It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removing a Stripped Brake Line Flare Nut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for removing an old rusted, stripped flare nut on a brake line.

I have an old f150, the brake lines themselves are still in good shape, but the front right brake hose needs to be replaced. The flare nut on the brake line is stripped to hell. I've tried flare wrenches, vice grips, a ton of rust remover, I can't get it to budge. I'd really like to avoid cutting the brake lines if possible, but I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Anybody have any suggestions for such a situation?

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Maybe grab it tight with pliers and give the pliers a few taps with a hammer?

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A lot of times when you're in a position like this, using heat on the stuck part generally helps. But, on a brake line, I don't know. Maybe if you're careful, you can use a little heat directed right on the stuck flare nut.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The only thing I can think of doing is drilling it out or cutting it out.
Someone else might have a better answer.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Blow torch and some finess will expand the nut faster than everything else

If its a mixed metal connection your sol I once joined a brass and aluminum air hose connection together it never came apart
edit on 25-6-2021 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Brake fluid is extremely flammable!!!!!!
I dont recommend that, sometimes you just have to cut it, get a new fitting and flare it.

a reply to: markovian

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

Drill cut torch your going to get the risk of fire its part of working on cars

extremaly is subjective I can put a blowtorch out in brakefluid try that with gas much diferent results

Also why I keep a fire extinguisher hanging off the side of my toolbox

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thanks all. I think I'm just going to end up cutting it and reflaring the existing line and replacing a section of line. Seems like the best thing to do.

link   

Have you tried tightening the nut?

Sometimes you'll get a build up of rust and dirt in the direction you're turning, it can help to turn it both ways in an attempt to clear the thread, keep flushing with heaps of degreaser.

link   
Get a nut beaker. Break the nut and clean the thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hehe, ive had balls of flame torching brake lines i cut off just to save the fittings.
a reply to: markovian

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Have you tried a heat gun and wax?

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Spray it with wd40..wait a few minutes..then lock on vice grips as tight as you can get them and loosen it.

Has never failed for me. However, if it's completely rusted out you may end up ripping it right off. Then you'd have to tap it.

It shouldn't be that rusted though, you're in BC...

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Save your self a lot of heart ack and replace the break line and the hose. Even if you get the flair nut off, you must properly re-flare the line. If it’s not perfect, you either get a leak or total failure under driving conditions.
A new line is cheap by comparison.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Use a Dremel and cut it sideways and pry it off.

You're welcome

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove
Use a Dremel and cut it sideways and pry it off.

You're welcome

Exactly. Bravo.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Heating with a torch works well, and using a pair of knipex cobra grip pliers or equivalent. They grab very well, on even rounded nuts.

Careful with the heat, too much and you can blow the hose apart as the pressure increases, (had it happen to me several times) if your replacing the hose, cut the hose first, then heat away.

If you dont have an oxy acetylene torch set, and must use a propane torch, then get a bottle of MAP gas, it burns a bit hotter.

Ideally you want the fitting to start glowing red. Then cool it quick with cool water, then re heat, itll come out

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The front brake line on the older F150s is not that expensive and it isn't that hard to change. I had to change a couple of them on F150s in the past. I actually stock lots of different sizes of brake lines of common diameters and lots of fittings because I have changed quite a few over the years. I do brakejobs on our cars and my granddaughters cars yet, I kind of like doing those compared to some other mechanics jobs. I have a hoist too...but my sixty seven buick is sitting over it right now. Got two big commercial rolling jacks and all the air tools.

If I remember right, you will need an adapter to get to connect the standard line to the block..it is used on a quite a few kinds of cars and trucks. I don't like to have to go shopping in middle of a brake job. How is the disk brake bleeder on that, is it going to be a problem getting loose?

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Give it a nice whack with a hammer but not too much.

Sounds stupid yes, there is science behind it. The impact can loosen screws and nuts, like a reverse impact gun. Just a tappy tap-tap.

Removed... just replace it, these are your brakes

edit on 26.6.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Forget Ford and buy a GMC.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join