It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elusive glass octopus spotted in the remote Pacific Ocean - Stunningly Beautiful

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I love seeing deep-sea creatures. I find it amazing how they've adapted to their dark and cold environment. Nature knows camouflage is unnecessary in the dark, so transparency is the way to go.

This particular octopus is the most beautiful I've seen to date.

This rarely seen glass octopus bared all recently — even a view of its innards — when an underwater robot filmed it gracefully soaring through the deep waters of the Central Pacific Ocean.

Marine biologists spotted the elusive glass octopus (Vitreledonella richardi) during a 34-day expedition off the remote Phoenix Islands, an archipelago located more than 3,200 miles (5,100 kilometers) northeast of Sydney, Australia.

Source: www.livescience.com...

From Wiki: en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Octopi are fantastically interesting animals their intelligence is off the charts.

edit on 14-7-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It is amazing that so many animals in the deep blackness of ocean have evolved to be so beautiful...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Absolutely! I wonder if the level of intelligence is equal across all octopus species. For instance, our friend, Vitreledonella richardi (should play for Italy with a name like that), lives in the dark and probably has less interactions than the usual octopuses we know. Would this "boredom" make it less intelligent or would it instinctively learn new tricks in a different environment? I think its IQ is equal to others.

edit on 14/7/2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.
Defo 'other Wordly'!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I agree it’s too bad they are so short lived. Actually that might be a good thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

Absolutely! I wonder if the level of intelligence is equal across all octopi species. For instance, our friend, Vitreledonella richardi (should play for Italy with a name like that), lives in the dark and probably has less interactions than the usual octopi we know. Would this "boredom" make it less intelligent or would it instinctively learn new tricks in a different environment? I think its IQ is equal to others.

Oh, I think it would likely have a very high IQ unless it's a drifter like a jellyfish.

octolab.tv...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I agree it’s too bad they are so short lived. Actually that might be a good thing.

Yea its pretty short I think

LOL worried if they live too long they would take over?

Who knows but when you hear stories like the one who continuously squirted water from it's exhibit in an aquarium to burn out the light over its tank. Or the one stealing crabs from crab fisherman traps there is a different kind of intelligence, not to sound like Muldoon but intricate problem solving intelligence.

Wasn't there that one story where an octopus again in a seaside aquarium opened up the top of its display tank, slid down the side, slithered, and crawled across the floor to a drain pipe that went straight to the ocean.

So much so that there are way out there theories they might be alien beings...

octolab.tv...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Damn that's beautiful.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I watched something that once talked about how there were places humans aren't meant to be.
For example, the depths of the ocean, or in a volcano etc. I forget what the video was but sometimes I believe that.
When I see this extraordinary creature, it makes me think about that.

Maybe we aren't meant to see it because then we can pollute it with our ways.

My daughter once told me she would not eat octopus because she thought it was wrong to eat such a sentient creature.
I'm the farthest thing from a vegetarian, but in this one case I have to agree with her.

edit on 14-7-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing this. Crazy beautiful creature.
Now that they know where to find them, someone in the East will be trying to scoop them up to serve as sushi.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Thank you for posting this.
Defo 'other Wordly'!

Rainbows
Jane

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Athetos

So much so that there are way out there theories they might be alien beings...

octolab.tv...

I've always had the same inkling that they are not of this world. They're just so different from other marine life; like spiders in the world of insects. Their whole nervous system works totally different than any other animal. Their arms have "intelligence" of their own and are not controlled by their brains. However, their empathic traits and interactions with humans does make you wonder about their origins.

I know it's crazy but who knows...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I agree and have the same qualms. However, I'm a sucker for fried calamari... pun intended.

I know it's hypocritical of me to say so, but I don't see squid in the same light as octopuses, even if they are all cephalopods. In any case, I don't even remember ever eating octopus, per se, just squid... and I don't eat sushi, so no chance of being slipped octopus unwittingly.

edit on 14/7/2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Thanks for sharing this. Crazy beautiful creature.
Now that they know where to find them, someone in the East will be trying to scoop them up to serve as sushi.

Yep, they're pretty crazy that way. What may save them is that, to a customer, there is literally nothing to see!

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
a reply to: JAGStorm

I agree and have the same qualms. However, I'm a sucker for fried calamari... pun intended.

I know it's hypocritical of me to say so, but I don't see squid in the same light as octopuses, even if they are all cephalopods. In any case, I don't even remember ever eating octopus, per se, just squid... and I don't eat sushi, so no chance of being slipped octopus unwittingly.

Well, squids are supposed to be intelligent too.

and while we are pondering this and that now what if the squid was intelligent enough to know our taste for calamari. How does a sentient intelligent creature respond? If you knew they knew what you were doing would you still eat them? LOL

I'm pretty sure I could give up calamari, after all, while good calamari is really good bad calamari is really bad. However, lobster, crab, scallops, clams, and Mahi Mahi Id have to think about.

www.inverse.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Thanks for the link, very interesting!

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
It is amazing that so many animals in the deep blackness of ocean have evolved to be so beautiful...

Side effect of nothing being able to see you. There is no evolutionary pressure to remain drab and blend in, so outlandish things can happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

That's a cool creature , seems Nature saved its best for the deep sea environment , the video is like a glimpse at an alien landscape that could be replicated on a number of our Solar System's Moons.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Awesome creature , I raised a Mimic Octopus was the craziest animal , I would walk by the tank and get confused because it looked like I had Seahorse's in the tank but the Octopus had been checking out my Seahorse tank and decided he wanted to be part of the gang .

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Octopus and Jellyfish have become an interest of mine lately and this Glass Octopus just adds to their amazement!

I've had thoughts about these creatures being Alien life and if they could walk, would most likely be more intelligent than humans! Look at them a certain way and if you have the eye, you can see a small Alien/Human Hybrid swimming in the Ocean.
edit on 14-7-2021 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join