It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jalen Rose Misfires On 'Tokenism' Remark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

In his initial comments on the podcast, Rose said, "I’m excited about the roster and I assume, and I know, we’re going to win the gold. But I’m disappointed in something. As I do this show every day, I do it in front of a picture of Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising their fist at the Olympics. I also know the favoritism that Christian Laettner was shown when he got a chance to be put on the Dream Team ahead of Shaq and Alonzo (Mourning). But they made it so a college player could even get on and gave him favoritism.

"But this level of, and I got a word for it … Kevin Love is on the team because of tokenism. Don’t be scared to make an all-Black team representing the United States of America. I’m disappointed by that. Anybody that watched the league this year knows Kevin Love did not have a stellar season, was not the best player on his team and did not necessarily deserve to be on this squad. And I’m not going to take him off the squad and not put somebody else on it. I’m going to tell you whose spot that should be.

I have to be honest, I really don't give a rats ass about pro sports. Once it became a political entity, I tuned it out. it's suppose to be entertainment. If I want politics, I'll watch the news or come here. But after hearing about this incident, and thinking on it for a bit, I have to say I'm not against this at all. Sure what he said it wildly racist, and he likely hasn't a clue why that is, but at least everyone else will know who this guy is and what's in his head.

I had once wrote a thread thinking all racists should wear some sign announcing their intentions and they should be proud of what they are. that way we can all know long before the first words are spoken, that this person is a racist and concerns more about skin color than other factors. Good to know, and helps put things in context for future reference.

As for the audacity to have a white guy on a basketball team, I'll leave that to those who know the game, and the players.

But if you are a closet racist, come out. Don't hide. Be proud so we will all know who you truly are.
edit on 28-6-2021 by DrumsRfun because: The use of ALL CAPS

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   
A white man invented basketball. His statue is in front of the Basketball Hall of Fame which is regarded as the most INCLUSIVE sports museum in the world. They honor pros and amateurs on an international scale. It's not just about being the best of the best on just the court and this is what Jalen is missing.

Love became the first among NBA players to join the Hoops for St. Jude charity program benefitting the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, after working with the hospital as part of the league's "Rookie Relief" community outreach program in his first season in the league. He also has made other big contributions to humanity off the court, one being an advocate for fighting mental depression.

Love is a fine player but also an exceptional person. He is a real role model and belongs on the team.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Considering Love was placed on the Cavs because of the need to have a scapegoat to deflect criticism away from Lebron James when Lebron James' Cav team failed, I find Jalen Rose's comments to be asinine. Laetner was on the Dream Team because he was the best college player in the nation and had just lead Duke to their second straight NCAA championship... it was an attempt to remain some vestiges of USA Olympic team history by having at least one true amateur player on the team.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
In the comments to the Fox story, someone rightly said, 'Imagine if a white person had made the same remarks about a black player'.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I read somewhere that Kevin Love is only the 2nd white player since 1996 to make the US Olympic basketball team and I thought that was interesting.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Dude is still pissed the fab 5 lost 2 ncaa championships, one was to the dukies.
Too funny he still has a case of the red ass all these years later.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Loved the 92 Dream Team

So this is what they want.

Why does it have to be professional athletes? Give these chances to younger more appreciative players. The professionals are making millions. Give the kids a chance.

Oh well, wasn't planning on watching them anyway.

I'll watch a real sport! Sumo Wrestling
it's moving to watch

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I have to be honest, I really don't give a rats ass about pro sports. Once it became a political entity, I tuned it out. it's suppose to be entertainment. If I want politics, I'll watch the news or come here. But after hearing about this incident, and thinking on it for a bit, I have to say I'm not against this at all. Sure what he said it wildly racist, and he likely hasn't a clue why that is, but at least everyone else will know who this guy is and what's in his head.

I had once wrote a thread thinking all racists should wear some sign announcing their intentions and they should be proud of what they are. that way we can all know long before the first words are spoken, that this person is a racist and concerns more about skin color than other factors. Good to know, and helps put things in context for future reference.

As for the audacity to have a white guy on a basketball team, I'll leave that to those who know the game, and the players.

But if you are a closet racist, come out. Don't hide. Be proud so we will all know who you truly are.

So they said that there will be one college player, and here is why he was picked. If not him then who?????????

He was the star player on the back-to-back Duke National Championship teams of 1991 and 1992, and the NCAA player of the year in his senior year.[2] He is particularly famous for his game-winning shot against Kentucky in the 1992 tournament and for the hatred he received from opposing fans.

As for Kevin Love...If you look at the roster it isn't all stars, Draymond Green anyone? Anybody going to suggest that Green is better than Love...lol Here are some that turned down a spot as others did the same due to wanting to heal in the off season, or other reasons.

LeBron James, F, Los Angeles Lakers
Anthony Davis, F/C, Los Angeles Lakers
Stephen Curry, G, Golden State Warriors
Kyrie Irving, G, Brooklyn Nets
Jimmy Butler, G/F, Miami Heat
Donovan Mitchell, G, Utah Jazz
Chris Paul, G, Phoenix Suns

So there is a lot of racism in the OP's post but it has nothing to do with Whites...lol

edit on 28-6-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Considering Love was placed on the Cavs because of the need to have a scapegoat to deflect criticism away from Lebron James when Lebron James' Cav team failed, I find Jalen Rose's comments to be asinine. Laetner was on the Dream Team because he was the best college player in the nation and had just lead Duke to their second straight NCAA championship... it was an attempt to remain some vestiges of USA Olympic team history by having at least one true amateur player on the team.

The same Laettner who sank the shot that ended the heavily favored UNLV god team that rolled over the entire NCAA that year. At the buzzer while being mugged.

He led that win. He is a legend.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The same Laettner who sank the shot that ended the heavily favored UNLV god team that rolled over the entire NCAA that year. At the buzzer while being mugged.

He led that win. He is a legend.

Exactly, the problem with all of this is Rose is allowing professional stats amassed after the Dream Team had already won their gold medal to cloud his judgement and he's trying to defend that cloudy judgement by flinging ridiculous accusations of racism into the mix because right now accusations of racism are the great mediator that shields the accuser from being called a dumbass by the media. Look at 1998... Big Candy Olowokandi was taken #1 in the draft that year by the Clippers. That draft also saw Dirk Nowitzki taken by the Bucks for a trade with the Mavs. Per Rose's logic, racism obvious, disgusting, ugly racism drove the Clippers to avoid drafting the more talented big white man... except we have stat lines that tell the real story: Candy was Big West Player of the Year and Dirk was a gangly 7 foot tall kid from Germany who had never played collegiate ball but excelled against semi-pro Germans (who were probably less skilled than the majority of US collegiate players). Obviously the actual career stats after that draft say in hindsight, LA really should have taken Nowitzki and they'd have never regretted it one moment for doing so BUT at the time they drafted the more deserving and more likely to bring the team a title player... which is what the Dream Team did when they brought Laettner on board.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thanks for showing me a Care Bear that I can relate to.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I remember Rose as part of that Fab 5 Freshmen team at Michigan. He was really something else. Pure electric on the court. And a million dollar smile.

I use to love basketball so much. College hoops especially. I used to spend 2 weeks in March every year with my skin hurting from all the goosebumps i'd get watching teams with no chance make a run for the final 4. Did you know that your skin could hurt from that happening so much?

new topics

top topics

join