It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing Or Listening, Which Do YOU Do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I cleaned grain bins one Fall for one of the coolest, most laid back men I have ever met, Don Sandle, owned Sandle Seed in Fort Pierre at that time, 2010.

Helluva job to say the least and I understand why Don asked me that one question, as soon as he saw me....well, actually his first words were "Oh you're a big one..." as I climbed into his Ford F150, the truck of the working man.

The second thing Don said was "Before I put it in drive I need to know NOW.... are you hearing me or are you listening to me?"

I felt I knew the right answer because of similar comments like that from various people over the years so I went with the latter, and Don said "Good. Because if you were just hearing me you were done before you started."

Don didn't pull punches, at that time he was over 70 years old but looked 50ish, said it was the beer and homemade sandwiches in the little blue cooler behind him... You know, I never met his wife but I could feel the love in those sandwiches... She just used so freaking much mayo and I'm a mustard guy...

Anyway I'm rambling, here's what this is about, do we ever stop listening and learning because there's an authoritative figure looming overhead "helping" us to hear?

Garfield once said "Never Trust A Smiling Cat", I had the shirt in highschool. All I see since Trump was cheated in November of last year is smiling faces on the glowing screen telling me what I need to do. And it makes no sense because for the previous four years I was told what not to do because of OMG, Orange Man Good.

You see, I #ing listen sometimes and sometimes, yeah, I hear ya, but I ain't listening because I know bull# when I see it, hear it, and thanks to time spent in South Dakota, I know what it smells like. Actually after awhile the smell grows on you ANYWAY here's two songs from two opposite genres but I hope you'll read and listen to the words.

It's just a few minutes of your Sunday evening, give it a shot. Once again, on a cellular talking apparatus so I'm linking to the vids. Hope you all had a peaceful and productive week and a restful weekend.

Anybody Listening?

Smiling Faces

edit on 05/30/2021 by EdisonintheFM because: Grammatical errors.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

It all depends on what else I'm dong at the time, and/or who is doing the talking, and/or what they are talking about, and/or what I was already thinking about before they started talking (ie if I'm hungry, I might not be hearing or listening, but rather just thinking about food. lol), and/or.... it just depends. There are too many factors and variables that can influence the situation and tend to push me one way or the other....

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thank you for expanding my musical horizon. 2020’s Call to Attention. Bravo! a reply to: EdisonintheFM

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It depends. Are you telling me things I've never heard before or are you telling me the same stuff everyone else is?

If it's the same old, same old, then I'm likely hearing because I already listened to it before. Sorry if you feel bad 'cause you weren't original.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Thank you for the embeds!!!

I know I can use the desktop version but I'm lazy at times. And I have fat sausage fingers so I'm constantly having to correct mistakes.

And I'm like you, sometimes I listen, sometimes I just hear things.

But I'm learning to listen to certain individuals not because I believe or like what they say, but because of the exact opposite. It's along the lines of keeping your enemy closer.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes! It's easy to tune out repetition, especially when it seems to be Bologna.

In jail they served us bologna sandwiches daily for lunch, occasionally giving us a hotdog.

Couldn't eat bologna for two years after that. Rarely do now. Same for oatmeal, and I love both bologna and oatmeal.

The difference between hearing and listening is sometimes vast and depending on which you've done for whatever new experience, it could be rewarding or life threatening.

Once Don explained what I'd be doing while cleaning out grain bins I realized THAT was the time to listen. So many bad outcomes were possible.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: UnRepentantHarlequin

No problemo!

I listen to it all. The world over. If crickets can keep a beat, I'm nodding and bobbing.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I just had to post this pic .. this is my pin that sits in my bathroom and I see it everyday. Garfield is one of my fave cats

Now off to listen

Funnily enough I have a lizard and I have to keep crickets in a separate cage for him. They are not an annoyance .. it’s music

edit on 11-7-2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat

Oh wow thanks for that. I needed that, you have no idea. Thank you!!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

You’re most welcome!

Hey everything’s connected huh
hehe.. isn’t it funny I have that pin?!

I hear, listen, and feel you..
I have to absorb you to understand you
hah, you know energy wise. It’s easier in person. Digital can be difficult.

The songs were good. I added them to my playlist.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   
While reading something like this post and listening to talk radio at the same time, my attention will block one or the other. It's harder than trying to comprehend two different conversations at the same time.

Q: If a tree falls in the forest, and there's nobody around to hear, does it make a sound?

A: Yes, it will make a sound but no noise.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I'm glad you liked them. I was always into music, and like I said all kinds. But three events happened from 2009 until 2019 that made it hard to listen to any music, I felt dead inside. I'm just now starting to regularly listen to music again without any anxiety or depression creeping in on me. It feels good. I missed it.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
While reading something like this post and listening to talk radio at the same time, my attention will block one or the other. It's harder than trying to comprehend two different conversations at the same time.

Q: If a tree falls in the forest, and there's nobody around to hear, does it make a sound?

Brilliant answer, never heard that one.

And somehow I comprehend that. Twenty years ago, not so much.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM

I'm glad you liked them. I was always into music, and like I said all kinds. But three events happened from 2009 until 2019 that made it hard to listen to any music, I felt dead inside. I'm just now starting to regularly listen to music again without any anxiety or depression creeping in on me. It feels good. I missed it.

Hmm, I see. Sorry to read about that. I’m really glad you can enjoy the beauty of music again.

I went trough a period not long ago of hating any music. It’s like it triggered a type of anger I couldn’t control so I didn’t listen. Now I’m listening, hearing and feeling the music. It’s magical. I’m a little obsessed with trance/house music right now. It’s vibing
but I listen to a variety as to get it all

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Brilliant answer, never heard that one.

And somehow I comprehend that. Twenty years ago, not so much.

It seems to be a natural brain function to filter out useless information from your senses, conserves your brain's bandwidth so to speak. I endeavor to control that by paying attention when needed and ignoring some things entirely. I use it esp. for people who drone on and on about a topic I have zero interest in. I blank out and say things like "uh huh", "sure", "really?", "yea" until I can come around and actually respond. I may use this ability to focus intensely on some sounds to the exclusion of others as well.

This seems to be the topic, the focus of your attention is listening to something and simply hearing it doesn't imply focused attention.

As for that tree, it made a sound, but sound doesn't become a noise unless someone hears it. Plus as we all know people can hear noises that aren't sounds, like hearing one thing when you have said something else. Not to mentioning hearing "things" in general. I have heard things that I couldn't prove were real sounds and people with mental disorders hear things all the time.

new topics

top topics

join