It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hemp conversion to graphene and diamond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I have had a little bit of an interest in Biochar for a while now, my mate steve has a biochar foodbank out at Kinneil estate in Boness Scotland, he makes biochar and uses it to increase his food crop yields but he also uses biochar was water remediation.

Id suggested to my mate to look into using Hemp as a feedstock for the biochar since hemp is carbon neutral crop, so Id sent the details to the professor a the Edinburgh university with who his project is linked with and they added hemp to the biochar register of useful feedstocks.

Then id stumbled on this video and was amazed at how much can be done with hemp and then using pyrolysis to process the biochar
but this next step is just genius
converting the biochar into industrial diamonds to recapture the carbon

brilliant idea

what do you all think

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If it wasn't for the THC hemp for all it's other uses would be a billion dollar industry. Rope, clothing, and could probably even be converted into fuel and plastics if necessary.

Only problem with the industrial diamonds is DeBeers. They defend their monopoly on diamonds and if they start making jewelry level diamonds they'll jump all over that like the oil companies jumped all over the 150 mpg carburetor.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
converting the biochar into industrial diamonds to recapture the carbon
If you convert biochar do diamonds, then the carbon in the diamonds is not in the atmosphere.

But what is not clear is the net carbon balance of the entire process.
If you release 2 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere in the process of capturing 1 ton worth of CO2 in the form of industrial diamonds, you haven't really reduced the CO2 problem, you've just added to it.

So I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying I don't know if it's a good or a bad idea because the analysis presented is not complete. These analyses can get very complicated. For example, he says at 3:38 the BECCS bioenergy and carbon capture method is disputed as a true carbon capture method, at least in its current form. There may be a rational basis for those disputes and a critical analysis of diamond production using the method he describes may or may not also lead to disputes about the true net benefits.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I have a pair of hemp britches.
They are now no particular shade of grey, but they are still holding up like a champ.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
I have a pair of hemp britches.
They are now no particular shade of grey, but they are still holding up like a champ.

I had a pair of Adidas Sambas made from hemp.

The rubber soles gave out long before the hemp did. After a couple years, there was a small hole in the hemp at the curve where the little toe connects to the foot.

They stopped making them as far as I can tell. Can't sell a quality shoe if it means the customer won't be buying another pair this year.

edit on 28-6-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

yeh im going to read more into again I spent a bout a few months reading up on various stuff about it
but never got really into the details pertaining to the carbon transfer
I was more reading up on the process of pyrolysis and and the increase in crop yields and water remediation.

I went to the UK biochar research centre UK Biochar Research Centre

they have been looking at hemp dust the waste product from hemp manufacturing

I found a research article here Effect of hydrothermically carbonised hemp dust PDF download

link to article on UK BRC

I think they are using the theory that hemp is a carbon neutral crop when grown or effectively a carbon negative crop
hemp the carbon sink

I guess just like anything it will need more research, it really does seem promising though
edit on 29-6-2021 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech

If it wasn't for the THC hemp for all it's other uses would be a billion dollar industry.

Hemp is already a multi-billion dollar industry, and THC levels are negligible.

Let's put it this way, if there was enough THC in hemp to get one caned, thereby increasing its value and general saleability, do you really believe that it would just be left outside to grow, unguarded?

Globenewswire

According to the recent research report; the global Industrial Hemp Market in 2019 was approximately USD 5 Billion. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 34% and is anticipated to reach around USD 36 Billion by 2026.

Rope, clothing, and could probably even be converted into fuel and plastics if necessary.

At this point it feels like you're trolling, either that, or you've been living under a rock, since, well, forever.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

If the marijuana laws of 1937 didn't pass could you imagine where hemp would be now? Hemp lost thousands of years of progress because of those laws and the conspiracy against it. As a crop it would be bigger than corn and wheat combined by now. And probably in just about everything manufactured presently.

5 Billion is chump change compared to what it could have been. Guess I should have said trillion in my previous post.

edit on 29-6-2021 by ntech because: spell checks

top topics

join