It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forcing shame for Canada day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The speed at which the general population has more or less turned on the idea of the nation of “Canada” it’s principals and founding ideals is to be literally insane. Canada like literally every country on the planet has a speckled past and and the residential school system is no different. My wife’s living grand father attended one( he is Métis half French and native) and according to him it was actually a nice facility that gave him and the other kids attending a far better education then they ever could have achieved at the time and he gets attacked for saying that publicly. The conditions at the school he attended where better in many ways to the conditions at home.

This is just a primer because in Canada it’s generally accepted that every residential school was torture rape priest prison and every child who attended was abused to such a degree even their descends 4 generations down the line are damaged as a result. Granted extreme atrocity’s did happen absolutely and it’s extremely tragic that kids where wretch from their homes to suffer under such circumstances but the current media and population are acting like every ancient body discovered on every church site or school site or undiscovered cemetery is only there as a direct result of systematic racism and abuse and now we as present day Canadians are supposed to be so outraged we hate Canada now. They want to cancel Canada day and want everyone to wear orange instead of the red/white and anyone with flags,red/white or even holding a celebration for the country is being shamed and attacked for it. A local man who runs a firework show every Canada day has been bullied into not holding it. It’s disgusting to me how quickly people have abandoned their country and the pride we have as Canadians.

Why is it in the western world we are no longer aloud to be proud and patriotic of our country less we face shame and ridicule. Why is this the case in USA,UK,Canada,France.
www.google.ca...
Why must I hate my country because there was a bad priest in Saskatchewan 100 years ago?

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Uh, so you dont get to have a country to be proud of?

In the US< we don't either.

Why should you be different?

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You don't know the answer?

Some of us do.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I don't know. I think it's okay to take a beat and say, "Wow. This is kind of a f××ked up way to celebrate the fact that a bunch of people came here and took over an entire land mass while killing 95% of it's inhabitants via genocide and the spreading of diseases."

I don't know. I still love Canada, but I think on an intelligence level we've mostly evolved past the point where we can't see both sides.

As a relatively new country, we don't really have that big distance from all of the violence that occurred to secure the land we live on. And there are no real noble tales about hard won conquest or escaping oppresion like other countries have, even the U.S has more of a "Screw you British Overlords!" theme to their independence day.

So, I do see where Indigenous people, and whoever else feels this way, are coming from, especially this year, when they're saying... is this appropriate?

You can still celebrate any way you see fit and ignore what people are saying. Its not really your guilt to bear at this point, but that doesn't change the fact that Indigenous people feel the way do.

I don't see why anyone can't still have pride in Canada and being a Canadian, but I can see the discussion and themes around Canada Day changing in the next generation.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Screw 'em.

Be proud of your country, it's colours, your flag, your anthem.

It's the height of authoritarianism when someone else gets to tell you want you can and can't be proud of.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I just want some one to say it. Say it.

a reply to: Lazarus Short

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I will be. It’s my Sons first Canada and he will be dressed as he should be off the event. I plan to go for a walk in full Canadian pride that day because I want to see and I want feel what people in real life will say and do to me. It’s all been fun and games up until this point with the problems being far away and irrelevant but now the pressure and stigma is at my door step and it’s coming for my beliefs so it’s time to test the water.

a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
You make it sound like people migrating land masses and killing is something new or unique found in Canada’s past except that is the norm for the entirety of human existence even today. Even natives killed raped and took slaves. The only difference is the natives didn’t have a writen word so they didn’t have records of what they did like Europeans.

Natives where just as good if not better at killing each other then western where to suggest a peaceful existence of plenty pre colonial immigration is just wrong.The exchange of disease also went both ways and is nothing new. You know the story about the small pox blankets is fake right?

a reply to: Atsbhct

edit on 29-6-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I didn't mention smallpox blankets.

I'm saying that killing and war is how the world what occupied, but it's newer in our history. We're at a point in history where it's safe for us to say, "Woah, what a messed up thing that happened for us to get here and take over the country."

There's no harm in reflecting on the past and acknowledging what wasn't great about it. And I personally think it's okay for us to celebrate what's great about Canada.

I also think it's valid for Indigenous people to be really angry about everything that's coming to light right now and protest.

It's a situation where both sides are really easy to see, and I don't think the media really needs to step in and rile people up, because at the end of the day, no one is stopping you from celebrating except maybe Covid restrictions and the heat wave.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Don't you feel guilty for the bad deeds that others committed that you had absolutely nothing to do with?

Yeah...

Me either.

I'm about 99% sure that my family owned slaves.
I feel no guilt about that fact.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

We the people of Canada are in no way responsible for what happened in those places around the country...Unless you were there and did nothing and or supported it knowingly..... It happened on this "continent" in the past, and things far worse happened to the indigenous people of this land

Its the same old story for the religious institutions of the world...

Mass genocide for anyone who doesn't comply

Be Proud of your country Canada!

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Aboriginals are a part of Canadian history, we just don't know their stories very well and should really start listening to them instead of sticking our fingers in our ears and acting so defensively.

I think every elected official in Canada should be able to speak english, french and at least one aboriginal language. We need to stop denying the full history of the land we live on and try to move forward together.

The Canadian flag was adopted in 1965, "oh Canada" has only officially been the anthem since 1980. Our national identity is still being developed so we should try to make it a good one, one that reflects all of us.

I worked for a native guy years ago who told very different story than the one in the OP.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
You make it sound like people migrating land masses and killing is something new or unique found in Canada’s past except that is the norm for the entirety of human existence even today.

I've taught my child... "Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean you should too." or was it "Two wrongs don't make a right"...

You know the story about the small pox blankets is fake right?

You know the story about 1000's of KIDS recently found buried in the backyard of "schools" is true tho right?

They are literally finding them all over the country now...
edit on 29-6-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I can't help but be reminded of what Byron MacGregor broadcast (he didn't write it) on CKLW as part of his 20-20 news break. Remember this was in 1973 back when it meant something.

Feel free to substitute Canada and America in this clip.

We've all lost our countries in my opinion.

Canadians, we're here for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam
I can't help but be reminded of what Byron MacGregor broadcast (he didn't write it) on CKLW as part of his 20-20 news break. Remember this was in 1973 back when it meant something.

Feel free to substitute Canada and America in this clip.

We've all lost our countries in my opinion.

Canadians, we're here for you.

OMG... That's my local radio station!

Sweet... CKL Double-U .....

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I'm feeling mighty punchy tonight, so I'm going to ask one completely out of left field and see where this rolls. Because I'm a bit of a sadist like that once in a while.

If you want to beat the Invaders-R-Evil dead horse, can we start with when we left Africa? Yeah, plenty of apologizing owed for the ensuing fallout over the ages from THAT fine move, people. Ask the Neanderthals, etc their opinions on t--- OH! Yeah, we wiped 'em out/interbred them out of circulation.

So how long DO you need to wait before it's just a joke punchline like above? 100 years? 1,000? 10,000?

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

DB is right. Those are the people that want to trade in the maple leaf for poison ivy.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Where was I beating the dead horse? You seem upset. I'm not. I said I understand why Indigenous people, and anyone, would be upset about what's going on in Canada right now, and I get why they're still upset that their very recent ancestors were corralled into reservations.

It's just an undeniably shi**y thing. Why pretend like it isn't awful.

Who gets to decide when someone has to stop being mad that a government looked the other way as someone murdered their Aunt or Uncle, or their sister? Or that a government sanctioned the murder of their great grandparent?

Indigenous people have the right to protest whatever mistreatments they want, just like anyone else.

And I didn't say anything about apologizing. I said, "It's not really your guilt to bear at this point."

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 08:06 PM
link   

There is still a part of me, that is the little boy in Love with the 'idea' of Canada™.

But then there is much more, after figuring some things-out, then some other things, then some other things...

Just got to the point where buying into the concept of Canada™ that they are selling, doesn't reflect the way it is.

So my view is to encourage everyone wanting to celebrate their ideas of Canada™, and tempering my own to reflect my own perceptions.

The vast majority of my immigrant friends and neighbors, think Canada™ is the cat's meow.

Politicians ruin everything they touch.
The Catholic™ church did some good, but can never live-down being a safe-harbor, protecting pedos.

But we are owned and operated.
We seem to be some kind of proving-ground, for the NWO™ and the Technocratic™ agenda.
The land we supposedly 'stole' from the First-Nations-Peoples™ : is not really ours at all.

Oh Canada Movie - Our Bought And Sold Out Land.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Screw 'em.

Be proud of your country, it's colours, your flag, your anthem.

It's the height of authoritarianism when someone else gets to tell you want you can and can't be proud of.

I agree with you DB.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join