It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dude! Those are Just Things!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was challenged recently to explore the definition of God. www.abovetopsecret.com...
This was after I had posted a video in which Carl Sagan had said:

When you say, "Do you believe in God?" If I say yes, or if I say no, you have learned absolutely nothing.
But why would we use a word so ambiguous, that means so many different things?
It gives you freedom to seem to agree with someone else with whom you do not agree. It covers over differences. It makes for social lubrication, but it is not an aid to truth in my view. And therefore I think we need much sharper language when we ask these questions.
www.youtube.com... 4:10

So what are the gods actually?
They are those without whom I would not be alive and aware.
They include Earth, Sky, Sun, Ocean, Plants, Animals, Parents, and their Parents, and etcetera.
They are the necessary being, without whom I would not exist.

Some are ancient and very long lasting, like Earth. Some, not so much, like the cheese I ate yesterday.

Anyway, I was reading the Wikipedia about Taoism, which is pretty cool. I've got a copy of Tao Te Ching in my bathroom. It makes a good reader in the reading alcove. I'm currently on my third reading.

So the Wikipedia had a link to Dudeism .

Dudeism is a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle inspired by "The Dude", the protagonist of the Coen Brothers' 1998 film The Big Lebowski. Dudeism's stated primary objective is to promote a modern form of Chinese Taoism, outlined in Tao Te Ching by Laozi (6th century BCE), blended with concepts from the Ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus (341–270 BCE), and presented in a style as personified by the character of Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, a fictional character portrayed by Jeff Bridges in the film

I saw that movie once! Even though I may not be a bowler, I like the idea of blending Taoism with Epicureanism.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

You got it, brother or sister. This works.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Carl Sagan would have made a wonderful Buddhist with that incredible mind of his. Yes, if the God that is defined by all the iffyness within our minds doesn't exist then how can the truth be found??? Fortunately, the eye of the mind is not the only eye God gave us. The second eye being incredibly subtle cannot be heard above the roar of the mind. Truth can only be found in the silence (of mind).

“But where is this true possession of God, whereby we really possess him, to be found? This real possession of God is to be found in the heart, in an inner motion of the spirit towards him and striving for him, and not just in thinking about him always and in the same way. For that would be beyond the capacity of our nature and would be very difficult to achieve and would not even be the best thing to do. We should not content ourselves with the God of thoughts for, when the thoughts come to an end, so too shall God. Rather, we should have a living God who is beyond the thoughts of all people and all creatures. That kind of God will not leave us, unless we ourselves choose to turn away from him.”
― Meister Eckhart

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Thank you.

Now I'm fearful that anything I may write later will be a detracting subtraction.

Oh well, anything else I write is like just my opinion man.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   
you had to make a scene didnt you.

you'll come back.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

you had to make a scene didnt you.

I don't know. I felt like it.

you'll come back.

To this thread? Well, here I am, as the Dudeists would say, "abiding".

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I'm fairly sure that Carl Sagan was aware of the existence of Buddhism. He probably could have become a Buddhist if he wanted to.

So he did the Bar Mitzva thing at age 13. His parents were Reform Jews.

Now my First Wife's Third Husband was a Jew (Reform, I think). He was a Dudeist long before Dudeism was a thing cooked up by some dude in Thailand. In fact, he's the Dude who talked me into watching The Big Lebowski with him in the first place.

There's more I could say but it probably isn't anyone's business.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

If you were gonna start a new religion : what might you call it, and what would be some of the tenets ?

For me : it would be mostly about nothing, except the orgies of course.

Good to see you back posting.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

If you were gonna start a new religion : what might you call it, and what would be some of the tenets ?

Dudeism™ has already been taken. The crazy thing about their website is that page 1 is an invitation to get ordained as a Dudeist Priest! Before learning anything about it. That's kind of off-putting to me.

I don't think that I am laid back enough to qualify for Dudeism™.

As for starting a religion with tenets; Let's just say that every time I set tenets, I judge myself on the tenets and kick myself out. So that's sort of a non-starter.

For me : it would be mostly about nothing, except the orgies of course.

What kind of orgies would that be?

Epicurus taught asceticism and separation from females to drop passions down a few notches, because passions cloud the higher faculties of philosophizing.

After 25 years of celibacy (scandalous, I know), I'm finally old enough and ugly enough to get away with it. No more guilt trips over the poor deprived women crying themselves to sleep.

I do have a bottle of cheap Canadian whiskey that my son gave me for Father's Day. I may get around to opening it sometime.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What kind of orgies would that be?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to remain open-minded about, you know, the different possibilities of religious ceremonial orgies.

Would probably need to try-out multiple formulas, multiple times.
It wouldn't be easy, but faith and dedication were never thought-of as easy by anyone whom may have tried.

Just those sacrifices alone, should help convince any doubters that we're not just in it for the partying, or the tax-deductions.

The tenets could be something, you know, like not too harsh.
That's part of the perks of making stuff-up.
Like : ice-cream Wednesdays, and optional-pants Saturdays.

Talk-like-a-pirate every third Third day with a 'U' in it, might keep the flock on their toes.

Fake lotteries where most of the money is kept, could also be considered, beyond the regular donations.
Private jets are expensive !!!

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I'm trying to be easy going about rituals and heavy on the substance.

I had this friend in High School who was taking a class in Humanities. One day Bret said, "A Reformed Rabbi came and talked to the class and he said that it's all about Sanctification of the Mundane".

The phrase has kind of stuck with me. It's like whether you're working your ass off or kicking back, the space and time we live in is sacred. The question arises, is it sacred by nature or must we do something special to cause it to become sacred?

I lean more heavily on the first. Of course the second can be seen as a celebration of the first. That would be the place of ritual, if any.

As far as rules go, maybe "Don't eat broccoli, unless you really want to."

Talking like a pirate strikes me as not consistent with keeping it real. It's like LARPing. Well, unless you are a pirate, in which case you already talk like a pirate.

This video strikes me as a straining at LARPing.

Must we wear bath robes? Must we wear sunglasses? Must we drink White Russians? It's like saying, "Hey, look at me. I'm a Dude!"

I mean "Dude! Where's your beard?"
edit on 3-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Fake lotteries where most of the money is kept, could also be considered, beyond the regular donations.
Private jets are expensive !!!

Sorry that it took me so long to come up with a decent name for a money making cult. But I've got it now.

Back in the old days there was a Jewish sect known as the Ebionites™. The name literally means The Poor™. Think of all the advice from people like Jesus saying "Sell all that you have and give to The Poor™"

So I've hit on a name: A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™ (AVWAFACO)™

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   

You have been working hard, and doing some serious thinking !

Are you sure AVWAFACO™ isn't already taken ?

Austrian Violinists With Amazingly Fast And Cohesive Overtures ?

Association-of Vociferous Wankers-and Alternative Freemales Artistic Council-of Oceania ?

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Are you sure AVWAFACO™ isn't already taken ?

It's just in the thought stage. I haven't actually done any of the legal paper work or anything like that.

But I had my research dept. do a check. They say that a quick search didn't come up with any legal entity holding that acronym as of yet. My legal dept. should press the research dept. a bit harder.

Unfortunately the whole organization from CEO right down to the ash tray boy is testing out Dudeism as a way of life. I don't think we're going to make much progress.

but

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   
A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™

Have you ever looked at your finances and said, "Holy Cow! I've got way more money than I could ever use!!"

We are here to help.

Before you buy more holy cows, consider finding some other way to unburden yourself of all that superfluous wealth which torments you day and night. Find A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™ to donate to.

If, for some unforeseen legal technicality, A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™ is unavailable to help you in your time of crisis, generic versions may be able to help as a temporary stop-gap measure.

The Fine Print
Legal Department reminds you that the wording "Fully Accredited" is part of the name (A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™), not a claim, explicit, or implied, that we are in fact accredited by any accredited accreditation authority.

edit on 15-7-2021 by pthena because: legal stuff

edit on 15-7-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Always enjoy reading your posts, thanks.
You might be on-to something here, and want to be as much help as possible.
Perhaps it will bring you to consider including me in your great plans.
Maybe you could even make me a profit !
Oops : meant Prophet™.

Your proposed name sounds good, to me. But am not a successful businessman, or anything.

" A Very Worthy And Fully Accredited Charitable Organization™ "
AVWAFACO™ !!

Went for a nice walk down by the back-river today, and was getting a bit tired walking home.
Forgot to stop on the usual benches, then while walking by a big Church™, noticed that the doors were open.
Have always thought that open-doors on a Church™, meant : " Come-in ! You are welcome here. "

So : went on in, with the intention of just sitting and resting for a bit.
There was a service going-on. It appeared to be some Christian™ Arabs type of group, according to what they were showing on two big screens up near the front.
Just after sitting-down, the screens flashed an indication for everybody to stand-up.

Well : they all stood-up, so didn't want to be disrespectful, so stood-up, despite just wanting to sit-down.
At least the Buddhists are not into suffering.

Saw some older folks still sitting, so figured that when/if, they let me sit again, won't stand the next time the screens exhort me to.
After sitting for a while, and not being self-conscious anymore, started drifting-off in thought.

Thought of this thread and you.
Figured it might be like a research mission, and could hopefully get some juicy info for ya.

The hymns were really nice, and the singing voices were sweet.
Then noticed that nobody was really singing, but it must have been recordings.

You could save a lot on expenses like that.
During the crucial start-up phase, before the donations start pouring-in, ya know ?

Just get a cheap used tape deck, and play some freely obtained chants and stuff on there.
That way : you could save on not having to hire a choir and organist.

Lots of folks love singing Kumbaya, and campfire songs.
Oohhhh : maybe a little campfire in the middle would warm-up the flock ?
Everybody loves campfires !!

edit on 18-7-2021 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

That way : you could save on not having to hire a choir and organist.

That's right, organists aren't free.
The last time I was in a church was for a funeral. Afterwards my sister came over to me and asked if I could pitch in for the organist, so I gave her a C note, "Is that enough?"

She looked at it for a bit and said "Maybe. I'll go see." She didn't come back for more so I guess it was enough.

====
Speaking of stopping into a Church:

This one time I was hitchhiking out of this town that I'd lived in for a couple of years. It just happened to be on a Sunday morning and there was this Church there and the sign outside said "Everyone is welcome". So I went in and the first song was:

I did know one of the ladies there, it turned out.
It was a Unity Church, local branch I guess. I just now looked it up:
Their main place is described:

Located on a beautiful 1,200-acre campus in Missouri called Unity Village, which includes fountains, a rose garden, wooded trails, a hotel, golf course, bookstore, and offices for 300 employees.
unity.org: what-we-do

That looks like something pretty hard to beat. Not that we encourage competition, it's just...

It's just I look around and there are so many organizations already, like does the World need another one? I could just not start anything and no one would notice the absence, like "Hey, have you noticed that an organization that could have been is not?"

I bet that hardly ever happens.

Okay. Campfires. In safe locations. Nobody wants to be known as The Short Lived Church of Carbon Monoxide™

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Personally prefer fictional organizations, to supposed 'real' ones.
It's not even close, really.

You can do anything you want with a theoretical institution.
Not so much with the ones that seemingly serious folks take seriously.

Apparently Jesus was not such a big fan of the Dude :

top topics

join