeptic of everything and choose to be and outlier of society maybe even a pariah!
I believe in being self sustainable, always looking to learn knowledge on survival, everyday camping, new gear and being independent from the grid. I travel for work (rod buster currently) and I camp out every night. Hoping to establish a few friends I can connect with and share ideas. I’m not too social of a person in real life as I’m weary of people haha but I tend to open up quickly when I’m comfortable. Hopefully this post conforms with the rules. I have CTE and a terrible case of ADHD so sometimes it’s hard for me to understand things!
Sorry for my grammar I’m not very skilled in that department

Greetings from the Northern Command Post,

Liquidiron
edit on 18-7-2021 by Liquidiron because: Grammar

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Welcome Liquidiron, you sure are living the dream dude. I’m sure you’ve checked out the survival forum in your lurking.

Glad you’ve decided to add your voice to the crowd.

a reply to: Liquidiron

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Thanks! I’m single, no kids and have been on the adventure we call life for sometime now! I find comfort in being alone and well I’m a big dreamer but realistic on today’s society. Thank you for the welcome !

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
good evening and welcome to you

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:41 PM
link   
1. I applaud you for gaining a trade!

2. I applaud you for your hard work; I know it's hard.

3. I wonder about your Union's political affiliation. So, please do tell.

4. Welcome to ATS!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Well, Flyingclaydisk first-off let me say thank you and I am a fan of yours! I’ve seen you far and wide on ATS so it’s a warm welcome for me.
It’s a little strange here in Montana. We are pretty unsure of our current leader and as far as who we align with I feel as it’s more centered around our state representatives and governor who seems to
be doing a fine job so far and does like us Union workers. I’ve been a ironworker for quite a few years now going on 10 and I’ve seen many leaders fail to represent us.
Let me describe a little bit of Montana’s current situation. Lots and I mean LOTS of Californians moving here and they are building and building. (Bozeman, Missoula, Big Sky everywhere.) I live in a small town on the eastern prairie side called Belt. Pretty little town and so far free from those people. The people coming here in droves want cheaper labor and building prices and it’s affecting us to a certain degrees . They are trying to push for Right-to-work here and it failed so it will be another few years before it comes back.
Unions are hurting everywhere and it’s a shame to see. It’s given me a sense of pride and a family as I’ve lost most of mine. Ironworkers are getting the short end of the stick currently by our leader (I don’t have any news articles on hand to prove it) but Chinese steel and non union companies are driving down prices quite a bit and there’s a large shortage in American mills for rebar right now.
I come from the Marquette iron range that goes all the way to the Mesabi iron range in Minnesota and it’s a shame from mining to mills to us we can’t produce more. Built in America is hard to come by

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
FCD is a guru
we have a few peeps from Montana here that I know of, they seem to make yanks wild and fiercely free in that neck of the woods.

If your any thing like the ones on here your in good company.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hi Liquidiron. How do the trees and terrain look compared to what they did in the Keweenaw out where you are in Montana. I was out in Montana back in seventy four...came back that way from our Trip to Alaska. In the areas we went by, it looked a lot like the U.P. I am from the Copper Country too. Living down by Marquette now.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS Liquidiron! You sound like a really cool person and I look forward to reading your posts. You know, I am not that social either any more. Most people just follow along with the narrative and I don't at all lol

Glad to see you here, and feel free to be yourself!

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Unfortunately the land isn’t the same. Back home in the Keweenaw things have returned somewhat back to normal as far as the forest but, now all the people who aren’t wanted there are buying up the land under the guise of it being a conservancy to avoid paying taxes and not letting anyone use the land. The locals responded how they should’ve to the whole scenario by chasing a lot of them out. Montana is the hottest real estate at the moment so we are seeing the same thing.
This summer in Montana has been BLAZING HOT. Everyday it’s in the 90s has been for atleast a month or so. Lots or wildfires currently

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Glad you joined! Welcome to the fam

Enjoy your stay

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Welcome aboard.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 02:49 PM
link   
"Now I'm a union man
Amazed at what I am
I say what I think, that the company stinks
Yes I'm a union man…"
Welcome aboard.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Did you work at the Tilden or Empire mines up here?

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Yes I’ve done several shutdowns there and my cousins was the blast foreman there for quite some time. The load is starting to run out so I don’t expect it to be there for too many more years. He got out while the getting was good.
I’ve been weighing heavily on moving back and transferring to the local 8 out of Marquette as my family owns a business in Keweenaw and really could use my help running it.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquidiron

Yes I’ve done several shutdowns there and my cousins was the blast foreman there for quite some time. The load is starting to run out so I don’t expect it to be there for too many more years. He got out while the getting was good.
I’ve been weighing heavily on moving back and transferring to the local 8 out of Marquette as my family owns a business in Keweenaw and really could use my help running it.

Hopefully it stays open for another two years so my brother can get a better pension. He has been at those two mines for twenty years now.

new topics

top topics

join