It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines C-130H crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 06:16 AM
link   
A Philippines C-130H, that was handed over from the US in January, has crashed. There were 96 people on board, with at least 29 dead. The aircraft was transporting troops for counterinsurgency operations. The aircraft was attempting to go around after a failed landing attempt when it crashed. So far 50 people have been rescued, with 17 unaccounted for.

The aircraft first flew in 1988 as a C-130H, before being converted to an MC-130W. It was stored in 2016, before being overhauled and converted back to a C-130H, and handed over to the Philippines early this year. This marks the second time that a newly handed over aircraft has crashed. The Philippines received a number of S-70i airframes from Poland, and lost one on a training flight shortly after it was handed over.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

damn, that bird was like new. I think our newest one was built in the mid 70's. (POPE AFB)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   

(post by deckdel removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Holy s%*# 50 people survived that wreckage! I am shocked...

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

They said more than a few jumped just before impact, so some of the survivors may be them. Some of the missing may have jumped as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Sounds like pilot error. My guess: came in too hot for the landing, delayed going to full power for the go around, probably experienced a departure stall trying to gain altitude.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

That would be one of the scenarios that I'd consider. That, or a delayed go around and didn't climb fast enough. They were pretty close to max payload for troops on board, so were probably relatively heavy.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

damn, that bird was like new. I think our newest one was built in the mid 70's. (POPE AFB)

H3s are like 90s

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Holy s%*# 50 people survived that wreckage! I am shocked...

They actually jumped out as the plane was going down.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: 1947boomer

That would be one of the scenarios that I'd consider. That, or a delayed go around and didn't climb fast enough. They were pretty close to max payload for troops on board, so were probably relatively heavy.

Not so sure, I'm not home to look at my 1-1, but 25,000lbs cargo is not too heavy. ZFW is about 80k, so 25k cargo and being in the PI I bet they would not need too much gas, 20k or so.

But half of the people jumped, so they had time to open doors/ramp and get out. The rest most likely didn't have parachutes, but 1/2 their cargo went out so weight was also reduced.

I really can't think of an emergency that would take them down and still give them plenty of time to jump.. Maybe 2 engines out on one side.

edit on 4-7-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer
Sounds like pilot error. My guess: came in too hot for the landing, delayed going to full power for the go around, probably experienced a departure stall trying to gain altitude.

I say no. C-130s have instant power unlike turbofans, so pretty hard to screw up like that. Also 50+ people jumped due to the emergency and that takes some time, so whatever it was they knew long before they hit. I'm thinking two engines out on one side. That is very hard to fly, so there could be pilot error if that was the case. At the C-130 schoolhouse we had a long time ago stop practicing simulated 2 eng out on one side due to even simulated with power pulled back on one side it is still dangerous, now do that for real, or have a a prop not feather and it gets real ugly real quick.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The Philippine Air Force is saying it was a runway overshoot, and they ended up in a quarry. The count currently stands at 42 on the aircraft, three on the ground, with 49 injured on the aircraft and one on the ground. There are currently five missing.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The Philippine Air Force is saying it was a runway overshoot, and they ended up in a quarry. The count currently stands at 42 on the aircraft, three on the ground, with 49 injured on the aircraft and one on the ground. There are currently five missing.

I wonder if they were doing a tactical landing on a short strip. Lol how did so many get out then.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Word is that it was a wet runway, and there had been storms in the area shortly before they landed.
edit on 7/4/2021 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Word is that it was a wet runway, and there had been storms in the area shortly before they landed.

I'm thinking they actually landed and then either crashed off the runway end or pulled up well below rotation speed. Typically on an assault landing you have plenty of time to get back in the air if need be, but once committed to be on the runway you are committed no matter what happens. So I'm assuming people didn't jump out as first suggested.

We also need to remember initial crashes does not mean a total burned aircraft at first, so we saw pictures after it had crashed for a good while which then it is typical much of the aircraft would be burned up.

C-130s have massive stopping power with those props, so they almost don't need breaks....
edit on 4-7-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   
All personnel on the aircraft have been accounted for. The toll currently stands at 47 on the aircraft, and three on the ground, with 49 injured. Fifty of the personnel on board were from the 4th Infantry Division, a training unit. Many of the personnel on board were recent graduates. In addition to the 96 passengers, it's reported that there were five vehicles on board.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Video of them landing is on Facebook. Everything appears normal as they approach, until touch down. Very routine landing. The video then shows the far end of the runway, and the person shooting starts yelling, "They fell down" or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 6 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
According to investigators, the recorder was recovered. Survivors said that the aircraft touched down, and they bounced several times. As they were bouncing, the aircraft swerved side to side. The pilot increased power to try to go around, but the right wing hit a tree. No one jumped from the aircraft before the crash. The fuselage was cut open in the crash, and survivors jumped from the wreckage. Many of the ones that died were unconscious after the impact and were unable to escape before the fire.

Two more survivors succumbed to their injuries, bringing the total to 52. They said the aircraft was in good condition, and had 11,000 hours before its next scheduled heavy maintenance period.

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

According to investigators, the recorder was recovered. Survivors said that the aircraft touched down, and they bounced several times. As they were bouncing, the aircraft swerved side to side. The pilot increased power to try to go around, but the right wing hit a tree. No one jumped from the aircraft before the crash. The fuselage was cut open in the crash, and survivors jumped from the wreckage. Many of the ones that died were unconscious after the impact and were unable to escape before the fire.

that does not at all match with the video of the crash. the aircraft wheels pretty much just touch the runway, and the pilot immediately takes off again. then flying for a few seconds, looking like starting to turn for a go around, but doesn't gain enough altitude and sinks into the trees. almost instant fireball.

i did not see any "bouncing" at all. just the one touch of the wheels on the runway. nor any visible side to side movement at all. in fact it looked rather like a quick touch and go. and in fact looked like a perfect landing until the pilot took off again. although you really couldn't tell how far down the runway they were in the video. so he could have been too far down the runway.

black box recovered and apparently on route to the US.

a bit personal for me. since one of the dead/missing my father knew his father, and him when he was a kid, and close childhood friend of some close friends. survived by a wife and baby.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join