It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study by the Wellcome Trust concludes babies have lower pain threshold than adults.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I was poking around on The Wellcome Trust website and came across this confusing article entitled: Babies feel pain 'like adults'

It just gives a brief overview of a study funded by The Wellcome Trust

Link to article: wellcome.org...

Link to study referenced in article: elifesciences.org...

"By comparing the brain scans of the adults and babies, researchers found that 18 of the 20 'pain' regions that activate in an adult brain are also active in the brains of the babies. These findings go some way to advancing our understanding of how babies feel pain, suggesting that they may actually have a much lower pain threshold than adults."

What is the goal of this research?

"Thousands of babies across the UK undergo painful procedures every day but there are often no local pain management guidelines to help clinicians. Our study suggests that not only do babies experience pain but they may be more sensitive to it than adults," said Dr Slater. "We have to think that if we would provide pain relief for an older child undergoing a procedure then we should look at giving pain relief to an infant undergoing a similar procedure."

Determining whether or not babies feel pain in order to figure out a solution.

Ultimately I think this says something about the medical industrial complex in general if they are seriously performing painful operations on babies with no pain relief guidance and doctors just winging it on what to do? This seems ridiculous to me and a clear sign that "experts" should most likely always be taken with a grain of salt. If they can't even figure out how to mitigate a baby's pain during a painful procedure, they have quite a long ways to go until I trust any of them with my personal health.

I mean the statement "our study suggests that not only do babies experience pain" what the actual....... was there really some hypothesis going out there that babies don't feel pain? I am so confused by this.
edit on 17-7-2021 by Chalcedony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well that’s it. Scientific Method again proves if we can’t harm babies to find stuff out, what good is science?

This of course makes me believe the medical community even more than ever…..

Did I get that right?

I wanna get off this ride now.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Study by the Wellcome Trust concludes babies have lower pain threshold than adults.

Standard common sense which most scientist have a severe lack of.
You have to experience pain , before the threshold is raised.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Chalcedony

All anyone needs to know about the Wellcome Trust is, they can’t be trusted and they aren’t welcome.

I wonder how much time and money they put into a study that for everyone else is blatantly obvious?

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Chalcedony

This seems like a very noble endeavor.

I wonder if babies can catch fire?

Or do puppies squish when you drive over them?

top topics

join