It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Fully Vaccinated People Died of Covid-19 in Most-Vaccinated Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Story Here

The coronavirus has killed six fully vaccinated people in the Seychelles, which is suffering heightened Covid-19 infections despite inoculating a greater proportion of its people than any other nation.

Of those, five had taken Covishield, a version of the AstraZeneca Plc vaccine made in India, and one had been given Sinopharm, Jude Gedeon, the island nation’s public health commissioner said at a press conference on Thursday. Covishield has mainly been reserved for people over 60 in the Seychelles. All of those who died had serious underlying conditions, he said.

First off, Seychelles is an island nation off the Eastern coast of Africa.

The population of the island is around 98,000 people. I also found it interesting that Seychelles has the highest GDP/capita of an African nation, and by many measures, it is a prosperous, albeit tiny, country.

As for their most recent virus wave, reportedly it began in May of this year. The rise in cases since that time has been attributed to the arrival of the Delta/Indian COVID strain.

A few thing popped into my head from reading this, beyond the obvious deduction that vaccines are not an impenetrable force field against the virus, as some seem to believe that's how they work.

This is an interesting case study as it pertains to the notion of "herd immunity" and the idea that, once a population achieves a threshold of the population vaccinated, that transmission of the virus should drop significantly. Simply put, this has not proven true here.

NOW, bold letters, a few disclaimers. Thisi IS a tropical island nation, with a large portion of its economy based on tourism. It could easily be the case that tourists brought COVID with them to the island, unless some of the full-time residents happened to travel and bring it back home. Contact tracing should help clarify which of these turn out to be the more likely explanation. However, despite the likelihood that the virus was brought by travelers, the fact that such a large % of the residents being vaccinated SHOULD have prevented a surge in cases, if one subscribes to the idea that vaccinated individuals comprise a chunk of the population that shouldn't contribute to spreading COVID. Contact tracing ought to shed light on that as well.

Also, as many of us have said from the beginning, with a virus that demonstrates a propensity for rapid mutation, like influenza, vaccines were never going to completely shut this pathogen down. The Delta variant seems to have driven this point home.

As far as the lethality of the Delta variant with respect to vaccinated vs un-vaccinated, it would be an interesting case study in this country. There is, in my view, insufficient data mentioned in the piece to draw a conclusion one way or another. Perhaps the health officials in the Seychelles haven't worked that out themselves at this stage of the game.

The article did mention a breakdown of the fatalities, in terms of who was vaccianted with what. 5 of the deaths occurred with AstraZeneca Plc, and 1 death occurred with the Sinopharm vaccine. To me, this seems way too small of a body of numbers to draw any conclusions about performance of either one.

I will say I chuckled with the caveat "All of those who died had serious underlying conditions" thrown in, almost as an aside. We went through the majority of 2020 with controversy of who was counted as a "COVID death" and how various comorbidities and circumstances (e.g. accidents) impacted the casualty figures. It seems now that we are still bumping into this, however, the narrative seems to have shifted from underscoring the lethality of COVID by including questionable deaths, to protecting the reputation of the vaccine by chipping away at deadly breakthrough cases by adding in the "underlying conditions" disclaimer. In a better world, early on in the pandemic, stringent and hard and fast rules about how and whether or not to count a fatality as a "COVID death" would've been established, widely adopted and would still be around to help with evaluating breakthrough cases. This seems to have never been done, and has contributed to widespread mistrust and skepticism about "official" death tolls, either with or without the vaccine.

From the article, I gather that all of the data analysis, demographic research and contact tracing is in its early stages. It will be fascinating to revisit this if/when there is more information contributed by the health officials in Seychelles to fill in some of the gaps about where the virus originated from in the May case surge, and most importantly the main spread vectors (inhabitants or tourists) in this instance.
edit on 2-7-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I see the ADE is kicking in.
Give it five minutes and the branch covidian vaccine zealots will be along to try and make themselves feel better.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There’s a pandemic?

When did this happen?

There is no use bothering yourself with these sorts of weak medical theories. There’s more proof of Bigfoot then some worldwide Gaytes/fauci viral pathogen.

A reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Delta variant is more likely to infect even while vaccinated, but the vaccine offers great protection from serious illness and death .. like a bullet proof vest, it doesnt mean you can't still be shot and killed, it just makes it much less likely.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
And of the 6 that died a couple of questions to ask.

What was their general condition? Did they die of the virus or did they just have the virus in their system at the moment of death? Serious underlying conditions covers a lot,

Also what steps were taken to keep them alive once it was realized they were sick? There's a big difference between nothing and aggressively going after it. Were they trying any alternative remedies? Vit. D, Ivermectin, anything else? Knowing what we know now about alternative treatments it should be considered malpractice at this point if not outright murder not to be trying them on confirmed infections. A 50,000 unit D2 pill is under a dollar. Ivermectin is a couple of bucks. There is no reason not to be using them.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Statistics on how many vaccinated vs non-vaccinated vs natural-immunity people are dying, are hard to come by.

Intentionally hidden?

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Statistics on how many vaccinated vs non-vaccinated vs natural-immunity people are dying, are hard to come by.

Intentionally hidden?

I saw good stats out of England for the delta variant.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Intentionally hidden?

Plenty of stats. You just don't like them.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Intentionally hidden?

Plenty of stats. You just don't like them.

Are these stats the raw data or the curated version?

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Delta variant is more likely to infect even while vaccinated, but the vaccine offers great protection from serious illness and death .. like a bullet proof vest, it doesnt mean you can't still be shot and killed, it just makes it much less likely.

what does the antibodies from those who have recovered do for the delta variant?
(I have no idea as discussing that aspect of this seems to be taboo.)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

what does the antibodies from those who have recovered do for the delta variant?
(I have no idea as discussing that aspect of this seems to be taboo.)

No idea, I would imagine it's similar to vaccination.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

almost seems as if that should be known.

new topics

top topics

join