It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we remake plastic waste into rocket fuel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested. This type of rocket fuel can be used in some small launches like delivering microsatellites and so on... The new type of fuel for rockets might be another step towards solving environmental issues.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: james00

A link to a story or the company would be helpful.
Or even the name of the company so we can at least Google search it for ourselves.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: james00
Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested. This type of rocket fuel can be used in some small launches like delivering microsatellites and so on... The new type of fuel for rockets might be another step towards solving environmental issues.

Id imagine to make a difference it needs to be something we use a lot more. Rocket fuel for microsatellites is a very niche market.

Not to mention we already got a chit load of stuff floating around in earth's orbit.
edit on 16-7-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

www.forbes.com... /?sh=192742755540

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   

We have billions of pounds of plastic and this would use a few thousand pounds of plastic so it's not exactly useful in the long run

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

From a cost perspective it's better than nothing I guess.

My concern is the footprint to change it from waste to fuel, plus I'm puzzled does the waste change form or actually disappear?

Else wouldn't the money invested in making this fuel better invested in a biodegradable plastic?

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I remember seeing a Chinese startup company a few years ago where you could chuck any plastics into one of their machines and it broke it all down to it's original parts to re manufacture.
e.g the original oils and petroleum etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Yeah, this is the point. Only particular types of plastic waste can be used to be converted into rocket fuel. The following types like: Polypropylene (PP). Polyester (PE). Polystyrene (PS) and its mixtures and analogs

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This type of rocket fuel has already been tested. This test has shown that the new type of rocket fuel ( remade of plastic )is 1% - 3% better than kerosene by its energy characteristics.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Polypropylene (PP). Polyester (PE). Polystyrene (PS) and its mixtures and analogs

As Polystyrene is still used in a lot of packaging and is not commonly recycled converting it to rocket fuel would certainly give us something useful to do with it.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Yeah, if the ecosene fuel will be used by many space companies all around the world, we can recycle plastic waste that pollutes our environment. So let`s hope for the best

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I am not sure that ecosene fuel can be used for some long space journeys, but I guess even if space agencies use this type of fuel for some small launches like delivering microsatellites in the orbit or for some microgravity missions and experiments.

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The end of the oil era is near. see IEA forecasts. So... the fuel remade from plastic might be a good idea to solve that issue.
Plastic is everywhere in our life. Plastic recycling is an absolute necessity. We don't know do without.

top topics

join