It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copperhead Snake Found

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Not a pet. Not really. Was working the fence today and found a very sick or injured copperhead snake writhing in the dirt. I worked him into a nice dark shoe box, and can hear movement from time to time, but he is just not right. Very sluggish, makes erratic movements, no interest in a thawed mouse I borrowed from the neighbor who keeps a Hog Nose Snake. I called around to a few vets in the area, and nobody will see venomous snakes no matter what. Is there anything more I can do or best to just leave him be until he dies?

I have a soft spot for snakes, a very misunderstood species. Shame to see such a good pest controller go out that way

Just looking for a way to help the little guy, so any advice is appreciated

*It does not seem to be a fully grown adult snake from what I could tell
edit on 7/1/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

nobody will see venomous snakes no matter what

There is a reason for that.

My advice, make a nice belt out of it.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Not a pet. Not really. Was working the fence today and found a very sick or injured copperhead snake writhing in the dirt. I worked him into a nice dark shoe box, and can hear movement from time to time, but he is just not right. Very sluggish, makes erratic movements, no interest in a thawed mouse I borrowed from the neighbor who keeps a Hog Nose Snake. I called around to a few vets in the area, and nobody will see venomous snakes no matter what. Is there anything more I can do or best to just leave him be until he dies?

I have a soft spot for snakes, a very misunderstood species. Shame to see such a good pest controller go out that way

*It does not seem to be a fully grown adult snake from what I could tell

There's plenty of copperheads around so I find a way to humanely dispatch this one.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   

That's nice of you to try and help it. I agree that snakes are misunderstood.
I have no advice on how to care for it. Maybe it ingested something toxic? IDK, maybe that could explain its behavior.
Hopefully he's not too far gone, and can recover.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Is it maybe in the middle of molting? You said it looked juvenile. Snakes wiggle and become lethargic and don't eat when they molt. Just put it back and leave it be...
edit on 1/7/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I would check your area for wildlife rescue or rehab groups.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Nice..they are all over at my house.
Their bite is about as bad as a wasp.
Not too venomous.
Sounds like it's shedding it's skin.
Cool
Added..they absolutely reek though. Weird musky smell.

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Have you tried offering the snake water (could well be dehydrated)?

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Shotgun blast to the head.

I mean, once he gets back to health, and he bites your ass: well, you know the parable.

edit on 1-7-2021 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrable
I would check your area for wildlife rescue or rehab groups.

Yeah, that's the ticket for this. Wildlife rescue places will have the resources and experts available to deal with this the best.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Find a hungry king snake and introduce them.A happy king and a good copperhead,what could be more natural?

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Great idea! I did put a dish full of water, and last I checked the snake had actually crawled into the dish and curled up inside it. I am not sure if this is normal but from Googling it seems it is not too concerning, I think you all are right about the rescue groups, that is a heck of a good plan

We had all kinds of flooding and storms yesterday, and I think this washed him out of wherever he was nesting. I have a lot of fallen boards, tin and other stuff snakes just love to nest under. I do think he is responding a little better now, can't really tell if he is drinking the water but is definitely making good use of it
And at least he moved

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Snakes can absorb water through their skin, so it laying in the water is a great sign.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
I was considering myself.
Good point!
Also if it does molt, OP will have a novelty snake skin they could varnish.

edit on 1-7-2021 by GuitaristRob because: more words

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

The ones that really worry me are the Canebrake rattlers. None of them are really aggressive or anything like that, and I have only ever seen one or two up these ways because of how secretive they are. But they are here nevertheless.

Living out in the sticks you come to terms with them pretty quick, and snakes are just a part of it. Hey it could be worse. If the wife found out I am "harboring" a snake anywhere near the house I would be sleeping on the couch for a week. If my girls were still young or we had little kids around, it would be a different story, I don't think Id kill them but probably would try to take them further out into the woods. They really do good keeping the rodent population under control

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Snakes can absorb water through their skin, so it laying in the water is a great sign.

Thanks for that!
Very good news

What an interesting creature. I hate to keep looking in on it, I know the last thing it wants is to see some looky loo staring at it

If I'm not mistaken they are able to sense heat like a proper Rattler

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Is it maybe in the middle of molting? You said it looked juvenile. Snakes wiggle and become lethargic and don't eat when they molt. Just put it back and leave it be...

Thanks dug88! Interesting analysis, never even thought of it even though it should be common sense

Is there any way to tell besides the behavior? Or preferably without poking or prodding it? I have gloves that are bite resistent for cleaning up fallen trees

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I updated my post. If it is in molt you will be rewarded with a snakeskin shed that you can varnish and use as a conversation piece. It would be a reminder of the good deeds you are trying to do for this creature.
Too cool huh?

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Nice..they are all over at my house.
Their bite is about as bad as a wasp.
Not too venomous.
Sounds like it's shedding it's skin.
Cool
Added..they absolutely reek though. Weird musky smell.

The reason that a bite from a copperhead doesn't kill one , and isn't "bad" ?
They are born with all the venom they will have for life .
They don't want to waste it when not hunting.
Upset one though ?
Game over man .....

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You don’t need animal rescue.

You need crazy snake dude.

Call a pet store that sells snakes.

Your looking for someone who handles “hot” snakes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join