It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Java /Jamun Plum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I have had this tree in my yard for over 20 years. I have seen a few berries, close to the top, too far to reach, and never of enough interest to bother with.

This year the tree has come into its own. It is quite large. Its branches are abundant, and the fruit is overflowing. I had no idea what it was, so I had to go looking. I found out it is a Java plum tree. I am hoping there will be someone with access to ATS, that can tell me about their personal knowledge of this tree and its fruit.

From what I have found on the internet it is common in India and Asia, and is used to treat darn near about everything. They call it the wonder tree because all parts of the tree, the bark, roots, leaves, and fruit, is used for medicinal purposes.

I tasted the fruit. It is described as:

They have a dark purple to almost black skin with a starkly contrasting pink or white flesh. The flesh is extremely juicy and has a flavor that combines sweet and tart with a slightly astringent aftertaste.

specialtyproduce.com...

I could not have described the taste better.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Does it have a big seed, like an olive ?

If no big seed, I'd make a jelly with it. Otherwise, you can boil it and make some nice cold drink with it.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Thanks for the response.

Here are pics of the seed.

I saw an article on how to make ice cream with it. I know it is greatly used in India and Asia. I am just curious how my fellow ATSers have found the fruit, and if they have their own recipes for how to use the fruit.

I heard that some people chew the leaves, and that the tea from the leaves is very healthy for you.

I am a big tea drinker, so I made some tea from the leaves. It is supposed to help with weight loss.

It taste okay. The leaves taste awful, so I will not be chewing the leaves. I will let you know if I notice any change in the weight loss department.

edit on 4-7-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Okay these darn things are starting to appeal to me.

I would say it is a bit more than an acquired taste. It is more like, after two or three, the astringent taste just isn't as noticeable, and the sweetness gets stronger.

Gave some to a neighbor, and she said the same thing. She is going to see if she notices a change in her blood sugar numbers.

posted on Jul, 11 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Update.

I have Chron's, and have lived almost all my life with intestinal issues.

I have been eating this fruit, and or drinking tea, made from its leaves, for about a week now, and I can definately feel a difference in digestive problems.

It is supposed to be good for stomach ailments, and diabetes. I am not diabetic, so I can't speak to that, but I can say it is the first time in years that I have gone more than three days without having to take something for my stomach.

I am interested in seeing what happens long term.

top topics

join