It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Life Blood - Water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   
For a species that likes to believe we are so smart, we seem to be Hell bent on our own destruction.

I don't think there are many people that do not understand the value of water, yet we treat it as if it has no value at all. We know that without water, we die. Yet we constantly waste it, abuse it, and destroy it.

I tripped up on this video, I think everyone should see.

My mother always said, "You never miss your water, until the well runs dry." I hope we recognize its value before we miss it.

So many of us take it for granted. We have heard the stories of places where it is a rare commodity, and we believe it will never happen to us. While many of us are short sighted and ignorant of the possibilities that lay ahead. There are those that are already preparing to make water liquid gold. Something that we won't have, and will not be able to afford.

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

For a species that likes to believe we are so smart, we seem to be Hell bent on our own destruction.

I don't think there are many people that do not understand the value of water, yet we treat it as if it has no value at all. We know that without water, we die. Yet we constantly waste it, abuse it, and destroy it.

My mother always said, "You never miss your water, until the well runs dry." I hope we recognize its value before we miss it.

So many of us take it for granted. We have heard the stories of places where it is a rare commodity, and we believe it will never happen to us. While many of us are short sighted and ignorant of the possibilities that lay ahead. There are those that are already preparing to make water liquid gold. Something that we won't have, and will not be able to afford.

One hundred percent... wars will be fought over it, hell states have been fighting legally over water rights for decades it's just a matter of time or scarcity.

Desalination plants might become more abundant, but that brings its own issues. Personally think the water issue needs to be attacked on multiple fronts from reforestation of some of our deserts and arid places, and revising our current reservoir and dams procedures.

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Theres the guy who figured out how to clean up lake pollution

www.thethings.com...

And south Koreans that claims they have a perfect desalination membrain
www.engadget.com...

So its not all bad yet atleast
edit on 15-7-2021 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

One hundred percent... wars will be fought over it, hell states have been fighting legally over water rights for decades it's just a matter of time or scarcity.

Desalination plants might become more abundant, but that brings its own issues. Personally think the water issue needs to be attacked on multiple fronts from reforestation of some of our deserts and arid places, and revising our current reservoir and dams procedures.

We are really good at seeing the the signs along the road. Most of us can even read and translate the "Road Out Ahead" signs, we are just lousy at stopping, or turning around.

We really have gone past the mid point for possible disaster, but we won't do anything until we feel the pain, when it is too late.

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
Theres the guy who figured out how to clean up lake pollution

www.thethings.com...

And south Koreans that claims they have a perfect desalination membrain
www.engadget.com...

So its not all bad yet atleast

When you are taking more out of the pot than you are putting in, it will be all that bad soon enough.

In some places it has been very bad for a very long time.

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

We are really good at seeing the the signs along the road. Most of us can even read and translate the "Road Out Ahead" signs, we are just lousy at stopping, or turning around.

We really have gone past the mid point for possible disaster, but we won't do anything until we feel the pain, when it is too late.

Well it is gonna take innovations like those that have been mentioned in this thread and more. Hell if we just removed the unused paved and concreted areas and planted tree and green space would make a difference, but really we need to get away from being city-centric too.

But yea it's likely too late ...

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I believe you are right.

It will indeed take forward thinking and innovations, but on a large scale.

It has to start somewhere, and though it may not help people everywhere, for every place where we can stop or slow down the lost of the water supply, provides an improved chance of being able to bring those innovations to another place where it is needed.

It starts with awareness. Then we have to have enough people care enough to be willing to do something, then we need to actually do something.

I believe the sooner we start, the better our chances.

edit on 16-7-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Corrected word.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Yeah, a very important topic ...and one that will touch everyone.

I've lived in an overpopulated water poor region for most of my life and it's entered the "emergency" stage with no options.

Most places in the US already have polluted municipal supplies and everyone with a brain and funds uses bottled water or an expensive filter... due to imperfect treatment of waste water and apparent intentions to monetize everything connected to life.

There are a myriad of solutions, though they would need effort, foresight, funds and a will.

On most days I think the decision makers must just be waiting for some impending extinction level event as I don't see long term planning.

Dunno, maybe they're just a little bit stupid... or know magical thinking works?

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Most places in the US already have polluted municipal supplies and everyone with a brain and funds uses bottled water or an expensive filter... due to imperfect treatment of waste water and apparent intentions to monetize everything connected to life. There are a myriad of solutions, though they would need effort, foresight, funds and a will. On most days I think the decision makers must just be waiting for some impending extinction level event as I don't see long term planning.

The amount of time it has taken us to go from bad to worse is really short, but we choose to remain blind or we choose to ignore the inevitable. Of all the things we will be rightfully blamed for, in our negative impacts on the planet, our careless use, and treatment, of our limited water supply, is the one for which we should feel the most shame.

I remember as a child, after reading a book about a time in the future, when people had to pay for water. At the time, I thought it was the most ridiculous thing anyone could dream up. I was a child. I lived close to the water, we had a stream where people collected water, and we had a well. Water was one of the few things that was free for all, and easy to come by. A little over fifty years later and almost everyone buys their water.

When I look at what we have done to our water supply in just the last fifty years, it is scary, when I think of where we will be fifty years from now, if we don't do better.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   
My family lives down in Sarasota and they tell me the aquifer there (name is slipping me at the moment) drops so much that the land changes around it. I also remember reading in places like that, the water levels are dropping so low it’s actually brining seawater in and creating non potable water in some places. I’ll have to search for the articles. I’m from a small town on the northern peninsula of Michigan and Lake Superior is a greatest treasure. Over the years many states have tried getting our reserve of water and was shut down immediately by the people. I’m afraid most people’s responses are gonna be you make you’re own bed now lie in it as far as water supply.
Places like California, Nevada are unsustainable and should have a different mindset on how things are managed. But this is a consumerism world and things will not change until it’s too late

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquidiron

But this is a consumerism world and things will not change until it’s too late.

Or until we feel the thirst, and cannot afford to buy it any more.

We forget that we live on a gravity sealed planet. What we have, is all we have. Destroy it and there is all that there is.

We can do better. We have to do better.

edit on 18-7-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Format issue.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Most people have never had the sense of urgency when you’re dying of thirst. As my dad would say things are gonna get “jurrasic” when SHTF

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquidiron

Most people have never had the sense of urgency when you’re dying of thirst. As my dad would say things are gonna get “jurrasic” when SHTF

I guess we look at Mars and the Moon through a different set of lenses.

Why is America running out of water? Decreasing precipitation and rising populations could bring a perfect storm of water shortages for the United States. Where is our water going?

Within as little as 50 years, many regions of the United States could see their freshwater supply reduced by as much as a third, warn scientists. Of all the freshwater basins that channel rain and snow into the rivers from which we draw the water we rely on for everything from drinking and cooking to washing and cleaning, nearly half may be unable to meet consumers’ monthly demands by 2071. This will mean serious water shortages for Americans.

Why is America running out of water?

Commonsense is not very common, but even those with limited sense has to see, what will happen, if we continue the way we are.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I was fascinated by a video I saw years ago in which several people debated what poses the greatest threat to our existence. I thought I had a pretty good idea what it would be until one guy said, "Water." It honestly hadn't occurred to me.

I can go online and within a few seconds find the location of every cargo ship out on the ocean, where the wild fires are burning, how big they are and what percent contained they are, weather anywhere in the world, etc. But there is nowhere to go to find out what is coming out of the faucet in my kitchen. There is nowhere to go to find out how much water we have left. There are websites that can tell you some of what is in your water, but they are not conclusive and will most likely not reflect the current condition of the water unless there is something detected or reported.

The middle US relies on the Ogallala aquifer. It is one of the largest single deposits of fresh water in the world. It is replenished solely by rain and snow melt. Unfortunately, the level has been dropping about 2 feet per year and only replenished around 3 inches. When its gone - its gone. The aquifer supplies water to 1/6th of the worlds grain crops. Losing that water means losing a whole lot of food too.

In life or death conditions the priorities are air, shelter, water, food. You can last a few minutes without air, a few hours without shelter, three days without water, and two weeks without food. And make no mistake that we are living in a water economy. Not oil, gold, energy, technology, or anything else. Its water.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

And make no mistake that we are living in a water economy. Not oil, gold, energy, technology, or anything else. Its water.

With all the tales flying around the internet regarding depopulation and population control, this little nugget of truth, makes one look at these beliefs a little bit closer.

If we continue down the same path, and do nothing, there will not be enough water for all the world's population, animal, human, or vegetation. Unless we do so very quick evolving, joking aside, if we don't protect our water supplies, reduce our water waste, and stop polluting our water, I think we could be looking at extinction level problems that maybe should get a little table time, at least.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   

A friend in Costa Rica dispelled this myth for me...has to do with rainforests, saltwater, clouds and sun.....I keep forgetting what it's called....

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

A friend in Costa Rica dispelled this myth for me...has to do with rainforests, saltwater, clouds and sun.....I keep forgetting what it's called....

I am not sure what he told you.

Did it have anything to do with the disappearance of the rain forest?

It is believed the salt water is rising, and will bring about serious issues of fresh water contamination. It is also believed the rise will be significant, and some even fear massive flooding, stretching far inland, past the coastal areas.

If any of this does happen, it will just speed up the process.

Let us say, for the purpose of playing devil's advocate, that we will never be without enough potable water on this planet, to sustain all life, in all its forms.

How do we explain the increasing lost of potable water across the globe?

I live in an area where the majority rely on well water. Even here we are having increasing problems with obtaining consistent potable water, without a lot of effort and a lot of money.

For us it has a lot to do with the rapid increase in population, into our rural area, an area that has a very fragile water table. But money talks, and commonsense has no place at the table of rational thinking.

Either way, it remains sound and prudent for us to respect and to protect our water supply.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

so one one hand you say desalination plants cause issues, then go onto say we need to plant forests in deserts. now if you can think logically you would see that if you want to plant trees (or almost any other plant life), in a desert, you need water to do it. since it is a lack of water that makes it a desert in the first place with little to no plant life. and of course the ONLY environmentally friendly/responsible way to get water to do so is desalination plants and then piping the water in.

in fact by building desalination plants to do so, as well as for areas that need water such as places like California, Utah, and Nevada (all deserts, and all whining about being in a drought, while they have been increasing water usage through things like farms and population growth), you not only provide them with the water they need. but at the very same time reduce the water in the oceans that they are also whining about rising. which if you actually stop and think about it, it is the fact that ALL inland waterways are draining into the oceans. which is what creates the rising ocean levels in the first place. and is also what has actually created much of the deserts in the second place.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

Terra forming, and massive influxes of people into certain areas with limited supplies, as well as the construction of dams, in some places, has indeed caused us problems in a large number of places.

A while back we had a year of severe shortfall of rain. This put us all in a dicey situation. At the very time we were having real concerns about about water supply, our brilliant, local government, wanted to allow the construction of a housing development that would bring in 44,000, new residents, along with businesses.

I have never seen people become so politically active as I did that one short year. We were successful in preventing the construction and the depleting of what was left of our water supply.

It has been about ten ago that this happened. A year ago they started building those developments. What changed?

We went nine years with an increase in rainfall. No suffering, no fear, no action.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Just a suggestion but let's nuke Las Vegas. Seriously, how much water does it take to create a fake oasis in the desert? It's my city, born and raised, but it shouldn't exist and the water could go to, I don't know, maybe some farmers who actually grow our food?

Can't even claim us as producers of great people who excel in the international spotlight. I've got Billy Ray Cyrus and his daughter, Andre Agassi and Greg Maddux. Or is it Maddox? No matter, he only won one title, bloody underachiever.

Just give us all fair remuneration, let us all get out of dodge then blow the place up. All the pools and lakes and bull, it's really disgusting and I'm talking about the place I was born in. I don't say this as a joke, really, just get rid of the place.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join