It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Bird is This One ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My daughter was walking the dog, on her way back she saw this huge bird and took a pic. She said it was really tall, about 2 and half feet.

I guess she didn't get closer because it looks a bit threatening and scared her. Maybe nesting and protecting the eggs or babies. Got velociraptor vibes hehehe !

This is in New Jersey by the way. Someone here can ID it ?

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Maybe a blue heron ? Those get pretty big and look similar

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: leemachino

Agreed...almost certainly a heron. You can't see its long skinny legs because it's wading.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Blue Herron, sand hill Crane maybe.
They remind me of pterodactyl when they are in flight. We have so many nests where I live because the mated pairs live in a marsh very close to my house. They fly over on the daily.

They have never been aggressive with me and usually take flight over fight but I also never go near their nests and try to avoid them as much as possible. I wouldn’t want to test the beak.

edit on 17-7-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Looks like a great blue heron to me. They are very large and all over out here in the midwest.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I would have said female peacock, as I belive to see some distinct feathers on his head... But it could be the background too...
Also his beak seems too short to be a heron.
edit on CDTAmerica/ChicagoSat, 17 Jul 2021 10:08:51 -0500pAmerica/Chicago7America/Chicago by Terpene because: More observations

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
She just came back. I showed her Heron pics on the computer. Yep, seems like a blue heron. We never had those in my area, I bet it's scaring people in the park.

Hope no stupid people disturb the bird, I was wishing it could be a sort of a cassowary but I'm too far from Australia

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Lol a baby cassowary would have been a solid find. Ride it when it gets older lol

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

That could be too. See the legs don't look too long for a blue heron. I'm not sure now.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Is that a river he is in? if so, most probably a blue heron as peacocks aren't much of water birds, and his long legs are probably in the water...

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If your near the gulf id go with great blue Herron. Though during the summer they will go as far north as maine.They can easily get 3 ft tall.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Is that a river he is in? if so, most probably a blue heron as peacocks aren't much of water birds, and his long legs are probably in the water...

Maybe you are right, I didn't consider how deep the water could be where the bird stands.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Interesting that you don't see them in Jersey. They are basically found across the entire US and pretty common almost across the entire range. Maybe just becuase Jersey

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Sandhill crane are a medium brown color with a red tuff on top of their head.
At least the ones I've seen around northern Indiana.

Looks like a blue heron.
Lots of them around here.
edit on 17-7-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Crain or Velociraptor and there is only one way to find out... Go up to it and if it flies away its a Crain, and if it goes for your throat its a raptor.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Crain or Velociraptor and there is only one way to find out... Go up to it and if it flies away its a Crain, and if it goes for your throat its a raptor.

I though if it was a Raptor, the one you were seeing was the decoy and if you went up to it, you'd get ambushed by the other two you never saw. Then they'd rip your entrails out with their massive claws and start eating you while you were still alive.

"Clever girl ..."

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I though if it was a Raptor, the one you were seeing was the decoy and if you went up to it, you'd get ambushed by the other two you never saw. Then they'd rip your entrails out with their massive claws and start eating you while you were still alive.

"Clever girl ..."

It is actually just a fake appendage that looks like a bird on the nose of a 30 ton meat eater...lol

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

It is actually just a fake appendage that looks like a bird on the nose of a 30 ton meat eater...lol

Angler Bird/Raptor...

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: leemachino

Looks like it may be. They visit my pond often, and are quite large. They can also be bold, because they don't run from my dogs very quickly, and they don't go far.

Could be they are just smart enough to know that the dogs can't get to them.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Great Blue Heron, there are a lot around here. Impressive and beautiful birds
ETA beat to it by.. well, everybody lol

edit on 17-7-2021 by Starcrossd because: added info

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join