It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovered something tasty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Every now and then when we get takeout pizza I like to get a Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and canadian bacon). Wife doesn't care for it, so I just got a small for me. Didn't eat the whole thing, so I had some leftovers. The other day we were having some chicken wings for dinner and I'd picked up this delicious habanero honey mustard sauce for the wings at the grocery store. My wife has this crazy habit of putting yellow mustard on pizza (which I never heard of until I met her). I've tried it and it's not my thing. Anyway, today I was having a slice of my leftover Hawaiian pizza and I wondered if some of that flaming hot habanero honey mustard might be good on it. To my surprise it's excellent!! I just put a drop on one slice to try it, and then I wound up putting it all over both of my slices for lunch.

It's got all the bases covered; it's hot, it's sweet, it's salty, it's tangy, it's savory. YUMM! That smoky habanero flavor mixes perfectly with the pineapple and it's doubly delicious on the Canadian bacon!

So there we have it, my wife's crazy pizza habit led me to a new culinary discovery...Habanero Honey Mustard Hawaiian Pizza!

Who knew???
edit on 7/18/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Very interesting.

Try a pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeño pizza.

Pepperonis actually compliments pineapple better than Canadian bacon.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can imagine the taste! This must be similar to honey-almond-salt-chocolate in complimenting although very different taste.

Try creamed spinach, salt, fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground nutmeg with tea spoon of strawberry marmalade.

The strawberry compliments the hearty spinach with sweetness, similar like sweet-sour compliments. Just don't overdo it and nobody will notice the marmalade but marvel about how good the spinach is.
edit on 18.7.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I really like pineapple a lot. I should try it on more things. Whenever my wife buys fresh pineapples we usually wind up just gobbling them all up so there's none left over to use on anything.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

You had me right up until the 'nutmeg' part! I absolutely can NOT stand nutmeg! The rest of it sounds good though! I guess I could just leave the nutmeg out. I LOVE spinach!

The reason I don't like nutmeg is because of an experience I had with it over in Asia one time. These Malaysian gals who worked in our office were all giggling over some treat they'd gotten. I went over and asked them what they were all giggling about and one of them handed me a piece of it and said to try it. It was about the size of a lemon wedge, so I popped the whole thing in my mouth and started chewing. Their eyes all got real big and they were all staring at me. I'd just eaten a whole section of the nutmeg fruit! My entire body just wretched and I about passed out before I could spit it out! The most unbelievably intense nutmeg punch to the face I could possibly imagine!! And it didn't go away either.

Then I started getting really dizzy and light headed, not feeling well at all. I hadn't swallowed any of it, but I'd gotten enough of the effects. I was ill for the rest of the day. I didn't know it then, but nutmeg is actually toxic to the human body in large quantities.

Now I can't even smell nutmeg without feeling like I'm going to throw up.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Lol yes nutmeg can be critical. It's said you can hallucinate from it but the line between nothing - fun - death is very thin and I subscribe the hallucinate part to the system already shutting down.

Yes, you can leave it out, I only do one stroke on the grinder for and adult and a childs meal size batch.

I had a fish poisoning once and I absolute can not stand to smell or taste fish. I tried and my body seemed to remember, I had to get off the table and puked my soul out in the restaurants bathroom.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If this was a diferent forum I could tell u alot about nutmeg. I can say it was used for long boat trips to sleep most the trip away

for the rest ... you don't put pineapple on pizza

edit on 18-7-2021 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

for the rest ... you don't put pineapple on pizza

Yes I do, I eat what I like and how. The discussions about pineapple or not I find to be very ignorant. I've seen others here calling it an atrocious act but the rest of the time they act so tolerant and understanding.

It's a group-think thing, everyone needs to have an opinion on it and it's polarized. I get that it does not compute with Italian mindset of cooking but I could not care less

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   

This exact topic came up in our last food discussion. This is the one I bought. I use it sparingly, while I have a friend who will use it quite liberally. We also make our own sauces. Sometimes they really turn out good! Here's a good habanero and beer mustard recipe. We used an ale. I love cooking with beer, be they stouts or ales. We've done steaks with a marinade we made of Modelo Negra beer, mustard, and some green onions. They were incredible.

I totally agree with you on the pineapple! Love it. Hawaiian pizza is great. I just can't understand why some people hate it. To each his own, I guess.

One of my favorite pineapple recipes is a pineapple bratwurst. I simmer the brats in a stout beer for about 45 minutes. (One of those big Guiness bottles is perfect) Add a little water, then cover the pot. Finish them on the grill for a few minutes. Finally, slice them up and put them in a pot with a bunch of pineapple chunks. Low heat, stirring them. Just a few minutes. They're fantastic. Use your habanero mustard honey mustard on them! MMMMMMMM!!

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
yin and yang, sweet and sour, hot and cold when differences meet magic happen.

oh, I keep telling my wife that everyday also

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   

you don't put pineapple on pizza

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Yep, the exact same Melinda's hot honey mustard sauce I picked up the other day! Great stuff! I've been using their habanero sauces for years. I really like the Melinda's because you get all that really great habanero flavor with them, not just the 'hot' like you get with Dave's and others.

I'm definitely going to try out the beer mustard recipe, that looks great! The brat recipe sounds really good too!

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Have you thought about adding Kale?

On an even more serious note.. I think that making that pizza would be even better if some smaller chunks of fried, battered chicken on there. Plenty of options on the coating, but I might lean towards something like a panko style more than a tempura. Either in place of the ham or with it

|o/
edit on 18-7-2021 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

- Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and canadian bacon).

- Yellow mustard on pizza.

- Hawaiian pizza with hot habanero honey mustard.

You are pi$$ing off "The Family". They get one or 2 of your fingers for that, first offense.

Don't tell me you put ketchup instead of tomato sauce. That will take you straight to 3rd offense. Don't go "Hoffa".

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

you don't put pineapple on pizza

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Ketchup as substitute for tomato sauce is where I draw the border. It stinks awful and ketchup is not a tomato sauce, it's sugar and tomato concentrate.

Don't call it pizza then, call it bread with ketchup cheese and stuff.

Changing toppings is alright but that's like making Carbonara from an instant powder package or God beware, using milk.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Mustard is as bad as ketchup for pizza.

We don't do that. We don't do Canadian bacon neither.

Queste sono Americanate. Like watery coffee.

It's like using tofu for a cheeseburger.

Capito bella ragazza amica mia ?

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
seek help.
though i'm deeply offended, i'm willing to forgive if you acknowledge your mistakes and make an effort to correct this.
i'll keep you in my thoughts.
namaste.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Si può fare a meno di tutto. Purchè non si debba.

Capito vero uomo?

One can miss out on everything, If one isn't forced.

edit on 18.7.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Whatever, you guys...I couldn't really care less. Enjoy your pizza shaming, I don't care.

Some people think "Pizza" is Italian...LOL!! Not even!

All you Goombah wannabe's can kiss my...Italian ass!!!

Goombah's, all of ya dego lovers and pizza haters!!!

<<   2  3 >>

join