It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornell U. to explore the racist implications of black holes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Quite a stretch, but, umm, oo-kay.

Cornell University has introduced an astronomy course to explore the connection between the term black holes and “racial blackness”

I guess the term "white holes" should be up for discussion as well.

Gentle reminder: This isn't the mudpit.

Cheers
edit on 25-6-2021 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

.... the connection between the term black holes and “racial blackness”

It takes a racist mind to even think that there is some sort of relation between those 2 completely different things.

Non-racist people will never even consider the possibility of there being a connection.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Just another story in the insane systemic wokeness culture. The people who come up with this stuff are so far gone, so delusional, that it's a waste of time and energy to even engage them.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Some thoughts about this course.

+ Seems out of place as an astronomy course. As a course in social sciences, it would fit better.

+ Seems too narrow in focus. A social sciences course on the influences of racism (or, really, any outlooks conditioned by belonging to a given ethnicity) that looks at how objects/theories etc. are named in the sciences, would be broader and potentially of greater interest.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

It takes a racist mind to even think that there is some sort of relation between those 2 completely different things.

Non-racist people will never even consider the possibility of there being a connection.

This is the obvious, mind blowing stupidity of the culture of racial obsession. It doesn't matter the reason, if you have a focus to paint things with a racial brush, for whatever reason, are for your race, above others, and for race advantage, have viewpoints shaped by race, your race or others', you're just a damned racist, a narcissist and unbalanced. You're an ignorant child, not even able to see other people simply as other people, equal in creation, in God's eyes. It's a bore, to me, I long ago avoided, filled with senseless hatreds and strife. Go discuss it among yourselves, somewhere else, my decided attitude. I did become an adult, and do thank the Lord, mightily, for that!
edit on 25-6-2021 by Scrutinizing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

These are the same people who get offended by the white chess pieces getting to move first. The same people who want to have the song "White Christmas" banned. The same people who think mathematics is somehow racist.

edit on 25-6-2021 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Can Cornell U even call themselves a institution of higher learning after something like this?

In my opinion, the entire place should be bulldozed.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Some of these universities have more money than most small countries.

Have a ponder on that

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In our new and ever expanding clown world, it makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Can Cornell U even call themselves a institution of higher learning after something like this?

In my opinion, the entire place should be bulldozed.

Hmm. I'm tempted to agree, but something is nagging me. Way back in immediate post-dinosaur era when I went to an institution of higher learning, I seem to recall wondering about some of the courses that were on offer. Of course, the divisive political atmosphere of today is more intense than what was 'normal' back then, and so those courses would not have focused on issues of race. I would have to try to find an old course catalog to see if I am correctly recalling.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
They should have a course called “Let’s make stuff up to make dumb people mad”.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's such a twice-beaten, dead horse, all this racism crap, and it's the promotion of racism, by very wicked men, in fact. You have to stop thinking in terms of race and slapping it on billboards, cooking cauldrons of noxious racist stew, to plaster all over the headlines, morons, for it to ever go away. You think?

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: willzilla
They should have a course called “Let’s make stuff up to make dumb people mad”.

There you go!

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
In our new and ever expanding clown world, it makes perfect sense.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The class is under black studies look at the authors they will be discussing. The astronomy part is the professor will be using astronomy to discuss black issues. They arent saying black holes are racist what he does is use black holes as an analgy to explain race relations. see the books they are discussing like the one from Denise Ferreira da Silva are not about astronomy . Bottom line this is an astronomy teacher that thought it woud be fun to use astronomy as a way to teach race relations.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Black has been a color way longer than we have known about black holes. And for sure, I cannot see a connection between African Americans and a black hole. I sure hope that their research shows no association or I would be way more critical of what colleges are teaching our young.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Democrats are running a vote plantation, playing the race card, the people most telling and constantly telling people of color they're repressed inferiors, which is diabolical to a person's sense of esteem and worth. And what reprehensible morons and hypocrites, further, that they characterize the white race as guilty? Conservative white people terrorists, too, of course. It's all so very stupid you have to wonder who is really buying into any of it not already on the psycho, lunatic fringe?
edit on 25-6-2021 by Scrutinizing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

The class is under black studies look at the authors they will be discussing. The astronomy part is the professor will be using astronomy to discuss black issues. They arent saying black holes are racist what he does is use black holes as an analgy to explain race relations. see the books they are discussing like the one from Denise Ferreira da Silva are not about astronomy . Bottom line this is an astronomy teacher that thought it woud be fun to use astronomy as a way to teach race relations.

That may be, but the course catalog identifies it as an astronomy course, as well as a comparative literature course. Doesn't sound like it is either of the two.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

Absolutely spot on. I would never have thought that until i read it.

Its everything that has the word "black" that is being rinsed.

Havn't heard about the black ball in pool yet, but im sure we will. Its the 8 ball so i wonder will they connect black and 8 = racism somehow.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

They're called black holes because they are literally the most extreme definition of black because zero light is capable of escaping the immense gravity of black holes so they appear literally entirely 100% black when we observe them.

Then again GitHub decided they needed to change the term master branch to main branch because...racism...

www.zdnet.com...

We're no longer allowed to black/white list anything.

There are people devoted to going around to every opensource project on github and submitting commits that do nothing but replace those terms.

Oh well...at least the students taking that Cornell course are getting their money's worth for their education...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join