It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan State University Professor Says English Language Is Racist...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
An associate professor of language, literacy and English at Michigan State has made the following assertions...

teachers utilizing standard English works to “maintain racist assumptions about ‘Black language...

...Such behavior, or “anti-Blackness,” “is used to diminish black language of Black students in classrooms [and] is not separate from the rampant and deliberate anti-black racism and violence inflicted upon black people in society...

Teacher attitudes...include assumptions that Black students are somehow linguistically, morally, and intellectually inferior because they communicate in Black language

Another English professor at the University of Pennsylvania says that she is "dedicated to “undoing Whiteness” in her students’ writing." Adding that...

The repeated references to ‘correct grammar’ and ‘standard language’ reinforce master narratives of English only as White and monolingualism and a deficit view of multilingualism

So let me see if I understand this line of thinking. Everyone who comes into this, or any other country for that matter, learns the common language so they can function within and navigate that society, but it's racist to ask someone BORN in said society to learn the proper speaking and writing of their native language. In this case American-English.

But wait, there's more from this museum symposium...

“whiteness” and white culture were defined by things like a belief in rugged individualism, self-reliance, the scientific method, the nuclear family, hard work, punctuality, respect for authority, and delayed gratification.

AND..."the rules of the King's English".
But...doesn't that beg the question, what defines black culture?

Last but certainly not least is a push by these "professors" for interpreters to translate English into other "forms" of English so black students can navigate the classroom, and by extension society. There's diversity and there's multi-culturalism. One works. The other never has.

As always, read the article for yourself.

edit on 6/30/2021 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Have they assigned the "Whiteness Level" rating yet ? 🚬😃

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes, if you are well learned and spoken in your native tongue, hide it.

Pretend you're stupid and only want to half ass everything.

You'll fit right in...

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Why worry? When they get out in the job world and run into someone like me on an interview while using words like 'dem', 'deese', 'mines' and 'axe' they'll have a great time.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

“Axe” has to be my biggest grammatical pet peeve EVER.

People who say that have figuratively taken an “axe” to grammar.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Yous is right.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

. . . “whiteness” and white culture were defined by things like a belief in rugged individualism, self-reliance, the scientific method, the nuclear family, hard work, punctuality, respect for authority, and delayed gratification."

. . . wait, what?

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow. There’s a lot to unpack there.
I’m out of the academic loop these days, so I’d be curious where this lands on the spectrum.

In my day, the big push was to use politically correct language where race, gender, ethnicity, etc. are concerned. I can still remember a few of us arguing with a prof about taking that notion to the extreme, but we got the point.

Language will always be changing & evolving, and words that were once acceptable will fall out of favor for various reasons.

But the idea that English should be translated into other “forms” strikes me as highly problematic.
Slang won’t go away, and that’s fine. But do we really need translators and translations? My vote is no.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Why worry? When they get out in the job world and run into someone like me on an interview while using words like 'dem', 'deese', 'mines' and 'axe' they'll have a great time.

'Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive."

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
. . . “whiteness” and white culture were defined by things like a belief in rugged individualism, self-reliance, the scientific method, the nuclear family, hard work, punctuality, respect for authority, and delayed gratification."

. . . wait, what?

Shut up, honky.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
'Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive."

My brother and I can do that entire scene.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It will never end.

Words are not racist. Language is not racist.

Most people are not racist. (Even those who do speak in ways that others consider to be racist)

Most racism resides within the mind of the interpreter.

People continue pretending that they want to reduce racism, while at the same time they are creating more and more things that they claim to be racist, and they want all others to agree with their opinion that these things are racist.

It's just so backwards. If you have to methodically explain to people why something is racist, then guess what: IT'S NOT. (or at least it wasn't until you made it so)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   

My dear fellow. I must apologise as I've gone and misunderstood the intended meaning in your post.
Would you be a good chap and elucidate further for my benefit?

Perhaps you could do it in a Rap?

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I'm so glad I don't have to interview, hire, and fire any more.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So let's further injure minority children by ensuring they will not fare as well in a professional context. Liberals are such diabolical racist geniuses.

Oh, and hey, "Whitey", don't bother saying anything, because anything you utter is inherently racist due to your grammar.

Amazing these people are not driven out of town.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Snow is racist, too. And Cumulus clouds. They also cause climate change. My personal pronoun is duh.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Of course, teaching grammar is racist.
Teaching math is racist.

When will reading become racist?
Then kids no longer need to go to school or they will become little racists.

Or in US schools will it become mandatory to teach kids how to speak and what to think about social issues and to love and worship liberal ideology.

So many things are racist that when I meet a new black person, I become hesitant and worried they will hate me on sight because they are now informed by the government and media that I am an inherent inborn systemic racist because my skin isn't dark enough. Even though my family is interracial, my skin isn't dark enough to qualify as a person of color for modern Anti-racists/Critical Race Theory /and the speech and thought police.

I smile nicely and am super nice to people of color I meet or pass in public, just hoping they don't hate me on sight or fantasize about killing me for the color of my skin, and extricate myself as quickly as is polite.

www.msn.com... (Biden administration pushes Critical Race Theory)

www.nytimes.com... (Yale Psychiatrist lectures students on how she fantasizes about killing white people)

edit on 6/30/21 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

On the plus side, I've always wanted to get away with talking like Ike Willis
does as the narrator on Thing-Fish!

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I hears yah. It be a pain.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It could be rather entertaining to read Shakespeare in such a form…
edit on 30-6-2021 by Gandalf77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join