It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Air Fryer - I Think I Want One

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
My convection oven died.

There is just me and my mother. Neither of us do any real cooking, and the oven was used mostly for warming up leftovers, or cooking up frozen meals like, pizza, pot pies, and the like.

I don't want to invest in anything expensive. I am looking for something big enough to get the job done, without taking over the whole counter, something simple to use, easy to clean, and something that just takes care of the basics. No wifi or Siri connections.

I have spent several days looking the internet trying to make a choice. Just when I think I have found the right one, I find a negative review on it. I know you only get three kind of reviews. The one from the person that loves it, one from the person that hates it, and the one from the one that is getting paid to review it.

So if anyone out there has any information on air fryers. I would be extremely happy to hear from you. Pros, cons, any advice. I just don't want to waste my money.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Some people like them. Doesn't get as hot from what I read but how often do you need 550 degrees which is only good for making a homemade pizza or searing meat. Just get a good brand and pay a little extra. Lots of cheapos out there.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

Some people like them. Doesn't get as hot from what I read but how often do you need 550 degrees which is only good for making a homemade pizza or searing meat. Just get a good brand and pay a little extra. Lots of cheapos out there.

I will not be doing any real cooking with it. Just quick frozen stuff and reheating.

I know you get what you pay for, but I am not doing anything major with it, so I don't want to spend a lot for something that just basically is warming my food. But I don't want something that is not going to work, or is going to stop working a month down the road.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I will not be doing any real cooking with it. Just quick frozen stuff and reheating.

I know you get what you pay for, but I am not doing anything major with it, so I don't want to spend a lot for something that just basically is warming my food. But I don't want something that is not going to work, or is going to stop working a month down the road.

Thanks.

Then you need a toaster oven, not sure how big they get, but I once had one because all I did was eat fishsticks, chicken strips, and heat up leftover pizza.

Didn't use the oven for almost a year. But get a decent sized one, mine was tiny, too small sometimes, if I wanted fries with fish or chicken.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I bought the Instant Vortex for my wife for Christmas 2019, and could not be happier. We can make even homemade french fries taste good in that thing. It is all non-stick so nothing sticks to anything, even the grate pops clean of melted cheese.
I love it. That's my story.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Thanks.

Then you need a toaster oven, not sure how big they get, but I once had one because all I did was eat fishsticks, chicken strips, and heat up leftover pizza.

Didn't use the oven for almost a year. But get a decent sized one, mine was tiny, too small sometimes, if I wanted fries with fish or chicken.

I had a toaster convection oven. It died. That is why I am looking into the air fryer. It seems to be the next best thing. From what I hear.

I am hoping that real folk, with real experiences can help me decide.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   

If you can get one on sale buy it. They're pretty amazing. Easy delicious food

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ToddB
I bought the Instant Vortex for my wife for Christmas 2019, and could not be happier. We can make even homemade french fries taste good in that thing. It is all non-stick so nothing sticks to anything, even the grate pops clean of melted cheese.
I love it. That's my story.

It look promising. And it is in the right price range.

What size did you get? I am leaning toward the 10 quart, but I am not sure how to pick a size.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   

If you're mainly reheating food then you don't need convection, just heat.

A toaster oven is under a $100.

You DID say you wanted to not spend a lot right?

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The air fryer won't replace a convection oven, if you enjoy that toasty flavor you get from one. But its a great gadget. I air fry fries and tots a lot. Just spray them in oil so they get that oily crisp. I don't do much else....just warm frozen stuff. I hear you can cook in them, but i have good methods im not interested in experimenting with.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have the Kalorik Maxx 26 qt. Stainless Steel Air Fryer Oven. It only cost about $150. It heats up frozen foods and leftovers well. It makes nice, crispy French fries. I've had whole chickens, turkey legs, a medium ham and medium sized roast beef turn out good with it.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:09 PM
link   

if all it did was wings, it would be worth it. it does more, but the wings are so damn good. and easy.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   

We were on the fence about them. Then the widowed neighbor lady down the road who is friends with the wife gave us one of hers (she was getting a bigger one). Here's what we've found (honestly).

I thought it was going to be like a glorified toaster oven. However, it's actually quite different.

PROS - It does a fantastic job on chicken wings! Best wings ever! I'm talking about raw chicken wings too, not pre-cooked or pre-seasoned ones.
It does a bang-up job on hashbrowns, better than Mickey D's.
It does a killer job on fish, like grilled salmon (raw), or fish cakes (battered and frozen).
French fries and tater tots are excellent. Crispy just like deep fried but not oily at all.
Does a fantastic job on lamb chops (raw). Haven't tried any pork chops yet, but judging by the lamb chops I think it will do great.

CONS - Though it will fit a whole chicken, and says it will cook it...DON'T DO IT! Horrible job (i.e. straight in the trash).
Bascially, we've determined that the air fryer is not suited to any food with a large amount of mass to it. So, things like roasts, whole chickens, or even thick cuts of any meat...cook them a different way (not air fryer).
Vegetables are kind of "Meh", some are okay, some not (though I'm not really a fried vegetable guy).

We've used ours a lot more than I ever thought we would. It really is pretty handy. Ours isn't very big and we just shove it in a corner. Clean-up is a breeze (super easy and fast). Thing heats up fast, like a rocket.

If I were to score it, I'd give it an 8.5 to a 9. Prior to getting one I was sure that score would have been a 5 to a 6. We looked at them pretty hard for a while too, like yourself, and came to the same conclusions (meh). Then the neighbor lady gave us hers, and we've used it ever since.

Probably about the best review I could give it is this:...We never bought one. The one we got was free. If this one ever broke, we would absolutely go out and get another one! (and my wife really IS a Chef).

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Wings in the air fryer are the absolute BOMB!!! Hands down, the best chicken wings I've ever eaten...anywhere!

We don't even sauce them, just season them with dry seasoning and air fry them up. Then we put sauces out to dip them in.

Best wings you'll ever eat!

And I completely agree with you...if the ONLY thing the air fryer did was wings, I'd still buy one! They're THAT good!

ETA - We would never dreamed of eating chicken wings for dinner. Now we eat them for dinner all the time, and it's so easy! Just grab a couple pounds of wings from the butcher counter, season 'em up, and put 'em in the air fryer (no more than 1 lb at a time, we actually do about (14) wings max at one time). I could eat chicken wings every single day now because they're always different, and the sky is the limit on what you can do with them.

edit on 7/6/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   

In my experience, Air fryers sometimes can steal the soul of the food.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

In my experience, Air fryers sometimes can steal the soul of the food.

Good grief! It's not Lucifer...it's just an air fryer!!

LOL!

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thanks guys!

I think I have been sold on the air fryer.

Now I just have to decide on which one.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: network dude

Wings in the air fryer are the absolute BOMB!!! Hands down, the best chicken wings I've ever eaten...anywhere!

We don't even sauce them, just season them with dry seasoning and air fry them up. Then we put sauces out to dip them in.

Best wings you'll ever eat!

And I completely agree with you...if the ONLY thing the air fryer did was wings, I'd still buy one! They're THAT good!

ETA - We would never dreamed of eating chicken wings for dinner. Now we eat them for dinner all the time, and it's so easy! Just grab a couple pounds of wings from the butcher counter, season 'em up, and put 'em in the air fryer (no more than 1 lb at a time, we actually do about (14) wings max at one time). I could eat chicken wings every single day now because they're always different, and the sky is the limit on what you can do with them.
They can do up some drumstick/thy quarters that will make you popular and get you layed, too.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I would 100% say yes to getting one. You don't have to spend an arm and leg my 80$ does everything it needs to

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with 4-Quart Air Fryer is what I have. It actually does all sorts of neat stuff, but I've found chicken thighs coated in a crust of seasoning and olive oil cooked for about 16 minutes (flip at the halfway point) come out absolutely amazing. Working on marinating some chicken for burritos this evening that will be cooked on that thing. Heck I've used it the last 3 days at this point, will be 4 tomorrow as it is hands down the easiest way to make bacon ever.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join