It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Technology For Convienence Can Become A Trap.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Technology has wooed us through its appeal to our desire to make life as easy possible.

After all, our time is so valuable that we must take advantage of any tool that is available that will give you a second or two of free time.

Unfortunately, anything made for good, can be used for something less than good.

I am not saying what is good or bad. I just want to make those who are not aware, as I wasn't, until I was educated on the job.

When having to attend a class on nonconsensual stalking, I was completely in the dark. I knew about Fit Bit, Find My Phone, and Air Tag, I just was not aware how some bad people were using them.

I am sharing to educate those that just did not know. I didn't.

For those that have thought they were being followed, gaslighted, stalked, maybe something not so mysterious is actually happening.

Recently had a class on this. Sharing one of the videos included.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Yeah...the world of cyberstalking's pretty #ed up. People get creative with that. There's whole websites devoted to abusing WhatsApp's terrible 'feature' where you're unable to appear offline and shows when you're typing. Basically, you type in the phone number of a person or persons you'd like to stalk and you'll get realtime information about when they're online, when they're actively typing. It's pretty #ed up...

Pretty much all family safety or child protection software is basically spyware that hides itself and provides keyloggers, screenshotting capability, remote screen access or control, constant location tracking etc. They can be installed quickly. All you need is a few minutes access to a device.

Anything that has information about you can be used against you period. Doesn't matter what the intentions of the thing are. As soon as someone is able to get information about you, it can be used against you.

Especially internet connected devices. Websites like shodan provide searchable databases of actively internet connected devices like security cameras, printers, all sorts of things. You'd be surprised how many people never change the default passwords...
edit on 25/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

The mere fact that it is being added to our curriculum, tells me it is a much bigger problem than most people realize.

I think if I had a child I would not have any internet access outside of the classroom, and maybe the library.

How much internet time does a child really need? I have friends that don't allow their children free unlimited internet privileges, and they seem to be bright, happy, and very social.

It just looks like there is no end to how much technology is taking over our lives. It is like a progressive addiction, one can't seem to get enough of. An addiction that can't be stopped even when we know continued use may, destroy or kill us.

Maybe the internet of things is really the end of all things, we once thought had real value.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The mere fact that it is being added to our curriculum, tells me it is a much bigger problem than most people realize.

It really should be. I'm really not sure what happened. When I was younger, people knew pretty well, don't post your real info on the internet, don't do things that let you get tracked. Then all of a sudden, it's like people forgot these basic rules. I don't even hear people use the term spyware any more. It used to be considered a bad thing when software or hardware collected data about you and sent them back to companies. Spyware was equivalent to viruses back in the day. Now literally everything is spyware.

How much internet time does a child really need? I have friends that don't allow their children free unlimited internet privileges, and they seem to be bright, happy, and very social.

I spent a lot of time on the internet when I was young, for better or for worse. I feel like in some ways I benefitted. But the internet was a different place back then. I wasn't on social media, I was on places like ATS, or learning things about music or programming or science or history or just about things in the world I couldn't experience.from home.

The internet itself is just a tool, the way it's used today though seems to be not overly healthy. The internet was supposed to help us all connect and exchange ideas and grow as a society. Instead corporations took it over and basically regressed everything.

Personally, I don't know if you can keep children.entirely away from the internet, but they sure as hell should be kept away from social media, internet usage should be left until a time when they can actually understand what it is and really, should be supervised and curated at least until they're older.

There's too much predatory manipulative bull# even sensible adults fall for let alone to be exposing children to the kind of # that exists on the internet. Everything wants your info, your pictures, your phone number, your location, everything about you. Kids don't understand why they shouldn't just provide those things freely.

Maybe the internet of things is really the end of all things, we once thought had real value

The 'Internet of Things' is marketing bull# speak that means

"We want to make money off literally every single piece of information about your life from the moment your dad's sperm enters your mom's egg, until even after you die."

Wouldn't be surprised if smart coffins become a thing...
edit on 25/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Excuse me while I rant about this for a minute as this hit close to home.
I didn't watch the video because I am VERY aware of what she is saying.

I already hit the trap part.
I still use cash, don't own a smartphone and refuse to give businesses my email address.
I can't even join a gym....company policy wants an email address and a phone number.

Its amazing how many things I can't do because of my choices.

I don't want to shop online, I like leaving the house and only use cash.
I don't mind taking my bills to the bank to pay them either.

When the weirdos keep telling me "its safe and easy"
I tell them that their assumptions that I am either scared or lazy are wrong.

The attitude seems to be that if I don't participate....COMPANY POLICY allows them to tell me to hit the bricks.

I thought I had a choice??
It turns out I don't, they want us all to be digital slaves.
Ask yourself....why is that?

If someone says because it is easier, there is nothing wrong with working a bit harder to keep people out of your lives.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I have run into some of those same problems. My job keeps placing crap on their Facebook page, then sending us email to go look at what is there and to participate. I don't have Facebook, and have no desire to use Facebook.

I had an analog phone for years and had no desire to have a "smart" phone. That changed when they made it necessary to have a smart phone for sharing information while on duty, and for sending documents and information in real time.

I am not saying that everything about technology or the internet is bad. I am saying that a lot of bad people are using it do do a lot of bad things. We just are not being as knowledgeable of how easily that is accomplished, when we are not aware or are careless. A lot of us are careless.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Technology has wooed us through its appeal to our desire to make life as easy possible.

After all, our time is so valuable that we must take advantage of any tool that is available that will give you a second or two of free time.

Unfortunately, anything made for good, can be used for something less than good.

I am not saying what is good or bad. I just want to make those who are not aware, as I wasn't, until I was educated on the job.

When having to attend a class on nonconsensual stalking, I was completely in the dark. I knew about Fit Bit, Find My Phone, and Air Tag, I just was not aware how some bad people were using them.

I am sharing to educate those that just did not know. I didn't.

For those that have thought they were being followed, gaslighted, stalked, maybe something not so mysterious is actually happening.

Recently had a class on this. Sharing one of the videos included.

All technology is a trap.

There are some niche areas where technology is genuinely beneficial, but for the most part, the technology we use on a daily basis came directly from the military industrial complex, and was designed in order to either kill someone or support the mission of killing someone.

Ask a progressive liberal what they are progressing towards, and they can't answer.

Ask them what needs to change in society, and they always want to reverse progress.

top topics

join