It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Most Intelligent And Crucial Choice - Knowing When To Stop

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Crisis. One of the definitions of the word crisis, listed in Dictionary.com, is

a stage in a sequence of events at which the trend of all future events, especially for better or for worse, is determined; turning point.
www.dictionary.com...

In every crisis, there is a turning point. A point where you

This is not a post about science is bad. I have spent the majority of my years working in a evidenced based, scientific based, career field. I have learned, and have been witness to some amazing feats made possible through science. There is no doubt that millions of lives have benefited from the discoveries of science. What I am suggesting is caution.

Regardless to how great, or how safe a thing my seem to be, there is always a dividing line. There is always a too much, a too far. The further we go across that line, the more dangerous and deadly it becomes.

Man is not very good with dealing with impulses. Our pleasure centers have a tendency to shut down our ability to reason. So desire wins out more times than is sound or prudent.

We are facing a time when pharmaceutical companies have a strong and powerful influence on the governments of the world. Unfortunately the science that most pharmaceutical companies are interested in, is the science of mathematics and finance. They view the world as over populated, so most humans as expendable, and the wealthy humans as necessary, at the moment.

The scientific world is not unaware of the dangers that the path we are presently on can bring forth. Unfortunately, most people trust the scientific community to always do the right thing. Their trust is illy placed. Scientist are paid workers, in many cases they don't even own the creations of their own minds. They are warning what is easy to predict. Another crisis is at our door. A crisis that anyone that stops
and thinks about it, will see it coming.

The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis

The rapid emergence of resistant bacteria is occurring worldwide, endangering the efficacy of antibiotics, which have transformed medicine and saved millions of lives.1–6 Many decades after the first patients were treated with antibiotics, bacterial infections have again become a threat.7 The antibiotic resistance crisis has been attributed to the overuse and misuse of these medications, as well as a lack of new drug development by the pharmaceutical industry due to reduced economic incentives and challenging regulatory requirements.2–5,8–15 The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has classified a number of bacteria as presenting urgent, serious, and concerning threats, many of which are already responsible for placing a substantial clinical and financial burden on the U.S. health care system, patients, and their families.1,5,11,16 Coordinated efforts to implement new policies, renew research efforts, and pursue steps to manage the crisis are greatly needed.2,7
The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis
edit on 5-7-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word Correction.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I've been reading on that for a few years now. It does seem cases of resistat bacterial infections is on the rise and short of something new coming on the market, we will be back to the middle ages when it comes to treating infectious bacterial infections. Which will SUCK. The question is what to do? And will it even be allowed fue to all the restrictions and rules placed on scientific research.
I was born in '86 and sadly had a doctor for most of my childhood that thres amoxicillin tabs at the slightest sniffle. Looking back on it now, that hurt my immune response in the long term. For years a simple sinus infection would put me out of action for a while. a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodswatcher

I think that antibiotics should be the last line of defense. We live in a world that is teaming with microbes, including the universe of microbes that we each personally house. We have had a symbiotic relationships with microbes from the beginning of our existence.

When we were children we ate from the ground, we washed from a basin, and took tub baths once a week. We were strong, healthy, and my 85 year old Mother still brags to this day, about how all eight of us never missed a day from school from illness or a cold.

When antibiotics were placed on the market, we were conditioned to think all bacteria are bad, and we drowned our environment in antibacterial products. We opened the door for a war of survival. They had to fight back.

I wrote a post about it a little while back. www.abovetopsecret.com...

We can't win this war. We exist in billions, but every living thing carries a whole universe of microbes with them, whether we are living or dead.

We were meant to coexist. I am not saying there is never a time that antibiotics are necessary. I am saying they should be used only when needed and they should be organism specific.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have a friend that takes antibiotics every time she gets a case of the sniffles.
She is plagued by stomach/gut problems.
She takes a doctor's advice over mine.
I'm just that dude that wallows in filth like an ol' bitch dog, but never gets sick.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

She is not alone.

I used to work with a doctor that specialized in infectious diseases. He would not allow his space to be cleansed with antibacterial products, and he did not use antibacterial hand sanitizers regularly. He believed there was no substitute for plain old soap and water.

If I need something a little stronger than soap and water, my go-tos are bleach and vinegar.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think nanotechnology will be the solution to the antibiotic resistance problem.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I think nanotechnology will be the solution to the antibiotic resistance problem.

And what do you think will be the answer when nature responds?

The biggest problem we have with trying to play God, is that we can only see forward in microscopic segments of time.

Nature adapts to things we won't see coming for several generations. When we start screwing around with stuff we see today, we can be damning what nature has already started adapting for in the future.

We think about today and self. Nature includes all life and survival of the whole planet.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is 100% true

The antibiotic resistance crisis has been attributed to the overuse and misuse of these medications, as well as a lack of new drug development by the pharmaceutical industry due to reduced economic incentives and challenging regulatory requirements.

So what is your point? That Big pharma needs to invest billions into something that doesn't pay back? lol...This has been a problem since the 70s, so what is new here? Why should they?

Maybe the CDC/Government should incentivizes the research.

If you think making drugs for profit is bad then why hasn't the rest of the world overcome this instead? Its because drug research is very expensive and the way Big Pharma does it still creates massive number of new drugs that would not ever be created in other countries, so it still works better.

edit on 5-7-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

This has been a problem since the 70s, so what is new here?

a reply to: [post=25965780]Xtrozero[/post

No one is suggesting the problem is a new problem. Actually, it is discussing a coming crisis due to the long term over use and often indiscriminate use of antibiotics.

edit on 5-7-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word Correction.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

No one is suggesting the problem is a new problem. Actually, it is discussing a coming crisis due to the longer term over use and often indiscriminate use of antibiotics.

Overuse and and improper use is the key here. In underdeveloped countries they will not give enough to do the job to save or make money. So give 5 days worth when you should take it for 10 days as example. In first world countries for decades doctors prescribed them for conditions that were not even bacteria, but viruses.

This is why hospitals have some really nasty ones on the verge of incurable, but there are new drugs in this area all the time still being develop as we all see the seriousness of the situation.

2017: vancomycin 3.0 is 25,000 times more powerful than its predecessor, as example.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No one is suggesting the problem is a new problem. Actually, it is discussing a coming crisis due to the longer term over use and often indiscriminate use of antibiotics.

And hand sanitizers etc. this last year and a bit. Kids need to innoculate themselves with dirt, snot and all that so there may be a weakening of immunity in children born this year. I know people who are actually bleaching all their groceries, surfaces, and kids are being kept inside in that.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Culture and sensitivity test used to be done before they prescribed an antibiotic, It was a way to identify the organism, and to select the antibiotic that would be most effective in curing the infection.

Broad spectrum antibiotics became popular, indiscriminate prophylactic treatments, with no follow ups, and too many people not completing the full course of antibiotics, have strongly contributed to antibiotic resistant microorganisms.

Our goal should not be to wipe out all microorganisms. It should be more about controlling any disease producing effects that the organisms present.

There is no long term benefit with handing out antibiotics without proof of their need, and without proof that the medication will be effective.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Husband is a micro and we never do anti-bacterial things here, either, unless there is no choice at the time or we're facing a surgery or something special like that.

For example, the morning before my shoulder surgery, I did shower with an anti-bacterial soap.

One piece of good news, if you want to call it that, is that the resistance genes are expensive for bacteria to carry around. If we stopped using our antibiotics, they'd pretty quickly drop those genes. It would be like hitting a reset button, but it's estimated that it would take about three years of going cold turkey in order to do it, and in the meantime, things would be frightful.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

And hand sanitizers etc. this last year and a bit. Kids need to innoculate themselves with dirt, snot and all that so there may be a weakening of immunity in children born this year. I know people who are actually bleaching all their groceries, surfaces, and kids are being kept inside in that.

There is a lot to be said about exposure to the microorganisms we have to share an environment with.

One of the first infections that a baby comes down with is thrush, because they learn their environment by putting everything they can grab, in their mouths. At birth they start the long journey of building an immune system that allows them to live in this world into which they were born. They have only have their mother's passive immunity for a short period of time for most diseases, so they have to make their own.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

One piece of good news, if you want to call it that, is that the resistance genes are expensive for bacteria to carry around. If we stopped using our antibiotics, they'd pretty quickly drop those genes. It would be like hitting a reset button, but it's estimated that it would take about three years of going cold turkey in order to do it, and in the meantime, things would be frightful.

That is very true. A bacteria is a very simple lifeform and when they get something new like resistance they give up something else. They found super resistant strains were easily over whelmed by like bacteria that had no resistance. So the patent is given the older no resistant strain that takes over and then they treat it with simple penicillin.

top topics

join